Google Doodle honors artist Keith Haring
May 4th, 2012

Google Doodle honors artist Keith Haring

Today's Google welcome page honors the birthday of artist Keith Haring, whose distinctive cartoons became part of the cultural landscape of the 1980s.

"His populist philosophy is easily traceable in his paintings: he used simple, energetic line drawings to transmit important social messages as they emerged in the 1980s," according to Gale Biography in Context.

"Warning of the dangers of crack cocaine and other drugs, espousing safe sex and anti-apartheid logos, Haring traveled to many countries around the world, sometimes joining school children to encourage self-expression."

Haring, who learned that he had AIDS in 1988, established the Keith Haring Foundation in 1989, which supports non-profit organizations that help children as well as groups involved in education, research and care related to AIDS.

He died of AIDS at age 31 on February 16, 1990.

Filed under: Art • Google • Technology • U.S. • Uncategorized
  1. Ed

Ahh Keith Haring.. Such a great artist that reallly knew how to capture fun and innocence on a canvas!

RIP My friend!

May 4, 2012 at 7:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. bob

His art is so universal now it's hard to imagine that there was a time when this didn't exist (i.e. before him).

May 4, 2012 at 8:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Mitzi

How cool of Google to do this! His type of art inspired my son to pursue a carrer in art. I've no doubt of his influence of mant artists on the landscape today. (Get it? Landscape? Ha ha). In any case, a good man who died way before his time!

May 4, 2012 at 8:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Nancy M. B.

Years ago, I remember seeing his artwork in the NYC subway stations. Only later did he become famous - and rightly so.

May 4, 2012 at 8:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. RUFFNUTT ( beer drinking , turkey hunting , trailer trash from belton missouri )

first i want a shrubery... wwith a little path thru the middle...
    after that you must chop down the mightiest tree in the forest with a Haring

May 4, 2012 at 8:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

"We are the Knights who say Ni!"
      Monty Python reference! Yay!
      Thanks, Ruffie!

May 4, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

It was a lesson on why you should never negotiate with terrorists. They'll just keep demanding more shrubberies and saying NYI to you. It's in the AQ handbook.

May 4, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Zingorama

I remember his marker graffiti on the lockers at our school—SVA, crawling babies and barking dogs. I think they covered every locker.

May 4, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. banasy©

His images of the social climate then still resonate today.
    He died way too soon; I wonder what his art would portray now?

May 4, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. saywhat

@ banasy
    Well said. His messages thru his art are relevant today.
    The darkness in us, I would venture to say to your question.
    Good morning.

May 4, 2012 at 9:50 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. banasy©

@saywhat:
    Good morning.
    He would have plenty to work with; darkness is everywhere.

May 4, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. bobcat (in a hat) ©

A construction worker came home just in time to find his wife in bed with another man. So he dragged the man down the stairs to the garage and put his Wet Willy in a vise. He secured it tightly and removed the handle. Then he picked up a hacksaw. The man, terrified, screamed, “Stop! Stop! You’re not going to…to…cut it off, are you?” The husband said, with a gleam of revenge in his eye, “Nope. You are. I’m going to set the garage on fire.”

May 4, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

"Wet Willy?" banasy© asked, arching an eyebrow.

May 4, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  11. saywhat

Thats what is called a dilemma. Rather scary @ bobcat I say.

May 4, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. bobcat (in a hat) ©

My aplogies for that one.

May 4, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. bobcat (in a hat) ©

Here's a groaner to make up for that last one.

Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson went on a camping trip. After a good meal and a bottle of wine they laid down for the night, and went to sleep. Some hours later, Holmes awoke and nudged his faithful friend.
    "Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see."
    Watson replied, "I see millions and millions of stars."
    "What does that tell you?"
    Watson pondered for a minute.
    "Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo. Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three. Theologically, I can see that God is all-powerful and that we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What does it tell you?"
    Holmes was silent for a minute, then spoke. "It tells me that someone has stolen our tent."

May 4, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • I don't get it

But why is Watson's doodle in a vise, and who has the hacksaw, and is the tent still on fire, or did the theif put it out?

May 4, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • I don't get it

But why is Watson's thingy in a vise, and who has the hacksaw, and is the tent still on fire, or did the theif put it out?

May 4, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BOMBO ©

I can draw better than that.

May 4, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

Maybe you can, Bombo.
      I don't suggest you try in the subway tunnels, though.

May 4, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |