Gotta Watch: Professionals of the Kentucky Derby
Horses run down the front stretch during the 137th Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs on May 7, 2011 in Louisville, Kentucky.
May 5th, 2012

Gotta Watch: Professionals of the Kentucky Derby

Today is the day for the 138th annual Run for the Roses.  The race is more than mint juleps, elaborate hats and the most exciting two minutes in sports. The Kentucky Derby boasts legends and stars, human and equine alike.  You've Gotta Watch a few of the professionals involved in one of the most watched horse races of the year. We've collected videos profiling a top trainer, a jockey making a post-recovery comeback and the stud farm that welcomes the champions after they've won the race.

Barbaro's trainer returns to Kentucky

Venezuelan-born jockey talks Derby

Breeding Kentucky Derby studs

A very indulgent guide to Louisville
Photos: The best Derby hats
Why the 'Run for the Roses' is so special

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • horses • Kentucky • Sports • U.S.
  1. chrissy

Can anyone guess what I just did?

May 5, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ bobcat (iah) ©:
    I love your priest/horse joke.

May 5, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ Jif

Thank you my friend. I just ran up on it and had to post.
      How are you doing these days ?

May 5, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dazzle ©

@bobcat(iah) I like this one if it was in fact one of yours and not the work of a troll.

May 5, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

If one wasn't sure of what schitzophrenia was before, this thread could certainly give one an idea.

May 5, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

Who ? What ?, Where ?, When ?, How ?, Why? Aaaaahhhhhh. They're everywhere. They're everywhere. What, you talikin to me ? Well, you must be talkin to me, 'cause I don't see nobody else around.

May 5, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

Who ? What ?, Where ?, When ?, How ?, Why? Aaaaahhhhhh. They're everywhere. They're everywhere. What, you talkin to me ? Well, you must be talkin to me, 'cause I don't see nobody else around.

May 5, 2012 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@banasy, this thread is a complete mess and I see some of the posts that are deleted have returned but no @bobcat (iah) joke. One can hardly follow it. We can blame it on the Super Moon but it is obviously more than that.

May 5, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

Who ? What ? What's that ? You talkin to me ? You talkin to me ? Well I don't see nobody else around, so you must be talkin to me. What ? Who ssid that ?

May 5, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

If one wasn't sure of what schizophrenia was before, this thread could certainly give one an idea.

May 5, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

This is certainly a schizo thread!

May 5, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ♚Mmmmm♛

lol...

May 5, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ♚Mmmmm♛

to dah one whose birthday's wish is that heaven sends their true spouse one red rose without thorns accompanied by white baby's breath flowers and evergreens...as a sign of their true love and ever fidelity...happy birthday!

....i got my flower...

May 5, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. james

cnn just said the track was muddy and conditons slow, but five minutes before that nbc said the track was dry and conditons fast....cnn idiots.

May 5, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ dazzle ©
    Yes this one is mine. The troll got me earlier, but I haven't seen it since.
    So how are you on this terribly hot not yet summer day ?

May 5, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@bobcat(iah), you did have a clever troll and I bought into it. Hope you are well, it is indeed terribly hot, for early May.

May 5, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ dazzle ©

I am doin well. I hope you are the same. Temp right now is 89 degrees w/95% humidity. To early for this mess. But then we didn't have a winter this year either. We had spring for winter, summer for spring. Shoot, the way it's going we'll probably have snow in august. The weather is all messed up.

I can't believe they deleted my joke.

May 5, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

Wonderful joke.
    Perfect for this thread.

May 5, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

I'm glad I fot to see the joke before our exteremly biased yet troll permissive deleter erased it, all the while letting the chrissytroll spread its particular brand of hate around.

May 5, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

Wow, I can't believe they deleted that joke. Jealousy is such an ugly creature.

May 5, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@banasy, I'm glad we got to see the joke before the censors took over. This is emblematic of the failure of the system to delete the venom and keep the good.

May 5, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@dazzle:
      It is emblematic of •something•; it doesn't say much for this site.

May 5, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ bobcat (iah):
    Hello. I'm doing better now, getting too busy again, and trying to balance work with resting enough to continue recovery. It's tricky.
    Well–you asked. That's the truth.
    @ ALL, ON TOPIC:
    I really enjoy important horse races.
    This industry gives jobs to a lot of workers, as light as the entertainment of the rich owners may seem.
    I have friends involved in all aspects of horse sports, and it's another world.
    One of my closest friends was a champion rider who did a lot of his own horses' care himself. His not-poor but hard-working father told him, "don't ever invest in anything that eats."
    This is not a world for poor people, but it makes jobs.

May 5, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@JIF

I totally understand that. You just be sure you get enough rest in order to speed your recovery

P. S. I'm always concerned for the health of my friends.

May 5, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

@JIF:
    Stay well, my friend; I do not want to hear of a relapse.
    Keep making your beautiful music, and keep posting your interesting posts.
    I would be bereft if you were to not be here anymore.

May 5, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

Funny: I just spoke to our friends who live with horses in NC.
    It was Derby time.
    You remember the deleted post about going outside and living? Playing the way children do?
    These very, very grown adults are kids again when horses run.

May 5, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Boycott in Favor of KY Victim

Kentucky law enforcement committed a hate crime against a law student from New England.
    It should have been forced to relinquish the Derby.
    The permissiveness is shocking.
    The crimes were heinous and specific intent.
    You never heard about it because the press concealed it.

May 5, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. TvNyC

I won ten grand yay. Yeah right, I dont gamble.

May 5, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

Delete this whole thread; it seems you so not want even the traffic of the regulars here.
    What a joke this has all become; I am NOT talking about bobcat's jokes either.
    Some little employee needs a bit better training.

May 5, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |