Suu Kyi to take Myanmar parliament oath, ending deadlock
Aung San Suu Kyi's party has asked that the wording of an oath that lawmakers have to take be altered.
April 30th, 2012

Suu Kyi to take Myanmar parliament oath, ending deadlock

The Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi said Monday that she would take a swearing-in oath at the country's parliament, apparently resolving an impasse that had been preventing her from taking up her seat in the legislature.

"I will go to the parliament because there is a demand of people who voted for me," Suu Kyi said after meeting with party members.

She and 42 other newly elected members of her party, the National League for Democracy, had been delaying their debuts in parliament because they objected to the wording of the oath they would have to take.

The NLD had asked authorities to amend the oath to say that parliamentarians will "abide by" the constitution rather than "protect" it. But the government of President Thein Sein didn't appear to show any sign of moving to accommodate the request.

Suu Kyi said Monday that she would "take an oath for the country and for the people."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Myanmar • World
  1. bobcat (in a hat) ©

Here we go again. My comment is awaiting moderation.

April 30, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

That happened to me yesterday...four hours later, it posted, but was a little irrelevant by then, since they don't post it where it was meant to go.

April 30, 2012 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

Just out of curiosity. While my comment "awaits moderatio", are you able to see what I posted ? I ask because it is currently on the board.

April 30, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

Just out of curiosity. While my comment "awaits moderation", are you able to see what I posted ? I ask because it is currently on the board.

April 30, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I cannot see it, but you can on your screen, as you're the one who posted it.

April 30, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

Well, hopefully they will release it later.

April 30, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Lol.
    That's because she's not.

April 30, 2012 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  3. fernace

Let's hope it does make a difference for the Myanmar people & Suu Kyi herself! She's worked long & hard for this!!

April 30, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat) ©

A short Polish immigrant went to apply for a driver's license.

First, of course, he had to take an eye sight test.

The optician showed him a card with the letters. On the bottom row were these letters:

'C Z W I N O S T A C Z.'

'Can you read this?' the optician asked.

'Read it?' the Polish guy replied – 'I know the fellow.'

April 30, 2012 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Perfect!!
      Lmao!

April 30, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat(iah), I like that joke. I went to a Polish Restaurant with a friend and there was something on the menu that said Zrazy. I have to check out what that means. Happy Monday all!

April 30, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat) ©

A man was walking through a forest pondering life. He walked, pondered, walked, and pondered. He felt very close to nature and even close to God. He felt so close to God that he felt if he spoke God would listen. So he asked, "God, are you listening?"

And God replied, "Yes my son, I am here."

The man stopped and pondered some more.

He looked towards the sky and said, "God, what is a million years to you?"

God replied, "Well my son, a second to me is like a million years to you."

So the man continued to walk and to ponder... walk and ponder... Then he looked to the sky again and said, "God, what is a million dollars to you?"

And God replied, "My son, my son...a penny to me is like a million dollars to you. It means almost nothing to me. It does not even have a value it is so little."

The man looked down, pondered a bit and then looked up to the sky and said, "God, can I have a million dollars?"

And God replied, "In a second."

April 30, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat) ©

Just one more. Groaner of the day.
    One day as Monica Lewinsky was walking along the beach awaiting her Senate trial testimony, she came upon an ornate bottle that had washed up on shore. Curious, she picked it up, brushed off the sand, and lo and behold a genie popped out.

"Greetings, Miss Lewinsky," the genie said. "Since you have released me, I will grant you one wish."

"Well," Monica replied, "I'm going to be on television alot for a while, and I want to look my best. I wish you would get rid of these love handles."

"Your wish is my command," said the genie. A wave of his hands, a puff of smoke...

And her ears promptly fell off.

April 30, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

*Groan*

April 30, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

Thank you for the groan. That one needed it.

April 30, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Chumlee

Aung San Suu Kyl: Now please call all of your people who have invaded the US as refugees back to your/their
    country.

US taxpayers do not need to feed, house, educate, provide health care for refugees. The US needs to take care of
    Americans first. We do not need to care for your people.

April 30, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. @Bock Bock Jacker

What is the purpose of your continued existance...are you ditching school again?

April 30, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dazzle ©

Not me at 420pm. My troll, you are getting very clever!

April 30, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. red bottom

Valuable info. Fortunate me I found your site unintentionally, and I am surprised why this accident did not came about earlier! I bookmarked it. red bottom

August 16, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |