May 10th, 2012

Greek Socialist leader gets chance to form government

The leader of the Socialist PASOK party in Greece is starting efforts to build a government, his party said Thursday, making him the third Greek politician since Sunday to make the attempt.

The PASOK party of Evangelos Venizelos came in third in parliamentary elections on Sunday, and his effort to hammer out a workable coalition comes after the heads of the parties that came in first and second admitted defeat.

He will have an uphill battle after voters angry about tough government budget cuts backed parties on the far left and right, punishing PASOK and New Democracy, the more moderate parties that made the cuts.

He has three days to cobble together a deal.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Budget • Economy • European Union • Greece
  1. hamsta

@ chrissy dont know if my last comment posted. sorry to hear about your grandson.i hope hes ok and wish him a speedy recovery.sounds like you live in area just as rough as mine.i have heard about your drive by room. mine is my bedroom. having a giant fish tank by my bed helps though.

May 10, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. veteran

@hamsta and just to think that when you first showed up there was a couple females that thought I mean they swore up and down that I was you.

May 10, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. banasy©

@veteran:
    Yes, leeintulsa passed away April 10th.
    It affected me very much; he and I became pretty good buddies.
    His gf Kelly is a real gem; she has become a dear friend, also.

s kel got a new phone; he checks in from time to time.
    He says he dislikes his new phone; I dislike mine as well.
    Cnn changed formats, so I really do not like to post using my phone...I never thought I would ever say this, but I miss my Blackberry.

May 10, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. chrissy

lmao @ hamsta, he bounced back fast, of course now he thinks hes invincable & yep thats why they call it lil saigon i guess. Wasnt bad til recently when they laid off more than half of the police force. And yea veteran, i was upset on that move. Go Inge!

May 10, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. veteran

Omg banasy what happened to lee man if only I had said to H E LL with it and came back sooner,I might had been able to talk to him again.He had a good heart he will live on forever.Been watching the post for awhile and havent seen skels post.New format? what do u mean?

May 10, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. hamsta

@veteran i wanted to join the military long ago. they refused me but after seeing what my brother has gone through im glad they refused me.

May 10, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. hamsta

@banasy i have been wanting to ask the same thing but if you dont want to talk about it i understand.

May 10, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. chrissy

Lee had a blood clot. And he passed away at home. Most likely the hardest thing kelly has ever had to go thru. And shes a terriffic person.

May 10, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. chrissy

And veteran, s kel hasnt posted since before you stopped. He does text from time to time though, and last i spoke with him, he and the mrs were traveling.

May 10, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. veteran

@hamsta I though ah its ok when I was in.But my duty was during peacetime.Now looking back wish I would have stayed in,But oh well went on to own my own buisness and things work out when ya walk the right path

May 10, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. banasy©

@ hamsta and veteran:
    What chrissy said.
    He had a blood clot that broke away and went to his lung.
    He hadn't been feeling well before that; he thought it was just a chest cold.
    He was a terrific person, and Kelly is a strong lady.

I miss his posts terribly.
    He was my Monty Python buddy; he •got• my sense of humor, ya know?

May 10, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. veteran

G nite ttyallt

May 10, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Greek American

No its not Socialists that started this problem in the first place! Greeks took a loan from Goldman Sachs that invested in derivatives many years ago. It was a garbage investment, and they lost hundreds and millions of dollars on it. They then lost credit and borrowing power, which started their decline. The biggest problem for them is not only Socialist government members, but ALL government parties stealing money. They have an overblown parliament of 400 people also, which is way too large for a country of their population.

May 11, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Greek American

@hamsterette
    You are correct, we should all thank people when credit is due. How about you practice what you preach and thank my Socialist people for giving you democracy, your language, for writing part of your Bible, and yes even for being brave enough to stand up alone against the Nazis in WW2 to help hold up Hitler and change the face of the war.
    Again, try reading a history book not written by your daddy GWB and uncle Dickey Cheney and maverick auntie Palin.
    You're welcome.

May 11, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. hamsta

@ unamerican greek you cant talk out of both ends at the same time. true plato and socrates may have invented democracy but they have been dead for more than 1000 years. socialism has since murdered democracy in greece. i suggest you pick up a history book and while youre at it read 1984. the things you speak of that caused problems in greece all fall under socialism. the problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples money. what then? start a war and conquer someone. repeat cycle until it can no longer be sustained. thats exactly what hitler did and all socialists before him. socialists are parasites.

May 11, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply