May 7th, 2012

Indiana mom sends son to school with stun gun to confront bullies

An Indiana mother who sent her gay son to school with a stun gun after administrators apparently didn't do enough to stop the bullying against him said she would do it again - even though the teen now faces expulsion.

"I do not promote violence - not at all - but what is a parent to do when she has done everything that she felt she was supposed to do ... at the school?" the mother, Chelisa Grimes, told CNN's Don Lemon on Sunday. "I did feel like there was nothing else left for me to do, but protect my child."

The school district held an expulsion hearing last week but no decision has been announced.

Grimes sent her son, Darnell "Dynasty" Young, to Arsenal Technical High School in Indianapolis with the stun gun after he said he was taunted and bullied for months.

FULL STORY

Filed under: U.S.
  1. ron

Wow, theres so much wrong in this story where do you start?

May 7, 2012 at 5:48 am | Report abuse |
  2. hamsta

The problem is that the woman allows a man in her sons life for all the wrong reasons.the boy needs a daddy to show him how to be a man not a boyfriend to show him how to be a housewife.

May 7, 2012 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. saywhat

I can just hope that this 'bright' idea doesn't fly with parents here. This menace of bullying has caused a lot of pain & grief on our soil too.

May 7, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  4. ♚Mmmmm♛

this mom is a looney tune stun guns are totally inhumane they send it's victims into cardiac arrest...shuddah talk to the administrators and schoolboard rep...if that didn't work get an atty to file papers...the police even shouldn't use them...and if the police do they should be compelled to save the victim with cpr...which they don't...and that's ashame...

May 7, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Portland tony

A parent shouldn't have to hire a lawyer to make sure their kids are safe in school. And just what do you think a lawyer could do that school administrators couldn't? Some times you play by the book....and that book will swat you like a bug!

May 7, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • mickey1313

I agree with tony, this was a last resort not first. If the school can not provide safety to students then the parents have the right to keep there kids safe. Bullies need to know that when you bully you may legally get tazed. People who believes the sticks and stones bs are full of s-h-i-t

May 7, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmmâ™›

tony we are not at odds...the school is responsible for every child safety...if they forego their responsibility theycan incur a liability. if her child is a victim the mother compounded the problem her child is expelled and the perps ate still in school...the mother is without remorse for her action but yet demands remorse from others. maybe she could have apologized for her error but she went public with her threat...really the mother is at risk to harming someone else's child cause she is trigger happy...lastly she is teaching her child to handle conflict inappropiately....the more I think about she should go to jail for intentionally arming her child with a stungun wespon...district atty input, please....

May 7, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Portland tony

Somebody is beating up on my kids at schoool with no adult intervention, I may pay these educators a "visitation" and I won't be packing a stun gun! Somebody's out of control and it needs fixing. Beating up on one kid doesn't solve the problem.

May 7, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. Greek American

The school administrators neeed to get off their a*ses and start taking all this bullying more seriously.

May 7, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmmâ™›

i agree...if the kids are at lunch...the teachers should be supervising...if the kids are on grounds for lunch, recess, after school there should be supervision...upon first school bus arrival there should be supervision waiting...supervision on board until the last child leaves...

May 7, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. kellyintulsa

As someone who grew up in Indiana I can say that the school I went to did nothing to discourage kids from bullying or beating up on others. They were more interested in busting kids for smoking and things like that. I'm a mom and I know that for the most part all the school does is talk to the child causing the problem. If you go back to them again they do the same as before. The 3rd time they will actually send a note home to the offenders parents after a talk with the parents if it happens again it's 3 days suspended. Our schools need to realize that they are in charge of our kids because we trust them to protect them while we are at work. This is not showing anyone that their child is safe at school and that is just wrong. Not saying what this woman did was right sending him to school with a stun gun but it sure is better than having to go to the er to find out badly your child was beaten or even worse yet that they have committed suicide because of it.

May 7, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • mickey1313

I would tell any child being bullied to use any means necessary to make the bullies stop. If that means beating the tar out of them, god bullies need to be beaten.

May 7, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

In his photo, seventeen-year-old Damell Young appears pretty sturdy. If I were he, I'd get into a Serious weight gym about six times a week, eat 175 grams of protein a day, muscle up, and take some boxing and martial-arts lessons. When he's curling about 135, he'll be able to throw his stun gun away, and he'll also find his gay social life considerably enhanced.
    I think that schools should have uniforms or strict dress codes for students that age. Our daughter was beautiful–nay, hot–in her boring green dresses.
    I also doubt that two-thirds of gay and lesbian students in Europe feel intimidated at school: shame on us.

May 7, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  9. hamsta

@leeintulsa good morning,hope you are doin fine! you are correct that schools used to encourage bullying-for a reason. the boy needs a man in his life but not a boyfriend to teach him how to be a housewife.

May 7, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. hamsta

@ unamerican greek you can be greek or you can be american but you cant be both.the is no such thing as part american.

May 7, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  11. kellyintulsa

@hamsta I'm not leeintulsa...I'm Kelly. I understand your use to seeing his name but he's gone now and I'm here. It doesn't require a man to teach a boy how to be a man. I have raised a boy and I'm sorry to tell you he is very much a man and I had no men in and out of my home to influence him. He spent a weekend or two a month with my dad in the evenings but at the time he was already almost 70 yrs old. It requires being a good parent and doing what needs to be done the right way and showing your child that.

May 7, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  12. hamsta

@kellyintulsa i cant believe i made that mistake. please forgive me i was trying to give you my best wishes without mentioning it. i wasnt trying to be insensitive. im truly sorry for your loss and i pray that god gives you the strength to heal.

May 7, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • kellyintulsa

@hamsta It's fine hun I was just bringing it to your attention lol. I would be a sad little person if I took offense at being called by Lee's name. He was and always will be the center of my universe. I was blessed to have shared the years with him that I did with that being said there is nothing to forgive ;). Thank you for your thoughts and just know that with the help of God, family and friends I will make it past this and have a good life because that's what Lee would want me to do.

May 7, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

Some schools give little creedence to bullying.
    This school was apparently one of them.
    I do not condone what this mother did, but I understand her reasoning behind it.

I am fortunate that our H.S. takes it very seriously, and the students are either suspended/expelled.
    There is a zero tolerance on bullying, and they mean it!

May 7, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mickey1313

Stun gun, acording to police, is not a weapon, it is a tool. If the boy is being harassed, taze the crud out of the bigots.

May 7, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmmâ™›

the police is full of crap...if I take a jar of peanut butter and repeatedly bash your head and do harm...it is a weapon...although a tasty one...but here you have an instrument designed specifically to harm...stungun isn't a tool...unless you're jump starting a car...a crowbar can be a weapon too unless you're changing a tire...police calling a weapon a tool is legal jargon to erase its liability when they kill innocent people....

May 7, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. kim

Its sad the child could not go to school and learn without someone being a bully. People are so rude just rude ignorant lowlife. RUDE stop forcing people to go to extremes to get bullys to leave them alone.

May 7, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |