Full text of Rick Santorum e-mail endorsing Romney
May 8th, 2012

Full text of Rick Santorum e-mail endorsing Romney

Rick Santorum told supporters in an e-mail Monday he was endorsing his one-time rival for the GOP presidential nomination Mitt Romney.

Below is the full text of the e-mail Santorum sent out:

Friends,

Thank you again for all you did as one of my strongest and committed supporters. Your belief in our campaign helped us start a movement of Americans who believe deeply that our best days are ahead as long as we fight to strengthen our families, unshackle our economy and promote freedom here and around the world. Karen and I will be forever grateful for the support, kindness and commitment you showed us, as well as our children, over these last months.

On Friday, Governor Romney came to Pittsburgh for an over-hour long one-on-one meeting. The conversation was candid, collegial and focused on the issues that you helped me give voice to during our campaign; because I believe they are essential ingredients to not only winning this fall, but turning our country around.

While the issue of my endorsement did not come up, I certainly have heard from many of you who have weighed in on whether or not I should issue a formal endorsement. Thank you for your counsel, it has been most helpful. However, I felt that it was completely impossible for me to even consider an endorsement until after a meeting to discuss issues critical to those of us who often feel our voices are not heard by the establishment: social conservatives, tea-party supporters, lower and middle income working families.

Clearly without the overwhelming support from you all, I never would have won 11 states and over 3 million votes, and we would not have won more counties than all the other candidates combined. I can assure you that even though I am no longer a candidate for president, I will still continue to fight every day for our shared values – the values that made America the greatest country in the history of the world.

During our meeting I felt a deep responsibility to assess Governor Romney's commitment to addressing the issues most important to conservatives, as well his commitment to ensuring our appropriate representation in a Romney administration.

The family and its foundational role in America's economic success, a central point of our campaign, was discussed at length. I was impressed with the Governor's deep understanding of this connection and his commitment to economic policies that preserve and strengthen families. He clearly understands that having pro-family initiatives are not only the morally and economically right thing to do, but that the family is the basic building block of our society and must be preserved.

I also shared with Governor Romney my belief that we cannot restore America as the greatest economic engine the world has ever seen until we return America to being a manufacturing superpower. He listened very carefully to my advice on this matter, and while our policy prescriptions differed, he clearly expressed his desire to create more opportunities for those that are feeling left behind in this economy.

As it is often said, "personnel is policy." I strongly encouraged Governor Romney as he builds out his campaign staff and advisors that he add more conservative leaders as an integral part of his team. And you can be sure that I will work with the Governor to help him in this task to ensure he has a strong team that will support him in his conservative policy initiatives.

Of course we talked about what it would take to win this election. As you know I started almost every speech with the phrase that this was the most important election since the election of 1860 and four more years of President Obama is simply not an option. As I contemplated what further steps I will take, that reality weighed heavy on me. The America we know is being fundamentally changed to look more like a European socialist state than the land of opportunity our founding fathers established.

Freedom and personal responsibility are being replaced with big government dependency. The greatest and most productive workers in the world are being hamstrung by excessive regulations making it impossible to compete. Our healthcare system had been socialized, and the worth of each life dictated by some government bureaucrat. Our allies are insulted while our enemies are appeased. And our religious beliefs and freedom have come under attack.

What is even more troubling is what a second term of an Obama administration could bring. President Obama's admission to the Russians that he will have more flexibility in a second term can only be translated to "if you thought I was liberal in the first four years you haven't seen anything yet!"

The primary campaign certainly made it clear that Governor Romney and I have some differences. But there are many significant areas in which we agree: the need for lower taxes, smaller government, and a reduction in out-of-control spending. We certainly agree that abortion is wrong and marriage should be between one man and one woman. I am also comfortable with Governor Romney on foreign policy matters, and we share the belief that we can never allowIranto possess nuclear weapons. And while I had concerns about Governor Romney making a case as a candidate about fighting against Obamacare, I have no doubt if elected he will work with a Republican Congress to repeal it and replace it with a bottom up, patient, not government, driven system.

Above all else, we both agree that President Obama must be defeated. The task will not be easy. It will require all hands on deck if our nominee is to be victorious. Governor Romney will be that nominee and he has my endorsement and support to win this the most critical election of our lifetime.

My conversation with Governor Romney was very productive, but I intend to keep lines of communication open with him and his campaign. I hope to ensure that the values that made America that shining city on the hill are illuminated brightly by our party and our candidates thus ensuring not just a victory, but a mandate for conservative governance.

Karen and I know firsthand how difficult the campaign trail can be particularly as governor Romney faces relentless attacks from the democrats. We have been praying for him and his family and will continue to do so in the weeks and months ahead.

Thank you again for all you have done for us, and I look forward to working together to defeat President Obama this fall and to protect faith, family, freedom and opportunity in America.

With Gratitude,

Rick Santorum

P.S. As promised, very soon we will be making another big announcement, and I will be asking you to once again join forces with me to keep up the fight, together. Stay tuned.

1. bobcat (in a hat) ©

A tourist wanders into a back-alley antique shop somewhere in Washington DC. Picking through the objects on display he discovers a detailed, life-sized bronze sculpture of a rat. The sculpture is so interesting and unique that he picks it up and asks the shop owner what it costs. "Twelve dollars for the rat, sir," says the shop owner, "and a thousand dollars more for the story behind it." "You can keep the story, old man," he replies, "but I'll take the rat."

The transaction complete, the tourist leaves the store with the bronze rat under his arm. As he crosses the street in front of the store,two live rats emerge from a sewer drain and fall into step behind him. Nervously looking over his shoulder, he begins to walk faster, but every time he passes another sewer drain, more rats come out and follow him. By the time he's walked two blocks, at least a hundred rats are at his heels, and people begin to point and shout. He walks even faster, and soon breaks into a trot as thousands of rats swarm from sewers, basements, vacant lots, and abandoned cars.

Rats by the thousands are at his heels, and as he sees the waterfront at the bottom of the hill, he panics and starts to run full tilt. No matter how fast he runs, the rats keep up, squealing hideously, now not just thousands but millions, so that by the time he comes rushing up to the water's edge a trail of rats twelve city blocks long is behind him.

Making a mighty leap, he jumps up onto a light post, grasping it with one arm while he hurls the bronze rat into the Potomac Tidal Basin with the other, as far as he can heave it. Pulling his legs up and clinging to the light post, he watches in amazement as the seething tide of rats surges over the breakwater into the Basin, where they drown.

Shaken and mumbling, he makes his way back to the antique shop."So, you've come back for the rest of the story," says the owner. "No," says the tourist, "I was wondering if you have a bronze congressman. "

May 8, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  2. saywhat

Big deal. Santorum,Romney,Gingrich.Bye,Bye. Come November.
    hey @bobcat. A good start to our day,thanks.

May 8, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat) ©

George Bush goes to a primary [elementary] school to talk about the war. After his talk, he opens the floor to questions. One little boy puts up his hand and George asks him what his name is. "Billy, he says."

"And what is your question, Billy?"

I have 3 questions. First, why did the USA invade Iraq without the support of the UN? Second, why are you President when Al Gore got more votes? And third, whatever happened to Osama Bin Laden?"

Just then the bell rings for recess. George Bush informs the kiddies that they will continue after recess. When they resume George says, "OK, where were we? Oh that's right – question time. Who has a question?" Another little boy puts up his hand. George points him out and asks him his name

"Steve, he says"

"And what is your question, Steve?"

"I have 5 questions. First, why did the USA invade Iraq without the support of the UN? Second, why are you President when Al Gore got more votes? Third, whatever happened to Osama Bin Laden? Fourth, why did the recess bell go 20 minutes early? And fifth, what the hell happened to Billy?"

Good Morning saywhat.

May 8, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. Scottish Mama

@bobcat(iah) just lolololol.

May 8, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

Good Morning Scottish Mama.

May 8, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. Scottish Mama

Morning bobcat(iah).

May 8, 2012 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Pete

Mornin bobcat and Scottish Mama.Bobcat,ya got any jokes on Romney the leper,just asking...

May 8, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Morning Pete.

May 8, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. zip

Do a wiki search of Parley P. Pratt, Mitt Romney's great grandfather. You won't believe it.

May 8, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  7. Scottish Mama

@Zip- read it and Romney is his great- great grandson and Jon Huntsman is Parley's great-great-great grandson. Keeping it in the family sort of? Parley had 12 wives and was supposedly killed by his married 12th wife because she absconded his children from N.O. LA. to meet up with Parley.

May 8, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat (in a hat) ©

Recently while going through an airport during one of his many trips, President Bush encountered a man with long hair, wearing a white robe and sandals, holding a staff. President Bush went up to the man and said, "Aren't you Moses? "

The man never answered but just kept staring ahead.

Again the President said, "Moses! " in a loud voice.

The man just kept staring ahead, never answering the president.

Soon a secret service agent came along and President Bush grabbed him and said, "Doesn't this man look like Moses to you? "

The secret service agent agreed with the President.

Well," said the President, "Every time I say his name, he just keeps staring ahead and refuses to speak. Watch!" Again, the President yelled, "Moses! " and again the man stared ahead.

The secret service man went up to the man in the white robe and whispered, "You look just like Moses. Are you Moses?"

The man leaned over and whispered, "Yes, I am Moses. But the last time I talked to a bush, I spent 40 years wandering in the desert!"

May 8, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  9. Scottish Mama

@Zip should have said killed by her legal husband, and father of her children.

May 8, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Rawr, you've outdone yourself! Well done!

Dontcha just love politics?
    I laugh when I hear about former candidates, who just months before absolutely trashed the current candidate, endorse them now.
    I realize that this happens on both sides of the aisle, but it makes me lol anyway...
    "Sorry about the tar and feathering in January; how about a cabinet position? Are we square here? Good."
    What a circus.

May 8, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  11. Scottish Mama

I ddecided since Mr. Santorum decided to decipher President Obama's words, I would decipher his.
    Pro-family-stamping out gay rights.
    Economic policies-keep the working people at minimun wage or below jobs, stamp out any unions and OSHA safeguards.
    Preserve and stregnthen family's-keep women in their place and probe their bodies into submission.
    Manufacturing superpower-pay like the chinese do to keep the masses under the wealthy thumb.
    Personnel is policy- to keep the American people in the dark about what happens in the government and be able to pass life altering policies that affect our ins. rates to healthcare they feel we deserve as the underlings.
    What is more troubling is an President Obama second term- that he will really help the working class get back some dignity and rights.
    Just as Colin Powell said when we went to war, this is what they said, this is what they meant on the tape. We must go to war in Iraq. He changed his tune though coming to the Democratic side knowing he had ade a mistake by following Bush and buying into the real reason, Carlyle Group and making Cheneys Halburton prosperous.

May 8, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  12. bobcat (in a hat) ©

The Pope and Mitt Romney are on the same stage in front of a huge crowd.

The Pope leans towards Romney and says, "Do you know that with one little wave of my hand I can make every person in this crowd go wild with joy? This joy will not be a momentary display, like that of your followers, but go deep into their hearts and they'll forever speak of this day and rejoice!"

Romney replied, "I seriously doubt that. With one little wave of your hand? Show me."

So the Pope slapped him.

May 8, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. Scottish Mama

ROFLMAO bobcat(iah)- and for an oncore he slapped Rep. Ryan

May 8, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Robyn

Well, my days of not taking Mitt Romney seriously are definitely coming to a middle.

May 8, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. houbie

I saw Rick Santorum's full endorsement of Mitt Romney on the back of a used bottlecap 3 days ago.

May 8, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |