May 5th, 2012

Rebels burn Timbuktu tomb listed as U.N. World Heritage site

Elderly men were keeping watch Saturday over Timbuktu's main library after Islamists burned down a tomb listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site.

The attacks Friday were blamed on Ansar Dine, a militant group that seeks to impose strict Sharia law.

The ancient city in Mali was captured by at least two separatist Tuareg rebel groups in an anti-government uprising in the northern part of the country that began in January.

The rebels burned the tomb of a Sufi saint where people come to pray, said Sankoum Sissoko, a tour guide familiar with the place. He said the library and other heritage sites remained under threat.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Africa
  1. SarcozyAmericaUNVEILED

PARIS - Thrice married, Nicolas Sarkozy knows about love that flames up and later fades away. Now, he faces the battle of his career to avoid a humiliating political divorce from the French people – who were once infatuated with him.

May 6, 2012 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
  2. BAnasy

it must be a prosac moment to know banasy just how many buildings and or people the u.s. has blown up for "value added" belief. the next time the developers do this- maybe you will stand in front of the bulldozers with Sarcozy.

May 6, 2012 at 5:14 am | Report abuse |
    • BAnasy

Maybe you should be IN the bulding when I do.

May 6, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  3. towncryer

Go to sleep Philip and give it a rest.

May 6, 2012 at 5:21 am | Report abuse |
  4. towncryer

Not me at 4:26 am.

May 6, 2012 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat) ©

A carpet layer had just finished installing carpet for a lady. He stepped out for a smoke, only to realize he'd lost his cigarettes.

In the middle of the room, under the carpet, was a bump.

"No sense pulling up the entire floor for one pack of smokes," he said to himself. He proceeded to get out his hammer and flattened the hump.

As he was cleaning up, the lady came in. "Here," she said, handling him his pack of cigarettes. "I found them in the hallway."

"Now," she said, "if only I could find my parakeet."

May 6, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

A friend of ours, who owns a carpet store, came to our house when we had some carpeting installed to oversee the work being done.
      This was his first question: "do you have a pet bird of any kind?", and then told us this joke.
      It made me laugh then as it does now.
      I watched the installation •very• carefully, anyway! ;)

May 6, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ banasy©

Now that was funny.

May 6, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mary

@ bobcat (in a hat) ©, You are constantly around when I need a good laugh. Thanks, hope your Sunday goes well sir!

May 6, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

Good Morning to you Mary. I'm glad I'm able to spread some sunshine for you.

I can't believe they deleted all my jokes yesterday. I wonder how long thses will stay up here ?

May 6, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

lol...the blessing of the hooves was the first offense...second offense you showed the unfailing power of the a catholic priest's blessings and prayers...third offense....horse is a sign of pride and rebellion which cooperates with every blessing, but was none to happy to see prevailing, eternal humility sending it off with blessings to rot in hell...lol...that was your last straw...

May 6, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

@bob i hope you can fine some constellation solace with this answer...lol

May 6, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat (in a hat) ©

The aspiring psychiatrists were attending their first class on emotional extremes. "Just to establish some parameters," said the professor to the student from Arkansas, "What is the opposite of joy?"

"Sadness," said the student.

And the opposite of depression?" he asked of the young lady from Oklahoma.

"Elation," said she.

"And you sir," he said to the young man from Texas, "how about the opposite of woe?"

The Texan replied, "Sir, I believe that would be giddy-up."

May 6, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@Rawr:
      Cute.
      I hope these stay up longer than those on the Biden thread.
      Perhaps they took Umbrage© at those jokes being in the same vicinity as our esteemed Veep (snicker).

May 6, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ♚Mmmmm♛

who cares what happens in timbuktu???

May 6, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Timbuktuans?

May 6, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

lol....how you kno' what they call themselves....?

May 6, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Just a guess...they may call themselves Chicagoans for all I know...lol.

May 6, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mary

@ bobcat (in a hat) ©, Sorry I didn't have a chance to see what you posted yesterday bu I did C/P the Carpet layer joke.
    What are you up to today?
    Btw, my brother in-law is a 6'8 texan and will appreciate the psychiatrists joke.

May 6, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ Mary

Oh crap. Just don't tell him where I live. LOL

May 6, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Rawr, while you're here, how's your daughter?

May 6, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@banasy©

All in all, she's progressing really well right now. She went to her oncologist on Wednesday and due to the aggressive nature of her cancer, was told she'll have to go through another eight treatments of chemo , plus another cancer drug , I can't think of the name of it, for a year. And of course radiation treatments. So she still has a long road to travel.

Than you so much for asking.

May 6, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

My thoughts and well wishes are with her and your entire family, dear man.

May 6, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mary

:) Don't worry your secret is safe with me ole buddy!
    Btw, not sure of your beliefs, but don't you think it would be of more value to protect ones worship of God than a statue or tomb? Just curious of you thoughts on the matter. Be free to speak your mind please

May 6, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ Mary

The worship of a god or gods, depends totally on ones perspective. Different peoples have different ways of worshipping. It is not for us to decide for others which religion is the right one. From my own experiences with organized religion I've found that each individual sect claims they are the only way. Catholics, protestants, baptists, jehovahs witnesses and on and on, all have their own doctrines. That gets pretty confusing. So as I said in the beggining, it would have to depend on ones perspective as to what they want to believe.

Did I do enough rambling for you ? LOL

May 6, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. saywhat

I wonder what kind of 'Islamists' would burn the tomb of a Sufi saint, a shrine where muslims go to pray?
    We read of attacks on mosques, holy shrines and killing of muslims while praying by 'Islamists' ? One wonders.

May 6, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

not attack by muslins attacked by POSSESSED muslims...it's called spiritual warfare...

May 6, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. saywhat

In muslim dominated countries Sufi saints are highly revered and their shrines, just like saints in Christianity are considered sacred.

May 6, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mary

@ saywhat, There is contention about this issue among Muslims, but many maintain that prayer at the tombs of saints and revered figures is idolatrous in itself, and therefore must be suppressed - by violence if necessary.

May 6, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • saywhat

No @ Mary if that was the case these shrines wouldn't have survived for centuries. The Wahabi sect considers praying to Sufi saints for deliverance or needs as outside of edicts of Islam. But in no sect desecration or harming the shrines is preached.
      This is a phenomenon we are witnessing after the declaration of war on terrorism. Who are these people is an open question.

May 6, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bobcat (in a hat) ©

I'm really not in the mood for you today troll. Bug off. Mary knows that's not me.

May 6, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |