Seven of the eight suspects who are accused of taking part in a brutal videotaped gang-rape of a teenager will appear in a South African court Wednesday to ask for bail.
It is unlikely that the suspects, accused in a crime that has shocked many in South Africa, will be granted bail, officials have said.
An eighth suspect, a man who was found with the victim, is scheduled to appear in court on May 4, court officials said.
The images of the assault of a 17-year-old girl, believed to be mentally ill, swept across the Internet last week and touched a nerve in South Africa.
The shocking footage shows the girl pleading for her attackers to stop, and it has some activists saying it is an example of the country's problem with rape.FULL STORY