April 26th, 2012

U.S. to move 9,000 Marines from Okinawa

Some 9,000 U.S. Marines will be transferred off the Japanese island of Okinawa under an agreement reached by U.S. and Japanese officials, a U.S. Defense Department official said.

Post by:
Filed under: Guam • Japan • Marines • Military
  1. rickirs

Going to Australia?

April 26, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Mary

Thank you Cnn for a gripping piece of journalism... (sarcasm intended)
    Here's a tad bit more info

The shift of Marines from Okinawa to Guam has been in limbo for years because it was linked to the closure and replacement of Marine Corps Air Station Futenma. Okinawans fiercely oppose Futenma and believe the base should simply be closed and moved overseas or elsewhere in J apan. The U.S., however, has insisted that J apan find a Futenma replacement on Okinawa.

That issue remains unresolved.

The whole dispute over the U.S. military presence on Okinawa has its roots in the 1995 kidnapping and ra ype of a schoolgirl by three American servicemen. Top U.S. government officials publicly apologized for the crime, but tensions continued to grow despite a strong desire by Tokyo and Washington to maintain their historically close military and political alliance.

April 26, 2012 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. scotty

Tremendous amount of info here. Thank you.
    These marines will join the marines from subic bay in their new home on Hawaii. We are shifting our focus to that side of the world.

April 27, 2012 at 12:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Tark Mwain

Now thats funny... .

April 27, 2012 at 12:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. C. Eastwood (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

I would of voted for Barrack this year, untill I found out he's "slightly advanced".

April 27, 2012 at 12:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Godzilla

I am glad to hear of this. :D

Part of the base used to be my old stomping grounds. It would be nice to walk on it once again without being targeted and perhaps shot at. I'm not as young as I once was. A modern missile might actually hurt me.

I also have this constant ache all along the left side of my body where Mothra got me really good once.

Although these are preliminary steps, I welcome them all the same.
    It is better than the old stonewalling from the old stonefaces who bluff their way through life, refusing to lose face.

April 27, 2012 at 5:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. jim the honest fixed income trader

Went to central texas college (go fighting armadillos) and still payed the loan off in one check

April 27, 2012 at 7:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Philip

@Jeff Frank, scotty...you were both here last night and saw my posts. Notice ea. and every single one of them have been deleted, about a dozen in all. WHY? All I did was pose the question 'why, out of all the sci-fi books ever written and flying saucer movies ever produced...why is it that not even one pretends like flying saucers originated on earth and are really man-made? Creative minds have imagined every other possible scenario, why not Nazi Flying Saucers? It would make a GREAT movie. Why would cNN delete my entire thread?

April 27, 2012 at 9:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dinner Plate Eyes

Because..........flying saucers aren't the topic of this thread????????? Where's Jeff Frank's post? It's been deleted....................guess your not the only one................feel free to delete this. Totally off topic.

April 27, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  9. Ripley, believe it! Or dont!

lol maybe because its NOT YOUR thread, its CNNs.

April 27, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse | Reply