The acting inspector general of the Department of Homeland Security has announced he will launch a separate investigation into the Secret Service prostitution scandal.
The "field work is beginning immediately," acting Inspector General Charles Edwards said in a statement Monday.
"We have maintained close contact with the USSS (United States Secret Service), coordinating with them as their internal investigation continued. Last week, with the initial stages of the USSS internal investigation nearing completion, we notified the USSS of our intent to conduct a comprehensive review of this matter," his statement said. "As we notified the USSS last week, OIG's (Office of Inspector General) field work is beginning immediately."
The development comes as Secret Service Director Mark Sullivan faces a pair of deadlines Tuesday to answer dozens of questions relating to the scandal.FULL STORY