April 27th, 2012

Lawyer to tell judge about Zimmerman donation money

The $200,000 that George Zimmerman got from supporters will be discussed at a court hearing Friday morning in Florida, a defense attorney in the case said.

Zimmerman, who is charged with second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, has been given about $204,000 from supporters his lawyer Mark O'Mara said.

O'Mara told CNN's "AC360" that Zimmerman told him Wednesday of the donations as they were trying to shut down his Internet presence to avoid concerns about possible impersonators and problems with his Twitter and Facebook accounts.

"He asked me what to do with his PayPal accounts and I asked him what he was talking about," O'Mara told Anderson Cooper. "And he said those were the accounts that had the money from the website he had. And there was about ... $204,000 that had come in to date."

O'Mara had said earlier this month that he believed Zimmerman had no money. "I think he's indigent for costs," he said, adding that Zimmerman's relatives had few assets.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Justice • U.S.
  1. raven

I gotta hangnail and I'm indigent for costs, will my supporters please cough up some dough? And shhh, I'm not gonna tell anyone, not even my attorney.

April 27, 2012 at 1:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

cough, cough, cough

April 27, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. WIZARD

I hope Mr. Zimmerman gets multi million dollars in donations so that he can be aquitted of that trumped up charge against him so he can return to his family and go on with his life. Mr. Zimmerman deserves it!

April 27, 2012 at 3:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. ron

I'm sure O'Mara will know what to do with that money-take half of it!

April 27, 2012 at 5:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. ron

@ raven: so sorry to hear the terrible news about your hangnail. I will personally spearhead that charity event for you so we can get you the help you need. We'll take this puppy nationwide! Of course being the deserving person that I am it's only fair that I also be compensated for my hard work and dedication to your plight. Get "well" soon!

April 27, 2012 at 5:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. KcCritic

Im sure that means the pro bono isoff the table now. Zimmerman sure has a lot of supporters. I just want the truth to come out. Was it murder? self defense? I wasnt there but from what ive heard and read/ its going to be a hard case for a jury to decide. Im thankful im not a juror on this case. And no matter the outcome/ there will be no winners.

April 27, 2012 at 6:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. PEDO BEAR

Save the tax payers the hassle and money. Just fry the burrito already!

April 27, 2012 at 6:49 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. bobcat (in a hat) ©

An aspiring young lawyer was sitting in her office late one night, when Satan appeared before her. The Devil told the lawyer "I have a proposition for you..."

"You can win every case you try for the rest of your life. Your clients will adore you, your colleagues will stand in awe of you, and you will make embarrassing sums of money. All I want in exchange is your your husband's soul, your children's souls, the souls of your parents, grandparents, and the souls of all your friends and law partners."

The lawyer ponders this for a moment, then finally asks: "So, what's the catch?"

April 27, 2012 at 10:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • BOMBO ©

It's funny because it's true. And I saw the movie. Al Pacino, Keanu Reeves....

April 27, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

'Devil's Advocate', right?

April 27, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jim

So how much did the martins make selling tee shirts?

April 27, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • mickey1313

Oh they don't talk about that, can't make it seem like they're profiting from their loss.

April 27, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Wasn't on the sly though? It was out in the open for all to see. Unlike the Zimmermans, having a father who was a judge and knows the law to keep it under wraps and layers for deceit, Zimmermans sister-in-law preluded to it in court hearing for G. Zimmmerman. It was known among the family members.

April 27, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

The Martins won't see any of that money either. It's all for Sharpton, and the lawyers that they have hired.

April 27, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

They were not making money others were. She did put in for the rights to her sons name though. I guess she will get royalty rights to his name. Unlike paypals for Zimmerman.

April 27, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

The one with the most money wins! That's America!

April 27, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ripley, believe it! Or dont!

@ scottish mama, agreed! He has it set up under various pay pals, that right there tells you there was intent for scam! And hellooooo bobcat! Very good joke!

April 27, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

Hello Ripley, Long time no see.

April 27, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ripley, believe it! Or dont!

Yep, and i see nothing much has changed. Lol i read Sir Philips numerous chapters to his latest science fiction novel early this morning. I prefer your jokes lmao.

April 27, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. bobcat (in a hat) ©

Thank you Ripley (biod). Nothing has changed here. That's why I decided to go a different route. I thought maybe some smile makers might make a difference.

April 27, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. BOMBO ©

I don't get it. What are people up in arms about? I heard early on that there was a legal defense fund that you could contribute to. I thought it was public knowledge. Are people upset by the amount, or the fact that it was not specifically brought up at the bail hearing? Maybe the prosecuters should have brought it up. But Zimmerman is not going to be living high on the hog, people. All of that money will go to the lawyers, plus the cost of the private expert witnesses Zimmerman will no doubt need in this politically charged case (forensics, audio experts, video experts, ballistics experts). They don't work for free.

April 27, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • BMcGee

Apparently his new lawyer was the only one who didn't know about the defense fund. It was all over the news the day before Zimmerman was arrested.

April 27, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@Bombo he said he was indigent at the bond hearing. I think the fuss is about hiding the knowledge of it, when it is your brother with the dough.

April 27, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. noworries

Besides he will need to pay the bodyguards

April 27, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Wow!!

Supporting a child killer??wow!! Giving him money?wow!You people must still be upset about the O.J. Simpson not guilty verdict?

April 27, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bubba

Where do I send the check?

April 27, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ian

White people march with their wallets. lol or should I say Hispanics,?

April 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Scottish Mama

And hide it on offshore paypals?

April 27, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |