Australia looking for a few good U.S. troops
Australian Navy and Army troops perform during an a 2011 airshow in Geelong, Australia.
May 8th, 2012

Australia looking for a few good U.S. troops

Prospective U.S. military recruits have long been told "Uncle Sam wants you!"

Well, Stars and Stripes reports Tuesday that Australia wants you even more and is willing to pay for it.

"The Royal Australian Navy (RAN) welcomes enquiries from both officers and sailors who are interested in a new career and new life in Australia," the Australian Navy's website says.

The U.S. ally down under is seeking everything from submariners to doctors at ranks from enlisted to officers in all branches of its services and salaries can be substantially higher, according to the Stars and Stripes report.

A staff sergeant in the U.S. Air Force with six years of service makes $31,946 while a corporal in the Royal Australian Air Force makes  $57,277 in U.S. dollars, Stripes reports. The difference is pay for an officer is less, but Australia still comes out on top, with a U.S. Air Force captain earning $63,263 and the Australian equivalent, a flight lieutentant, making $66,417 in U.S. dollars.

Stripes points out that Australia's economy, boosted by Chinese demand for its mineral exports, is in better shape than many other areas of the world.

Australia has signed on about 500 foreigners from the U.S., Canada, Britain and New Zealand in the past five years, according to the report.

Post by:
Filed under: Australia • Military
  1. Dingo

Remember the fine print here is Aussies are inviting white Americans only. All other Americans need not apply. Australia may come across as laid back, open etc. but it is not. There is a lot of even not so subtle racism there. Some immigrants to Australia think it is heaven and are used and accept racism as they havent seen anything better. That think wont fly in the US. I was in Australia and experienced it first hand. It was shocking. I love the US and ain't going anywhere soon.

May 8, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Hooah!

And they didn't mention the high costs of living in Australian cities like Sydney which is as high as New York.

May 8, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • geggyg

What you say about only white americans is wrong , that would be against the anti discrimination laws. Yes there is racism here to a degree , just like in the US and most countries . But overall we are a laid back , accepting country

May 8, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • bigot

And that is their country...they can do whatever they want. If they want to discriminate against blacks or hispanics, so be it. Doesn't make it right, but neither does policing the entire world.

May 8, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

I can see why you dingo. You must be a thin skinned sensitive soul.

May 9, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jim Hall

You failed to mention the 40% income tax mate.

May 8, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • geggyg

For this financial year ending in June the highest tax rate is 45% for over $100, 000 , but the first $6000 is tax free and most people pay a variable rate up to 37% which is comparible to the US as well there are rebates if you have children , lowering the effective tax rates even more. NOt sure what the tax thresholds will be for next year , as the new budget was only presented last night , but i at least $16000 will be tax free

May 8, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • geggyg

Sorry typo in my first sentence it should have been $180,000

May 8, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  3. johnharry

where were you 8 years ago before i retired. I could live in Adelaide.

May 8, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  4. OtherSF.

Anyway , Canada was the US's 51st state and Australia is the 52nd .

May 8, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  5. Bill

Better take a close look at the cost of living in Australia.

I was just there a few months ago, and the prices are unbelievably high. Melbourne and Sidney make New York look Walmart Cheap. You will need 3 to 4 times your USA salary to live the same way in Australia.

But, on the bright side, Australia is exactly what everyone says it is: beautiful. And, full of nice and friendly people.
    A great place to visit, but I'd make sure I had a lot lot lot of money when I went.

May 8, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jester1028

hell no! Thanks but no thanks. I will never jump ship and join another country's military. Disgusting! just because of a salary..it's all about honor, dignity, duty and being faithful...unless you are a soldier of fortune.

May 8, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  7. deathstalker187

Is it a true fact that only white people are accepted?? Lo thats funny..

May 8, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
    • geggyg

no its not true , Aust did have a white aust immigration policy from about 1900 until the late 1960's , but we are a multicutural society with immigration from most countries in the world

May 8, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Fern

G'day from a very dark brown naturalized Australian! I never experienced racism until I lived in Canada! Australia was warm and welcoming to this brown skinned girl.

May 10, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jrm03063

Seems like a good idea if something awful happens and the Mittster wins – a great way to avoid being part of the 99% that goes to Iran on behalf of Halliburton and the 1%!

May 8, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  9. afrofrenchtoast

This deal isnt as sweet as this article states! I contacted the RAN contact for recruiting US Sailors and she told me that they are only recruiting senior people. There are also no incentives to go from the us military to the RAN including no enlistment bonuses or pension packages. The pay is a little better in the RAN compared to the US Navy, however, the incenitives just are not there for me to leave a career in the US Navy to join to RAN!

May 8, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. Derrick

Hey Kenneth, were Aborigines and Tasmanians not allowed to have a land of their own? Stop making these myopic arguments.

May 8, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. Steve

Those US salaries are misleading when it doesn't include housing supplement which is tax free! That's like $2000 month in some areas! Also, there is additional pay for medical doctors in the US services.

May 8, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. Aussie

Seeing as I am an Aussie who has served in the Australian Defence Forces I thought I might be able to clear up a few of the queries I've read on here. I served in the Australian Army though, not the Navy. Australian soldiers do get a standard range of benefits while they serve, free or heavily subsidised housing, free full healthcare, extra allowances for service overseas, in a warzone etc, on top of their Salary. Any member of the Defence force or veteran also has access to the defence credit union which gives out loans at cheaper than average market interest rates. On top of this salaries have consistently risen over the last ten years.

In terms of citizenship. Back when I joined you either had to be an Australian citizen or be applying for citizenship to serve in the armed forces, off course the scheme discussed might be different but I doubt it.

Those foreign nationals I served with in the Australian Army were either dual citizen, naturalized Australians, or servicemen from other countries on 'exchange' tours.

I also know that dual citizenship is very common in Australia, and a number of my family members and friends have this, (none with the United States though, I confess I have no idea about the US rules in this regard).

In terms of background I can say that the Australian Defence Force has been facing a manpower crisis for quite some time, as have a number of other industries. In recent years this has been driven by the Mining boom in this country, resource demand in Asia coupled with Australia's huge reserves of coal, iron ore and many other minerals has meant that the mining industry has grown exponentially and is taking skilled labour from virtually every other industry, with salaries being very high by comparison. Two of my friends had six figure salaried jobs in mining within a year of leaving university, and even the most basic of mining job is paid well. This has left every other industry including the Defence Force having to compete with the mining sector, and almost all are now turning to overseas recruitment. My own industry now relies heavily on the 457 work visa to bring skilled workers from overseas.

At least there are still many people who join the Defence Force for reasons other than money.

Having travelled to a number of other countries, and worked all across Australia I can say that Australia is more expensive than some to live in, housing especially.

I can understand why the ADF would be targeting former US military personnel, due to the high level of training/skills they already would possess, and the fact that both military's have similar equipment.

May 8, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  13. OtherSF.

Who are Australia's enemies ? China , Indonesia or crocodiles ?

May 8, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  14. Tim Noro

Don't Americans still have to file on income earned overseas? This decreases the margin further...

May 8, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Kana

"Australia is seeking experienced applicants only and has a program in place to grant permanent residency to foreign passport holders."
      I guess if you became an Australian citizen you would be exempt from paying US taxes.

May 8, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dou44

Austrailia will regret the American wife beating thugs and child killers.

May 8, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |