Overheard on CNN.com: 'Kiss my carry-on,' reader says of Spirit's new $100 fee
Spirit Airlines will charge $100 for carry-on baggage registered at the gate starting November 6.
May 3rd, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: 'Kiss my carry-on,' reader says of Spirit's new $100 fee

Spirit Airlines is raising its fee for carry-on bags to up to $100. Most other airlines let you bring the bags for free, and our readers were wondering whether this move signifies a new trend for the airline industry. Some commenters said they are eager to see an incentive for fliers to check their bags instead of carrying them onboard.

Spirit Air to charge up to $100 for carry-on bags

Many readers said they were tired of watching people try to cram too much stuff in the overhead bins.

kafoste: "I think the first checked bag within weight limits should be free..and charge for second and onward..as far as carry ons..should be no cost for briefcase or laptop sized bags, purses etc...but yes the rest trying to stuff everything they own into a carry-on should be charged..have seen too many delayed planes due to someone jamming a bag into an overhead storage that doesnt fit but they try to make it 'fit' ..."

This commenter says they are already shipping bags rather than taking them on planes.

stonrdude: "They can kiss my carry-on. I do not fly Spirit nor am I about to start. It is greed and price gouging. If they cannot afford it, they should not be in business. Passengers have a choice, even if I had to pay that fee one time, I would never go back to Spirit. I already send my bags UPS. No hassle, no fuss. I have no Spirit."

These readers said the fees could actually be a good thing.

inc0gnit0: "The bottom line is price. Assuming that service is similar and you feel comfortable with the airline, if the total price including fees is less people will go for the cheaper airline. As a business strategy, it is not entirely bad. Encouraging people to check their bags may not be popular, but it means that people are also less likely to bring food onboard and more likely to buy it from them."

sharkflyt: "I think bag fees are fine and it does allow more space on board. People will just have to understand that fuel is not free and weight on an airplane is costly. This is reality folks!!!"

Crunching the numbers raised a dilemma for one commenter.

beowulfpk: "Recently priced a flight:
Southwest Total (Fees, taxes and bags) $395
Spirit Total (Fees, Taxes and bags) $198
Both are non-stop and fit my schedule, but I hate Spirit. Who do you choose?"

Would shipping be cheaper?

Innkahoots: "Might as well send it UPS. But I dont need to fly. From where I live to (Portland, Oregon), it takes the same amount of time to drive and costs 1/4 less than flying. But I have my truck and can take my dog if I want. I'd rather see the Columbia Gorge than have to sit at SeaTac for two hours. Flying these days? No sir, didn't like it."

Are fees like this inevitable?

wordswords: "I fly Spirit all the time. Never have I said 'that guy's bag is holding us up.' This is just pure greed plain and simple. I can understand price raising for other reasons but don't jerk our chains please. Of course ... after this goes into effect, I won't be flying Spirit any longer. Jet Blue will then be much cheaper for my flight schedules."

sharkflyt: "It's not greed! You're just being too cheap to keep people employed! Way to go! You see, even Jet Blue will be charging more for bags very soon. SWA will be raising fares and you should get used to it!!!"

Maybe it's time to kill two birds with one stone.

dolphinxfan: "The new name for Spirit Airlines will be Nudist Air when they start chaging for wearing clothes. However, that makes TSA happy since they can actually view what they are groping."

What do you think? If you could create the ideal bag fee configuration, what would you implement? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Air travel • Overheard on CNN.com • Travel
  1. ♚Mmmmm♛

regulation and more consumer protection! ...pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzze!

May 3, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. **cosmicVox *

. After this and what they did with that dieing war vetran they should henceforth be known as Evil Spirit Airlines.

May 3, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Karen

Stop this. Stop. It. Are you gonna charge for purses and diaper bags too?!

May 3, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. **cosmicVox *

... dying veteran. Good point Karen, I was wondering the same thing.

May 3, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. raven

You ever travel by bus? I have. Once. I swore I would never do it again. Airlines are becoming more and more like flying Greyhound Buses: from grody bathrooms to rude employees. But flying is still the lesser of two evils; the longest planeride is still less travel time than the shortest bus ride. It does burn me up that every time I fly there is some new "fee",though.

May 3, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. banasy©

I fly Southwest.
    No fuss, no muss.
    I have •never• heard anything good about Spirit.

May 3, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Rattus

Just one of many reasons I do not travel by air.

May 3, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Philip

W2kve been kissing major airline butt for decades. Of all the crude oil we use, 9% goes for jet fuel. (5% for gasoline) We do get gouged at the pump (duh). But as far as fueling airlines we take-it up the rump.

May 3, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Trailways

Im with rattus,I also dont fly because of these ridiculous charges! Its much cheaper to drive to hawaii or europe from the states.

May 4, 2012 at 12:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

Now •that's• funny!

May 4, 2012 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  10. mickey1313

Between the fascist tsa and the outrageous fees, i would never fully again. A shame that the terrorists have gotten what they want.

May 4, 2012 at 12:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. drap

Im with trailways..you cant get a bag of peanuts on flights anymore..but you can always pick-up a bag at any 7-11 on the drive to hawaii... .

May 4, 2012 at 12:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. **cosmicVox *

...Get your Kicks on Route 66. See the U.S.A. in your Chevrolet ;-)

May 4, 2012 at 1:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. just the one Greyhound

I had to take a Greyound bus out of the Nevada desert about 20 yrs. ago. Almost every single person on the bus...all but maybe 4 or 5 people, were black. I had tow seats to choose from; the middle seat between two wannabe gangsta punks, and two overly obese hags with enough arm flab to warrant paying half my fare. The only thing wose than their smelly flab was their smelly convo. Disgusting. I'll walk next time, ty.

May 4, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. TheBuckStopsHere

Why the hell does anyone bother to use these jokers anymore?

May 4, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Scottish Mama

I brought this story up yeasterday and was nay-sayed for bringing it up on another thread about planes.
    Boycott (as cosmovox says) Evil Spirit Airlines. I said yeasterday the profits had quadrupled since the 1st quarter last year at this time. The CEO could have given the $179.00 back out of his bonus pocket or given a new ticket to the Cancer ridden Vets daughter, because she is going to see him instead. Na naa boo boo to the person who made fun of me yesterday.

May 4, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply