May 7th, 2012
02:18 AM ET

Paralyzed football player signed to Bucs hopes to change the world

Even though it's symbolic and "there's no money involved," Eric LeGrand told CNN over the weekend that he's thrilled to be on the roster of an NFL team.

The former Rutgers defensive tackle, who was partially paralyzed in 2010 when he injured his spinal cord during a game, was signed to the 90-man offseason roster of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last week.

"This was a dream come true for me. I always wanted to go to the NFL - that was my career goal in life," LeGrand told CNN's Don Lemon on Sunday. "Circumstances dictated it differently, but I can at least say I'm there now. I'm on a team. I'm on a roster."

The Bucs are coached by ex-Rutgers coach Greg Schian, who helped shepherd LeGrand through the dark days following his injury.

"He's been there since day one making sure I had the best doctors, best surgeon, best hospital, best everything," LeGrand said. "Everything around me was just so positive and there was no negativity around me. That's what kept me going in the beginning - that first month - when I really didn't know what was going on, what was happening in my life."

LeGrand, who collided with an Army kick returner while making a tackle on October 16, 2010, was initially paralyzed from the neck down. At the hospital, medical personnel told him he'd be a quadriplegic and would need a respirator for the rest of his life.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Sports • U.S.
soundoff (One Response)
  1. banasy©

    All the best to him.

    May 7, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse | Reply

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.