Angels' Weaver throws no-hitter against Twins
Jered Weaver of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim celebrates with catcher Chris Iannetta after throwing a no-hitter against the Minnesota Twins on Wednesday.y 2, 2012 in Anaheim, California.
May 3rd, 2012

Angels' Weaver throws no-hitter against Twins

Los Angeles Angels pitcher Jered Weaver tossed the second no-hitter of the Major League season on Wednesday night, shutting down the Minnesota Twins 9-0 in Anaheim.

Weaver missed a perfect game by two batters, with Chris Parmelee reaching base in the 2nd on a passed ball after a strikeout, and Josh Willingham walking in the seventh.

Weaver threw 121 pitches, 77 for strikes.

Weaver, 29, is a Southern California product, hailing from Northridge and attending Long Beach State, and he had plenty of personal support among the 27,288 in the stands Wednesday night.

"It was unbelievably neat to get it in front of friends and family," Weaver was quoted as saying by ESPN LA.

Weaver's father, Dave, was in the stands.

"I get so nervous sometimes I have to go stick my head in a toilet," Dave Weaver said, according to a Los Angeles Times report. "It gets so nerve-racking, and he's been close before. But after 8 1/3 innings, I figured he'd have a chance."

The victory moved Weaver to 4-0 on the season and lowered his earned run average to 1.61.

"It still hasn't totally sunk in yet," he said on the field after the game, according to a report in the Orange County Register. "It's so surreal."

The first no-hitter of the 2012 season was on April 21, when Philip Humber of the Chicago White Sox shut out the Seattle Mariners 4-0. Humber's win was a perfect game, meaning no Mariners reached base.

Post by:
Filed under: Baseball • Sports
  1. dave

I had to check to make sure the Angels won. Looks like the Angels have found a way to get a win.

May 3, 2012 at 7:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. pj77

2nd one of the season. This is good for baseball.

May 3, 2012 at 8:02 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Yep

So I guess when you take out the steroids in baseball, your left with people who can't even hit a ball any longer.

May 3, 2012 at 8:17 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chuck in Jasper Ga.

Right, it has nothing to do with a pitcher's skill and control of the ball. One thing about your posting is true... the guessing part.

May 3, 2012 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
    • ArchieDeBunker

So, I guess when you let just anybody respond to these articles you get guys who don't know the difference between "your" and "you're."

May 3, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. Yep

Of course I have never played the game myself and can't even swing a bat.

May 3, 2012 at 8:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Yep

In matter of fact, I must admit that if I had to stand in the batter's box against this pitcher I would probably end up loading/wetting my pants.

May 3, 2012 at 8:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Jeremy

Is it me or are the MLB umps really inconsistant? I can't even count how many times I have seen clearly outside pitches (like 3-6 inches outside) called strikes (Especially against my Jays!) and most never call high strikes. Weaver was great last night but he too was on the right end of some questionable strike calls.

May 3, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. elmo riffcan

Good for you young man!!! That is all.

May 3, 2012 at 8:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. areacode612

The Twins are horrible. Nothing really to be proud about. They only have 2-3 legit Big League players on their roster.

May 3, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Matt from MN

I agree, the Twins are horrible. Nonetheless, the latter portion of your statement is preposterous.

May 3, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Seola

Matt – as a Twins fan, so much so I birthed identicals in my show of solidarity – he's right. 2-3 tops. Mauer of course but Morneau? Way overpaid, always hurt, never consistent. Casilla? Nice guy, not big leagues – there's a reason he bounces up and down from Roch. Gardy sent Revere down when he was better than Casilla or Plouffe. Willingham is a good one... so that's two. Hmm, thinking... thinking.... Valencia, but he needs more consistency in the higher ranges.... not a single pitcher worth a darn. We dumped anything good we've had over 3-4 years. Fire Gardy.

Face it. We're awful.

May 3, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat (in a hat) ©

A man name Jose came to Miami and wanted to attend a big league game. To his dismay he found that all the seats were sold out. However, the management gave him a high seat by the flagpole. When he returned to his home country his friends asked him, "What kind of people are those Americans?"

He said, "Fine people, they gave me a special seat at the ball game and just before the game started that all stood up
    and sang Jose can you see !?

I know this a very old joke, but the reason I posted it is it made think about the first time I heard it back in the sixties. There was a character named Jose Jiminez on one of those comedy shows. I can't remember the actors real name or the name of the show. Does anyone out here remember that ?

May 3, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • CenTexan©

LOL ! OMG bobcat I had never heard that one before...too funny!

May 3, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Sure do

It was Bill Dana.

May 3, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. stephenb

"nothing to do with a pitchers skill or control of the ball'" He just has to face 27 batters without one of them getting a hit. Guess you never pitched did you?

May 3, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Noocrat

I don't want to take anything away from Weaver, but as a lifelong Twins fan, I don't know if I'd count this as too much of an accomplishment. We're essentially a AA ball club on track for the worst record in baseball history.

May 3, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Seola

You give us far too much credit. Fire Gardy.

May 3, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  12. Seola

I watched the game, he was getting some REALLY good calls. As in, almost in the dirt, almost hitting batters heads – the strike zone the ump gave him, especially towards the 7th, 8th and 9th was the side of a barn. There is no way, in any other game, with any other ump this would have happened. He walked at least 6 more guys that he got called strikes for.

May 3, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Huge Angels Fan

You can say whatever you want to try and discount this accomplishment by our pitcher Weaver. I was at his last home start just over a week ago and he is extremely consistent. Jared is a CLASS ACT and turned down millions of dollars when renewing his contract to STAY HERE in Socal and play for the Angels. His Father, Mother and wife were all there to witness this milestone achievement and it was awesome to see. These last three games should be the extra boost my Angels needed to start playing more consistently and win the American League West AND the World Series this year. As a fan of the Angels for over 40 years, this is something I will remember for the rest of my life. You are a warrior and a great example of how to respect your team....your city....and your fans. THANK YOU!!

May 3, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply