April 26th, 2012

Liberia ex-president Taylor guilty in war crimes trial

An international war crimes tribunal Thursday found Liberia's former president, Charles Taylor, guilty of aiding and abetting rebels who raped, killed and mutilated civilians in neighboring Sierra Leone. However, prosecutors failed to prove that he had command over the rebels, a judge for the Special Court for Sierra Leone said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Liberia
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

It is good to see one of the grotesque African madmen called down from power and brought to judgment.
    I wonder how many "modern" liberals would think that a death penalty might be appropriate in this case were it legally available.
    Were death sentences of NAZI war criminals at WWII tribunals just?
    Was it all right to hang Eichmann in Israel?
    What about the execution of Ted Bundy?
    ----
    There are too many attempts by trolls these days to separate friends on this board. Please stop.

April 26, 2012 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
    • resumebuilderonline

So since he didn't have command over the rebels, what punishment is handed down to him?

June 28, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Madame Royale

Good mornung, JIF.
    It is gratifying to see that this man was found guilty of the atrocious crimes he committed.

Was Bundy's sentence just?
    I am against putting inncocent people to death based on faulty ot manufactured evidence, used by over-zealous prosectutors to close a case, in this country...does that make me a "modern" liberal?
    Such was not the case against Bundy.
    He deserved what he got.
    I just wish it hadn't taken so long.

The other cased you cited?
    They deserve what they got.

Charles Taylor?
    He deserves what he gets.

April 26, 2012 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  3. citizen

To extract the justice you ascribe to Joey, this man should be tortured. It would simply confirm your pathology.
    If you participate in these grotesque behaviors then you are crazy.
    Now a very few cases are clear cut, like this one.

April 26, 2012 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. Brandon

I just love CNN's choice of actions here. A personal bias in a news corporation is perhaps understandable, but simply deleting a post because it sounds insulting to the people in charge of the blog is cowardly and petty.

I had replied to JIF. I guess nobody likes harsh criticism, eh? Even when they are not included in the conversation? tsk tsk.

April 26, 2012 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Madame Royale

Brandon:
      Had it ever posted?
      Perhaps the computer filters caught it beforee it posted, for I didn't see any other post other than JIF's when I posted.

April 26, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

My quotation marks around "modern" referred to an answer to another of my posts.
    @ Madame Royale, good morning. Don't you have a ©?
    l am strongly opposed to any mistaken use of capital punishment. When there is the slightest doubt, the death penalty should not be available.
    DNA testing is a wonderful asset in this matter.
    @ Brandon:
    Good morning.

April 26, 2012 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Madame Royale

JIF:
      I had a terrible day with people yesterday.
      You had even commented on a nicely composed, if irrational sentence, to one of those.
      I am not sure if the © is proper to use on an actual historical figure....not that she has relatives to object, I don't think.
      I agree with your DP assesment.

April 26, 2012 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ Brandon:
    I didn't see a post from you that replied to anything I said.
    If such a post to me was removed, perhaps it was your "harsh criticism" was of me rather than of an opinion of mine.
    I'm sure that you and I would agree on many issues.

April 26, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  7. madmaninthemiddle

I've never posted anything harsh. I state my own opinion without attacking anyone else. Yet several times my comments didn't post. I wouldn't read too much into it.

April 26, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. saywhat

Those 'leaders' responsible for Bosnian massacre of civilians are immune from justice and so were those responsible for Sabira & Shatila refugee camp massacre or the 2008 massacre of civilians in the Gaza strip. The Iraq debacle, a crime against humanity & America
    Many a crimes against humanity remain without due justice by design.
    Double standards & bigotry rules.
    Good morning all.

April 26, 2012 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. Pete

Maybe this ex-president should have his hands cut off ,much like he did to children,men,and women.Sierra Leone is a place he should be held and let his victims have their say in what type of sentence to be handed out.An eye for an eye,my motto.Same as the middle east,if you're caught stealing,cut off his hand.Caught at adultry,a public stoning,nothing there for punishment takes long,its their culture,they don't screw around.Ya think twice before doing something illegal there...

April 28, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |