May 8th, 2012

Tuesday's live events

The race to the presidency now turns toward the general election in November.  CNN.com Live is your home for all the latest news and views from the campaign trail.

Today's programming highlights...

10:00 am ET - U.S. Border Patrol hearing - The head of the U.S. Border Patrol testifies before a House homeland security subcommittee on the agency's new strategic plan and way forward.

10:45 am ET - Biden in Atlanta - Vice President Biden is in Georgia this morning, and will speak before the Rabbinical Assembly's annual convention in Atlanta.

12:00 pm ET - Senate student loan cloture vote - The debate over preventing federal student loan interest rates from doubling this summer continues in the Senate.  A vote on limiting debate on a motion to proceed with such legislation is expected.

12:35 pm ET - Romney in Michigan - GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney addresses supporters at a campaign event in Lansing, Michigan.

7:00 pm ET - Primary night in Indiana - Incumbent Sen. Dick Lugar is facing a tough fight in his GOP primary against Richard Mourdock.  Both candidates hold primary night viewing parties in Indianapolis, and are expected to speak with supporters, win or lose.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Elections • Politics
  1. bobcat (in a hat) ©

There were three people stranded on an island, a brunette, a redhead, and a blonde. The brunette looked over the water to the mainland and estimated about 20 miles to shore. So she announced, "I'm going to try to swim to shore." She swam out five miles, and got really tired. She swam out ten miles from the island, and she was too tired to go on, so she drowned.

The second one, the redhead, said to herself, "I wonder if she made it. I guess it's better to try to get to the mainland than stay here and starve." So she attempts to swim out. The redhead had a lot more endurance than the brunette, as she swam out 10 miles before she even got tired. After 15 miles, she was too tired to go on, so she drowned.

The blonde thought to herself, "I wonder if they made it! I think I'd better try to make it, too." So she swam out 5 miles, ten miles, 15 miles, NINETEEN miles from the island. The shore was just in sight, but she said, "I'm too tired to go on!" So she swam back.

May 8, 2012 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Lol...thank you for the wake up joke.

I just heard on television that the mother and three girls that were abducted from Tennesee has an update: the bodies of the mother and the oldest daughter were found.
      The two younger daughters are still suspected to me with Mays, (I think that's his name).
      Sad.

May 8, 2012 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat) ©

@banasy©

Good Morning

Yeah, I just saw that same news. So sad. This is getting to be a daily occurence in the news. Has everybody gone totally insane ?

May 8, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  2. Quest Shun

Not everybody. But we're getting there.

May 8, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

I agree with you, Quest Shun.
    And it's scary as hell.

May 8, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. pmk1953

We now offiially live in "the place where the nuts hunt the squirrels." Howdy folks. Finally got a day off of new job. I assemble engines at a machine shop. Pays good, keeps me busy working with my hands.

May 8, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. kellyintulsa

Good afternoon everyone.
    It's sad what some people today do to kids. I remember being able to play in the yard without my dad around to watch out for me. It wasn't until I was in 8th grade that we had to start locking our front door. Now I'm afraid for my step son to get out of my sight.

May 8, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ kellyintulsa

I sure understand what you're saying. I remember while growing up on the means streets of Detroit in the 50's and 60's. It was nothing to be able to stay out until well after dark. You can't turn your backs on your children in the daytime now. It's getting to be a very scary world.

May 8, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Me

Question,,,,,why does there have to be so many mean people in our lifes? I cant stand it when others step in and destroy all the hard work that somenoe puts into there and the lifes of there immediate family,,,wife and children,,,and it took someone 16 1/2 years to destroy everything that i put into that! I didnt let it happen i fought hard to end it, and all i got was a stab in the back well well well,,,, to all of those out there that think that running others lifes and manipulating your loved ones to destroy a generation of children take a moment and think twice about your actions might destroy and the problems that it will cause the children im experiencing the damage donr right now its not fair to the children and if you think that they will never know? Well when those children grow up and mature the will know the truth and they will hate or learn to hate by your actions its a disease that carries on for a long time and its something that needs to stop it makes me sick to know that these people have done so much damage to this relationship that i have to fight the rest of my life to correct the damage so to all those people out there that think they are being smart and getting away with some kind of game you are the twisted ones good bye

May 9, 2012 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  8. Me

A little maniacal if you all want to call it that!!!!my daughter just called me and said that shes tired of hearing to bs about me can you believe it ? Someone in there last days is still being just down right nasty and continues the destruction of young people and my x wife i have the upmost respect for that woman and it was never her fault and i never blamed her for it its the way of the mean ones its just easier for them to live a hatefull spitefull life than it is to be nice wow what an improvement ive made ha? So to orange county clan eat your hearts out and heed these words it comes around 10 fold

May 9, 2012 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. Me

Lets talk about those two that live in orange county that pencil in there family and ink in there friends,,,,its these types the refuse to except responsibitily for there actions and the way they live there lifes ,,,,aaaahhhh oh thats right they live there lifes by example of pro athletes that are la based not to be mentioned,,,,,,adultry is bad juju but for a man to fight a family for so many years and then you laugh in his face in front of his children and for what reason? You live a life of ill repute and think that you are above those good people? Is a shame that you have to live such a life following your super hero athletes so to T & K heidel,,,,,,have a good life and remember that you are the better of society LMMFAO at you

May 9, 2012 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. georgew6

Most people are good. They work hard, maybe believe in a high power, take care of their kids and watch out for the neighbors' kids, pay taxes, go to war, try to get the best education they can. Our high tech era now brings us the cases of all the deviants who are not at all like that. The best we can do now is be educated in the ways we can prevent or change some of them or at least prevent them from hurting others. We don't do a good job on that now so maybe we can change.

May 10, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |