Tigers outfielder arrested; hate crime investigation under way
Detroit Tigers outfielder Delmon Young was in police custody Friday morning.
April 27th, 2012

Tigers outfielder arrested; hate crime investigation under way

Detroit Tigers outfielder Delmon Young was arrested in Manhattan early Friday and charged with aggravated harassment after a dispute with another man, New York police said.

Young appeared intoxicated when police arrived at the scene outside the New York Hilton, and he was treated and released from a hospital Friday morning, police Detective Martin Speechley said. The other person involved in the dispute, a 26-year-old male, sustained minor injuries but refused treatment, Speechley said.

Young was in police custody Friday morning, the detective said.

The aggravated harassment charge is a misdemeanor, but Speechley said the case is being investigated as a possible hate crime because of "religious statements made" during the dispute. If there is evidence to support a hate crime, the seriousness of the charge would be "elevated," he said.

The team issued a brief statement Friday afternoon.

"We are aware of the situation, however it is our club policy not to comment on pending legal matters," the statement said. "As we understand it, this is an allegation and we need to allow the legal process to take its course."

The Tigers are in New York for a three-game series against the Yankees beginning Friday.

The team lost to the Seattle Mariners in Detroit on Thursday afternoon before flying to New York.

Post by:
Filed under: Baseball • Crime • Hate crime • Sports
  1. Philip

Yeah righghght. We should continue to tolerate religious whackos and their wolf god burning hell and earth created in 6 days b/s. And let's have our State Homes do our home schooling while we're at it.

April 27, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • mikaman3000

Are we supposed to take posts seriously from people whose parents named them after what they like to do to little boys

April 27, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • dolanswelding

let's just hope this isn't too serious and pray for the best.

April 27, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

I thought the allegation was that Delmon Young was assaulting this guy because the guy wouldn't stop talking about JC. Regardless, does it matter?

April 27, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat) ©

Bill Clinton was at a baseball game. Before the game began a secret service man came up to him and whispered in his ear.

President Clinton suddenly picked up Hillary and threw her out on the field.

The secret service man came running up to him and said, "Mr. President Sir, I think you misunderstood me; I said throw out the first pitch."

April 27, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • sayitstr8r

sort of reminds me of the one about your mother, or was that wife, or sister. funny stuff, huh? and true true true – about you mr big load

April 27, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rex Riley

Dumb

April 27, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bill

Put the lotion on the skin

April 27, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Philip

Let's have Ivy League Schools teach the wolf god theory of a burning hell...geologists teaching the earth was made in 6 literal days. Why just tolerate these so-called "christian" religions who teach this b/s to our kids. Heck. Let's even put men who tout the wolf god hell into political positions, them being so wise as to see a burning hellfire and some gods 6 days of creation myth.

April 27, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeff Miller

Phillip, go soak your poor tormented shrunken head.

April 27, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. University Final Exam

How many days did it take god to design hell?

April 27, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Mary

oh oh oh!!! I know... None, There is no such place. (duh) ;)

April 27, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Josh

Wait, I thought only white folks were capable of committing hate crimes. At least that's what the media has always led me to believe. And why isn't the race and religion of the "victim" detailed in this otherwise masterful piece of journalism? Never mind, I already know the answer.

April 27, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • CedarRapids

no the media never say that but your just a prejudiced fool that likes to make comments because you think its proving some bs point or something because you will still continue to go on making comments in the future about only white getting charged and whatnot.

April 27, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. David

Blacks are from Mars, Jews are from Venus.....

Partners on the Civil Rights Movement, but they have zero in common otherwise...

April 27, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Mrs. Smith

Uf bringing up religion is a hate crime now, there are a lot of guilty people here on these boards alone.

April 27, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mrs. Smith

Excuse me? I am giving my view on things. I am not stalking anyone at all.

April 27, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mary

Good bye Mrs. Smith ;(

April 27, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mrs. Smith

It's an unfortunate fact. I don't know what this man said, but people are persecuted for their views on religion all the time; atheist or believer, hatred abounds.

April 27, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

@ Mrs. Smith why are you stalking me or are you stalking Philip?

April 27, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mrs. Smith

These boards post weirdly.
      I said, I am not stalking anyone.
      I gave an opinion, you answered me, and now I am answering you. I find your posts interesting, and I thought I would add my two cents. If that is somehow offensive, I won't reply to any of your posts again.

April 27, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bobhat (In a cat)

I like racism

April 27, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

cute

April 27, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

Don'tcha just hate it when a holy man shouts "burn in hell"? Or when he says god created the earth in 6 days while keeping a straight face? I admit, it's better than having them hump on our boys or fondle our little girls with the cops never being called even when church leaders find out, as if these wise men can handle internally what they say god needs hell for.

April 27, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Mary

And when Church leaders do NOT call the police, is that not a crime in it self for NOT reporting it to the PROPER authorities.
    R aype or fondling is a crime as is mandated to report the police. Yes?

April 27, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mrs. Smith

If you are refering to the RCC, they are not, unfortunately, duty bound to call the police automatically, no. However, they ARE subject to the laws of the individual and the United States, and victims (or their parents) should bring in the proper authorities outside of the RCC. The law of this land superscedes the law of the church.

April 27, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mrs. Smith

The parents of these unfortunate victims are the ones who should alert the police. The RCC (or any other church) will not do it, just as any other organization that has any power will not do it. Repugnant as that is, that's the way it is.

April 27, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. cnnsukz

Another illuminati conspiracy.

April 27, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mrs. Smith

What?

April 27, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. What!!?

Cut him some slack. He may have had a bad day at the plate. Perfectly justifiable.

April 27, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply