Australia looking for a few good U.S. troops
Australian Navy and Army troops perform during an a 2011 airshow in Geelong, Australia.
May 8th, 2012

Australia looking for a few good U.S. troops

Prospective U.S. military recruits have long been told "Uncle Sam wants you!"

Well, Stars and Stripes reports Tuesday that Australia wants you even more and is willing to pay for it.

"The Royal Australian Navy (RAN) welcomes enquiries from both officers and sailors who are interested in a new career and new life in Australia," the Australian Navy's website says.

The U.S. ally down under is seeking everything from submariners to doctors at ranks from enlisted to officers in all branches of its services and salaries can be substantially higher, according to the Stars and Stripes report.

A staff sergeant in the U.S. Air Force with six years of service makes $31,946 while a corporal in the Royal Australian Air Force makes  $57,277 in U.S. dollars, Stripes reports. The difference is pay for an officer is less, but Australia still comes out on top, with a U.S. Air Force captain earning $63,263 and the Australian equivalent, a flight lieutentant, making $66,417 in U.S. dollars.

Stripes points out that Australia's economy, boosted by Chinese demand for its mineral exports, is in better shape than many other areas of the world.

Australia is seeking experienced applicants only and has a program in place to grant permanent residency to foreign passport holders.

Australia has signed on about 500 foreigners from the U.S., Canada, Britain and New Zealand in the past five years, according to the report.

Post by:
Filed under: Australia • Military
  1. Paulo

And you get to eat roast koala!

May 8, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andy in Oz

Nah we just throw the Yanks, Poms and Kiwi's that overstay their VISA's on the BBQ.....slow roast is best apparently.

May 9, 2012 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lance

You lose your U.S. citizenship by serving as an officer in another country's armed forces.

"serving as a commissioned or non-commissioned officer in the armed forces of a foreign state"

May 8, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

You also have to intend to relinquish your citizenship.
      Section 349 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1481), as amended, states that U.S. citizens are subject to loss of citizenship if they perform certain specified acts voluntarily and with the intention to relinquish U.S. citizenship.

May 8, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pottapaug

You only lose your citizenship if your service is done with the INTENT to relinquish your US citizenship. Read the full text of the law, and you'll see what I mean.

May 8, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trevor

That's fine by me. Here I come.

May 8, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • dewed

Aw, shucks, Pottapaug, you expect people to read? How often does that disappoint you? :)

May 8, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yank

Lance Australia is not an enemy of America. It only pertains to nations at war with America

May 8, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • ycantifindone

Maybe if you read further you would realize that you are wrong

May 9, 2012 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
    • choco monsters

Who cares, it's not like you're banned from the country.

May 9, 2012 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. Shawn

They probably don't advertise the insane amount of spiders that you will find all over your house and vehicle while living in Australia in the brochure.

May 8, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • JB!

For real? forget that...

May 8, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mitchell

Spiders?

NUKE THEM FROM ORBIT. It's the only way to be sure.

May 8, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cheese Wonton

Not true. I lived in Oz for a while and spiders in the house were not a problem any more than it is in the US.

May 8, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • blessedgeek

Spiders are anti-septic, do not transmit diseases and eat house pests.

May 9, 2012 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  4. Squid

If you have a security clearance (secret/TS/SCI) and you intend to serve in someone else military, your US clearance may be be revoked. Additionally any future, employment that is affiliated with the US Government, whether it be direct, i.e. NSA, CIA, FBI, etc. or indirect, i.e. GE, Lockheed Martin, etc., that requires a security clearance will meet some road blocks. Speaking from experience, I had a job interview with one of the Intelligence Agencies this January; did the polygraph test and the psycologial evaluation. I passed them, but fail to get the job because I was denied a clearance due to the fact that I emailed the point of contact of the the Royal New Zealand Navy HR department inquiring about their navy jobs for officers and had surfed the Mossad internet homepage. The mere act of emailing or having any potential contact with a foreign military is frown upon. The consequences of me asking is that from now on, I have to self disclose every time I do a polygraph test or I apply to any job that requires a clearance here in the US. I still have my security clearance, but the potential fallout of having to self disclose my inquiry is denial of a future clearance. Had I known the potential consequence of just emailing or surfing the net, I wouldn't have done it. So my personal advice is to think it over very carefully.

May 8, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cheese Wonton

There is a time limit on that question, seven or ten years I believe. I lived in Oz and applied for work with the Queensland Govt, Trade Office but was past the time limit so I don't have to report it.

May 8, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. gman999

Isn't that the definition of a mercenary?

May 8, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. maloof

Australia seriously need to protection for it Indian ocean side from migrants.

May 8, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sir ISaac Newton

IF it's true that you lose your citizenship if you serve in another country's military what about all the American Jews who go over and serve with the IDF in Israel? They seem to be able to come back. So I don't know if that law is strictly enforced.

May 8, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miguel White

It is not correct – they mis-read the statute. It says if you serve with the intent of giving up your US citizenship. So you do not lose your citizenship.... and this is in keeping with your observation of US jews going to Israel to serve in the IDF. I beleive Raum Emmanuel served briefly in the IDF and remains a US citizen for example....

May 8, 2012 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. LTNN7890

You have to volunteer to give up your U.S. citizenship and it takes 3 years , when you go to collect S.S.A. You can only get 1/2 of your benifits . Its not that easy to loose your U.S. citizenship .

May 8, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Yank

Hey Lance only if that nation is an enemy of America that wants to harm America.

May 8, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. cpc65

They couldn't pay me enough to wear one of those uniforms.

May 8, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Earnán M

Let me guess... They didn't pay you "enough" to wear a US one either?

May 9, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. minerals are trouble

minerals are trouble. so are banks.

May 8, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mike

Hmmm...beautiful country with hot women, beach front property, they all speak english I can think of worse fates. besides considering how crappy America treats her vets this seems like a nice alternative.

May 8, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. mysterdude

Peoplw came to the US in search of better opportunities. Why not go to Australia for more money.

May 9, 2012 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  14. T,Nguyen

I'm sorry, but I rather wear the army beret... And, the secret clearance issues does not worth the extra $$.

May 9, 2012 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  15. Duramax

My wife and I have both been offered jobs in Australia as aircraft mechanics. We seriously entertained the idea until we looked at the cost of housing. It is very expensive. We have many Australian friends and would love to go but it's a little out of the price range even for two aircraft mechanics. Everything we researched about Australia is very positive except the cost of housing.

May 9, 2012 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |