May 1st, 2012

Tuesday's live events

The focus of the presidential election is turning toward November's general election.  Watch CNN.com Live for all the latest news and views from the campaign trail.

Today's programming highlights...

12:00 pm ET - John King live chat - CNN's John King is back for his weekly chat on CNN.com Live!  Don't be surprised if he talks about the anniversary of Osama bin Laden's death, and how the candidates are reacting to it.  Send your questions to John via Twitter @JohnKingCNN and he may answer them live.

12:00 pm ET - May Day protest in Los Angeles - Today is May Day, and Occupy groups nationwide are calling on their supporters to march and rally in solidarity for economic justice.  One such protest is scheduled for Los Angeles.

2:10 pm ET - Romney in New York - Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani will join GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney at a campaign event at a New York fire station.

3:00 pm ET - White House briefing – The bin Laden anniversary, the Secret Service scandal and the fate of a blind Chinese dissident will likely top Press Secretary Jay Carney's agenda with the White House press corps.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Elections • On CNN.com today • Politics
  1. Pete

Romney tryin to kiss up to Rudy again,its getting pretty apparent that no one,I mean no one wants the VP position with the republican leper.They want a career after this election year and they know how the political marriage went between McCain and Palin,not good..So they'd rather help him locally or help out some nationally, but that's the extent of their political involvement with the clown prince.Christie is so arrogent,so egotistical,that he's waiting for Romney to basically hand him the VP position on a silver platter publicly with Christie sayin,I told ya so...How ignorence can spur arrogence is beyond me,but Christies right up there with Romney ,McCain and Bush as viable brain transplant recipients,because right now they don't show any...So Mr Romney keep fishing for that VP,there's got to be some illiterate,ignorent ,arrogent example of a republican that will want to be your political sacrificial lamb ,this your last time around politically.

May 1, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. bobcat (in a hat) ©

A New York City yuppie moved to the country and bought a piece of land.

He went to the local feed and livestock store and talked to the proprietor about how he was going to take up chicken farming.

He then asked to buy 100 chicks.

"That's a lot of chicks," commented the proprietor.

"I mean business," the city slicker replied.

A week later the yuppie was back again. "I need another 100 chicks," he said.

"Boy, you are serious about this chicken farming," the man told him."Yeah," the yuppie replied, "if I can iron out a few problems."

"Problems?" asked the proprietor.

"Yeah," replied the yuppie, "I think I planted that last batch too close together."

May 1, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. saywhat

@ Pete
    A tad harsh but not off the mark. Imagine Romney as President with Guiliani as VP. A nightmarish recipe for disaster and misfortune for this country.
    In fact Romney as president with any running mate spells that.
    Good morning all.

May 1, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. saywhat

Hi @ bobcat. You are on the go friend.

May 1, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Scottish Mama

@bobcat (iah) lol. thanks again.

May 1, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. saywhat

What's there to celebrate on OBL's death 'anniversary? Legacy of death, destruction & disaster in Iraq & Afghanistan? looking back at the past decade & continuation in Afghanistan, it should be a quiet sobering moment and an event best put behind us.
    Celebration? It exposes our weakness & struggle of 10 years to get this man. We shouldn't add to the stature of OBL by marking his death with pomp & show.

May 1, 2012 at 10:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Scottish Mama

On the Bin Ladan story- republicans make it seem like we do not celibrate anniversary's in America. We celibrate the anniversary of The towers we should celibrate the death of the person who killed many of our fellow americans that day. Romney was against it and wafffles every time he makes decisions. We celibrated together as americans 1 year ago and we will stand together today to say we put a kink in the terrorist plans. They will keep on coming until we are at peace with the ones that want to kill us or we kill them first. Until the people that are recruited start to kill the terrorist captors, we have only to look forward to them trying to kill us. The random acts are almost impossible to catch all of them. I am happy we have people who wish to put their lives on the line to care for their country. Thank you secreet services and our soldiers, it is and will be an on going onslaught on americans. We stand behind the ones that fight for america and what she stands for. Together.

May 1, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Scottish Mama

I also wanted to say when President Obama made the decision to kill Bin Laden the republicans took credit for the intel during the Bush admin. that they said helped to kill him. If they knew he was there for 10 years why didn't they make the decision to kill him?

May 1, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. saywhat

I beg to disagree @ Scottish Mama on your points on celebrating this event.
    Looking in from the outside it shows this great nation as clutching at straws to mark some sort of 'victory'. It belittles this country.
    This is no ticker parade moment.

May 1, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Scottish Mama

no, but it is a reelection year. Tout your resume year.

May 1, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat (in a hat) ©

That was so hypocritical of the republicans on that when Bush himself said, " I don't know where nin Laden is and I don't care." He had more important things to do, ie going after the uber dangerous Saddam Hussein.

May 1, 2012 at 10:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Scottish Mama

@saywhat- Maybe celibrate is the word I misused and is the word that seems to bother you. I think to *recognize* this day as an event in the fight against terrorism is not a bad thing. I did not celibrate Bin Ladens death last year as I find killing anyone not a good thing. Killing Bin Laden cut off the head but another always grows back. I think recognizing it is to recognizes we have put a dent in it.(for a while).
    My point is republicans could not give President Obama credit for the kill then(they wanted the credit for the intel) and now they want to say that saying Romney would have made the decision is speculation. Bin Laden is dead and President Obama made the decision. NO matter what this President does will never be good enough for republicans. Even if it is what they cried out for.

May 1, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • saywhat

Agree with you there @ Scottish Mama.Election year & all.
      Had we nabbed him when we invaded Afghanistan ,on our own or when Talibans offered to hand him over twice (Bush rejected) that could have given us cause to proclaim" mission accomplished".

May 1, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Scottish Mama

@saywhat – I called it before he said it at the firehouse he is at with Mayor Guiliani. Speculation. (now they are saying anyone would have done it) Now a heckler is calling him racist over and over. They have taken her away now. He is marking the 1 year anniversary.
    But Saywhat the original purpose was not to get Bin Laden but was to get Bush/Cheney more money by establishing The Carlyle Group and Halburton for oil and sub-contracting money.

May 1, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. kellyintulsa

@ Scottish Mama I couldn't agree with you more. The republicans hate President Obama because he's a democrat. They want credit for things that when Bush was in office they couldn't complete or didn't care to. Obama stepped in stepped up and took care of business the way a president should do. I can't say I'm a fan of Romney but that may be because of his religious beliefs. Not sure I want a president like him and besides what does he have in common with me ? Nothing that I know of. Another spoiled little rich boy who wants to be president because he thinks money can buy the office. The whole problem is that they are forgetting that they are there because we put them there and they are suppose to be doing what the people say not what some company wants them to do !!

May 1, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Scottish Mama

@kelly-HI! I would not vote for Romney either. Not because he is Mormon though. I think I agree with you on what he has in common with me. He could be wealthy as we all know you have to have wealthy or money behind you to become president. I think you are also correct as I do not see anything that makes me want to vote for him. He is out of touch with working people at a time when we need someone to help us and not their pocketbooks. Now all we need is some people in office to help President Obama get some things passed to help us out.

May 1, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse | Reply