Four minors accused in a videotaped gang rape of a mentally disabled teenager in South Africa were released Thursday on $67 bail, their lawyer told CNN.
Four adults are also suspects in the case. Their bail hearing will be June 20, a court spokesman said last week.
The images of the assault of the 17-year-old girl, believed to be mentally ill, swept across the Internet and touched a nerve in South Africa.
The shocking footage shows the girl pleading for her attackers to stop, and it has some activists saying it is an example of the country's problem with rape.
The girl went missing on March 21. Police suspect she was kidnapped and turned into a sex slave.
The cell phone video of her gang rape surfaced and went viral among schoolchildren in Soweto, a vast township near Johannesburg.
The Daily Sun, a local tabloid, alerted police about the attack after a concerned mother whose daughter was watching the video handed it over to the newspaper.
Police embarked on a search for the girl and the people in the video.
Eight suspects have been arrested and charged with kidnapping and raping the teen. Seven of them were seen on the video; the other was a 37-year-old man found with the girl.