24 hours through the lens
May 3rd, 2012

The CNN Daily Mash-up

The CNN Daily Mash-up is a roundup of some of the most interesting, surprising, curious, poignant or significant items to appear on CNN.com in the past 24 hours. We'll top it with a collection of the day's most striking photographs. Your comments, as always, are welcome.

Dolphins to be returned to wild

A wildlife rescue group that rescued two dolphins from a filthy resort pool is getting ready to release the now-healthy animals into the wild. But can the animals handle life apart from humans?

French turn a protest into a party

CNN iReporter Adrian Michael Westbrook shot this video of May Day street protests in Paris, ahead of this week's contentious presidential election in the country. "The dominant theme appeared to be an all-encompassing disdain for the incumbent president (Nicolas Sarkozy) and a proprietary reclamation of the May Day festival itself," he said.

Children are not merely small adults

Medical ethicist Harriet A. Washington, a former research fellow at Harvard Medical School and the author of two books, agrees with research by Dr. Florence Bourgeois that says the medical field has failed to assess the effects of medications on children. Here's one sentence from an essay Washington wrote for CNN.com:

A child is not a Mini-Me, but according to Bourgeois' report, we tend to act as if kids are, because drug trials conducted in children are too few, of poor quality and too often focus on medications that are important for disorders of adults, not children.

That's a price worth shouting about

After hearing about the record-setting $120 million sale of a pastel version of Edvard Munch's "The Scream" on Wednesday at Sotheby's in New York, many of our readers wanted to let out a few screams of their own. Reader falconco said:

A colleague of mine, an art major, stopped at my desk to admire a watercolor I had displayed.  "Oh, that's wonderful!  Who's the artist?"  "My 4-year-old granddaughter." True story.

'Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.'

Do NOT stand between a man and his delicious Italian pastry. CNN affiliate WBBH reports a Florida man is accused of injuring his girlfriend after accusing her of finishing off their cannolis. The girlfriend told deputies he was so angry he flipped over a coffee table and threw his dinner in the trash. He then allegedly threw the food at her, hitting her in the shoulder and the face. It only got worse from there.

On the horizon: Superheroes storm theaters!

The highly anticipated 3-D blockbuster "The Avengers" opens Friday in U.S. theaters. The film, which has done monster box office in Europe, stars Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow, Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, and a host of other heavy hitters.  And that's just the kickoff for what promises to be a summer full of silver screen superheroes.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Daily Mash-up
  1. Mary

And I COULD NOT care less of what you all think either

May 4, 2012 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  2. raven

Atta girl! Ya got it. * ( a "gold" star for effort)

May 4, 2012 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

not me @ l:l3 hmmm why is it every time someone pizzes you off mary, I get that nasty troll crap???

May 4, 2012 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mary

That's right focus in on the gnat! focus on gas prices and how you think Mary should phrase something, rather than a STARVING CHILD! No more reply or aknowleding any of you EVER!

May 4, 2012 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ummmm

Your thoughts are no longer yours. Even the gnat saying isn't yours, mary. You get what you give.

May 4, 2012 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ummmm

LMAO! This IS my username, today. Look who's talking about hiding behind names. And it's PITY, not petty.

May 4, 2012 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  7. Ummmm

The sentence should be "You are too much of a coward, blah blah blah". You sound like a little kid playing grown-up. Aren't you late for school? Get going now, you're going to miss the bus, LMAO! Bye-bye now.

May 4, 2012 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  8. kellyintulsa

Ok I gotta put my 2 cents in on this crap. @Mary why don't you grow up and realize that before we can help starving kids in other countries we have to help the starving kids in our own first. If you can't say anything nice then why say anything to anyone at all. It's called having manners and acting like an adult and not a spoiled little 9 yr old and yes trust me I have a 9 yr old in my home and your really close to the behavior he has. I'm more worried about the good ole USA than I am any other country in the world. Yeah they are all messed up but so are we and you have to fix home before you can fix anything else. This is a lesson I learned a long time ago and I'm guessing your younger than I am so you just haven't learned it yet. Oh and just so you know this is my real name and I don't hide and I don't take crap...I'm not leeintulsa and I don't play nice like he does so back up off my friends !!!!

May 4, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

Rolling my eyes....
    You opened that door.

Hey, kellyintulsa.
    Afraid you're preaching to the choir.

May 4, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • kellyintulsa

not sure what I said as it's gone bye bye lol

May 5, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Pete

Ya let's calm down,take a breath and let bygones be bygones.I myself changed to my regular name after a nasty hijacking,never again...So to all of you that hide behind some one else,karma is the saying,what goes around comes around and keep your friends in these blogs close to you,but keep these dilusional enemies even closer,ADIOS MY FRIENDS....TAKE CARE,I AM....

May 4, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Calling BS

Calling BS on this one. It's you.

May 4, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mary

First off, 10:49 is me, all others are a highjacker
    Secondly @ kellyintulsa, I'm surprised the ladies didn't fill you in on the fact that everyone gets their name highjacked.
    I work 15 hr days on Thursday and Fridays and am wayyyyy too tired to be playing games on the boards.
    I also would like to extend my condolences to you and at this moment it escapes me which story I did it on but I did copy/paste part of a poem for Lee on his passing.
    I'll find it tomorrow for you, it's pretty good one too.
    My heartfelt condolences to Lee's Mother and Father :)
    Gn, everyone
    PS ... have fun Jackers
    One more thing... I hate your phone too banasy, the asterisks don't come out as nice as they did on your old one.

May 4, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • kellyintulsa

Thank you Mary. Lee's father is the only one of his parents still alive. His mom passed away when he was 18-20 yrs old. He hardly had anything to do with his dad after she passed. I look forward to reading the poem. My sister sent me a beautiful pewter guardian angel wind chime with the Whispers from Heaven poem. It's been tough since he passed but I'm sure of one thing Lee is looking down and smiling on me everyday and he's proud of what I'm doing.

May 5, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

Ok, finally got to see the pictures.
    1) The photo of the child is extemely upsetting to me.
    2) Did those folk seriously think that they were fooling the pandas? How funny....
    3) Guess it was a gas promo or something, as they are back to normal today.

May 5, 2012 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

Good morning banasy! You may be upset by this but i got .80 off a gal yesterday, and paid 2.93 a gal! You woulda thought it was christmas and it sure was for me! God bless krogers!

May 5, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  15. Mary

For Leeintulsa

A Child Loaned
    "I'll lend you for a little time
    A child of Mine." He said.
    "For you to love the while he lives
    And mourn for when he's dead.
    It may be six or seven year
    Or twenty-two or three
    But will you, till I call him back
    Take care of him for Me?
    He'll bring his charms to gladden you
    And should his stay be brief,
    You'll have his lovely memories
    As solace for your grief.

May 6, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • kellyintulsa

That's beautiful Mary ! It's been a rough weekend I just went and picked up my deceased ex husband's stuff that had been in storage. The 2 men who meant the most to me are gone and all I have is the memories of them. Just need a break !!!

May 6, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Hang in there kellyintulsa, and do what you can to make it easier on yourself. Think about you for awhile, otherwise, you'll be no good to anyone else. (HUG)

May 6, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |