24 hours through the lens
May 8th, 2012

The CNN Daily Mash-up

The CNN Daily Mash-up is a roundup of some of the most interesting, surprising, curious, poignant or significant items to appear on CNN.com in the past 24 hours. We'll top it with a collection of the day's most striking photographs.

Was it something she said?

A Lutheran pastor in Oak Park, Illinois, was struck by lighting while on a walk for hunger, CNN affiliate WBBM reports. How do you suppose that will figure into future sermons?

Chardon High rocks its prom

The Ohio high school where three students were shot dead in February took another step toward healing over the weekend. With the help of ballot-box stuffing by other schools, Chardon High School won a radio contest by a landslide to hold its spring dance at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in nearby Cleveland. CNN affiliate WEWS reports:

iReport: Smiles amid flooding in Phnom Penh

CNN iReporter Jim Heston shot some great photos on Monday and Tuesday of heavy flooding in the streets of Phnom Penh, Cambodia, following the first major storm of the rainy season. "Phnom Penh has this happen about four to 10 times each rainy season," he said. "'If there is a downpour of the same magnitude, certain areas around town flood."

Sendak on Sendak

Children's author Maurice Sendak's death at 83 has evoked an outpouring of praise and nostalgia. But the straight-talking writer and illustrator would have none of it, if this quote from a 2011 interview in The Atlantic is an indication:

I don't know how to do a children's book. I don't even know what a children's book is. I always know that my work is deemed suitable - more suitable - for children. I don't believe that, but who cares? Who cares?

Readers heap praise on Sendak

CNN.com users have been effusive in their praise of and gratitude toward Sendak. (That's CNN iReporter Stephanie Clawson's foot tattoo at right.) This comment, from GizzyN, is typical:

I've probably bought 50 copies of WtWTA over the years... every young child in my life has gotten a copy at one time or another.  My kids, my nieces & nephews, my cousin's kids, kids of friends... and I remember reading it when I was a child.

I still have the copies I got for my kids (they're grown now), and hopefully will be reading it to my grandchildren someday.

Maurice – you made millions of kids giggle and smile.  You made us less afraid of the monsters under the bed and in the closet.  You made the world magical.  And you made us, as kids, feel powerful.  Your legacy will live on for generations to come... thank you for shining your light on this world.  You will be missed as deeply as your words are beloved.

On the horizon: The king and the queen

This is not on black velvet. Artist Andy Warhol's silkscreen painting of Elvis Presley, titled "Double Elvis (Ferus Type)" will go on the auction block Wednesday at Sotheby's in New York City, where it is expected to fetch $30 million to $50 million.

Meanwhile, amid political turbulence in Europe, Queen Elizabeth II will formally open the British Parliament in one of the most colorful events of the year. The queen will travel by carriage from Buckingham Palace to Parliament, where she will deliver a speech from the throne in the House of Lords. She is expected to announce new government economic measures.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Daily Mash-up
  1. Mary

The third photo of the boy holding his sister as personnel demolish his house along with others, makes one pause to see that others *truly* have life much worse.

May 8, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Karl

I couldn't stop looking at it either. :( Heart-breaking.
      And so much responsibility at such a young age.
      I wish we could know more about this boy and his family.

May 8, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Scottish Mama

@Mary and Karl- ditto.

May 8, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. catherine

Sad, The question is what can we do to make things better and there for do it!

May 8, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. gwen

Yes, please, tell us how we can do something for this youngster. I know there are many like him but at least one by one we can handle the enormous tasks.

May 8, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • 2ND2NUN

YEEESSSSS!!!!

May 9, 2012 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mary K

Gosh I couldn't agree more. When I see this little boy, I am reminded that my troubles are nothing short of selfish in comparison and that I should count my blessings one more time! How quickly the image put things in perspective.

May 8, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. saif110

Third picture is heart-breaking! Unfortunately, this is very common scenario in many third world countries

May 8, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Bharat

As I was going through those pictures...It reminds me of my childhood. I am from the same country of that lil boy. This is a common issue back home. People they don't have place to live so they live in street. Corrupted government is doing nothing besids taking all the money and enjoy the western facilities. Poor are dying hungry and riches are dying from excess amount of food. Life is so terrible back there. Need a good leader and system to control all these things.

May 9, 2012 at 12:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Leslie

Please let us know how to help the young boy in the picture

May 9, 2012 at 12:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. 2ND2NUN

How can we HELP the boy CNN?

May 9, 2012 at 1:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Aimee

Pic 3 is heartbreaking. And Beyonce Honey that dress is UUUUUGGGLY and unflattering! But your face looks fabulous!

May 9, 2012 at 1:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. mtaylor

When I this very young boy holding his little sister and crying like a little man hiding his face in his little hand I paused and prayed "how can I help?" Please dear Lord use me to help... but then as I read on how perfect and beautiful that even in the midst of SO MUCH evil we read about.. and the fact News only focuses on the horrific stuff and senseless things that don't amount to beans when it comes to all the despair in this world than some bird feathered looking dress, I say reading the comments over and over how beautiful and what a blessing to see that so many people still exist with such caring and beautiful hearts that like me wish we could go pick up that little boy and his sister, bring them home, dress them, feed them and give them a education and toys appropriate for play and make a better life for him but helpless as we are.. God knows our hearts and how we wish we could change something as sad as what we see in these children. God bless all of you that are still so kind and caring.. just wish the whole world was like that and no more evil but not until it all ends.

May 9, 2012 at 2:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. syed ahmed

nepali kids picture make me cry ,please if some one can help him for just god sake ,if i am citizen here in state i will addopt the childers ,my hand are very thight please this is requst from poor guy

May 9, 2012 at 2:31 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Bharat

When I was in Nepal 2 years ago, I saw a boy in the street without any piece of clothes on his body and crying.. It was winter and the temperature was almost around 25 F. I went near by and asked him how can I help him, he simply smile and said he is ok like that, he only need is couple of bucks to buy some food for his sister and brothers. I took him to a nearby restaurant and bought him and for his family food and gave him couple of Nepali currency to buy clothes. He blessed me and I found myself in peace. Your $1 will be equivalent to around 80 Rupees in Nepal which is almost enough to buy food for a family of 4 members for one day. Your little help will bring big difference in people's life.
    God Bless Nepal ( N=Never, E=Ending, P=Peace, A= And L= Love).

May 9, 2012 at 3:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Prince

I am from the same country. Being abroad, i am unable to help him directly. I humbly request everybody to raise hands to reduce the pain of this helpless child.

May 9, 2012 at 5:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. jose delgado

good morning. The oil barrel for a month to come down in price, but the recent gas stations began to drop gasoline prices to the most insignificant. But when the price of oil will raise the price the next day. For us the customer we cheat the companies supplying gasoline nationwide. This is evil and illegal act to America.

May 9, 2012 at 8:04 am | Report abuse | Reply