Overheard on CNN.com: 'I stand with Joe Arpaio,' reader says about lawsuit
A Justice Department report describes "a pervasive culture of discriminatory bias against Latinos" in Joe Arpaio's office.
May 10th, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: 'I stand with Joe Arpaio,' reader says about lawsuit

The Justice Department filed a civil lawsuit against Sheriff Joe Arpaio and Maricopa County, Arizona, on Thursday.

"They're using me for the Latino vote, showing that they're doing something, taking on the sheriff over an alleged racial profiling," Arpaio told reporters in Phoenix. Our readers had varying takes on the controversial sheriff, illegal immigration and Arizona in general.

Arpaio: 'I will fight this to the bitter end'

Readers debated whether the federal government should be getting involved.

Tr1Xen: "I stand with Joe Arpaio on this one. Illegal immigration should be fought vigorously, and I applaud the State of Arizona and the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department for taking that fight much more seriously than the Obama administration has. Heck, the Obama administration found fault in Texas' recent legislation requiring registered voters to provide photo ID, claiming that it discriminated against Latinos because they disproportionately lack photo identification (even though they are every bit as eligible to obtain photo identification, provided they are here legally). By the way, as a Texan, if that legislation is overturned by the federal government or isn't in effect on Election Day, I plan to wear a name tag with someone else's name on it when I go to vote. I'll tell them my correct name and to just ignore the name tag on my clothing. I urge others to do likewise! :)"

NoTarOnBeach: "Then you stand with a criminal. If you are OK with the police working outside the laws, then don't complain when the police abuse carries over to you."

19volks71: "Thank you. The federal government has no business in county level operations."

These people spoke out against Arpaio.

Ed Campbell: "Is there anyone in Arizona government who actually cares about civil rights?"

katepig: "Doesn't look like it does it. I'm from Arizona, but I've escaped. Joe Arpaio is one of the most corrupt sheriffs in the U.S. This guy is such a profound scumbag, I'm glad they're finally taking some action in regard to his vile behavior. If he and Jan Brewer were permanently removed from service, there would just be 100 more racist rednecks to take there place. Political buffoonery is par for the course in AZ."

These commenters wrote in support of Arpaio.

Tjscott: "So let's get this straight. Arizona has one of the highest immigration problems in the United States with the VAST majority of these illegals being Hispanic. Key words being illegal and Hispanic. Now, we're going to sue the person we put in charge of enforcing laws in a particular county of Arizona. The circus act that is the U.S. Justice Department is going to sue the guy who is supposed to get rid of people breaking laws (hence, 'illegals' in the earlier portion of this note), sending a clear message that you shouldn't actually arrest the grossly overpopulated illegal Hispanics. Wow. That makes no sense at all. I hope the terrorists succeed in taking out D.C. next time."

tgloege: "Leave Joe alone for crying out loud! If we had a sheriff like Joe in every county in the U.S., we'd have far fewer illegal aliens sucking up taxpayer money."

Aaaaand ... cue the state-on-state rivalries.

ProfLogie: "I've traveled through Maricopa County ... didn't stop or buy anything though ... Tried not to spend any money in the backwards state of Arizona."

Cat Nippy: "I once considered retiring in Arizona. No more. To paraphrase an old quotation, if I owned hell and Arizona, I would live in hell and rent out Arizona."

novax: "Yea, probably from the progressive state of California!"

What's your opinion of Arpaio? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Joe Arpaio • Justice • Lawsuit • Overheard on CNN.com • U.S.
  1. della

Horray for Sheriff Joe. If the guys in government love the illegals so much let them come stay in their houses. The violent crimes are horrible in Mexico. Today alone they found another 49 dead bodies. He doesn't want them in his state and I don't blame him. They cross the border, commit crimes and run back over until the coast is clear. Thank you Sheriff Joe for what you have done.

May 13, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marica

I agree 100%...Good job Sheriff Joe!!!

September 1, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  2. John Burkett, Clatonia, NE

I applaud Sheriff Joe!! It's about time someone has balls to stand up and enforce the laws!! Instead of pampering the inmates at the county jail he treats them like they should be treated- CRIMINALS! Maybe most of them won't come back to jail! Illegal immigration is a huge problem in this country!! Wake up already you bleeding hearts!! YOU GO, JOE!! You are my hero!!!!

May 13, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cal-boy

Sheriff Joe was hired because AZ had a problem, now that he's doing it some are complaining. stop complaining and join the sheriffs department. Mabey once you've been spit at, thrown up on, shot at (and worse),wrestled to the ground, worked long hours, night & day in Arizona weather, and probably divorced, then get up the next day and start again, you'll understand. there is an old saying on the farm "if you wrestle with pigs, your going to get some mud on you"

May 13, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Danny Agee

I will never understand why those in this country illegially can obtain benefits from federal and state government while I as a veteran can not receive them. I have no problem with the sheriff that enforces the law. The rest of the country needs to stand behind him and insit we do the same everywhere.

May 14, 2012 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
    • my taxpayers money

This Sheriff is about the only one trying to handle this invasion into our country. I just recently read the stats that 56% of Hispanic's legally in the U. S are receiving some kind of aid. Welfare, food stamps etc from the government. Add to that 57% of illegal aliens (yes that is the correct name if you read the Federal Immigration Laws) are receiving aid as well.
      I agree with you Danny, Vets are losing their homes, spouses and many in badly need of good medical care to deal with PTSS. Instead many are homeless and forgotten about, left to scamble to make a living. Suicide rate very high from being deployed again and again. Does this make sense after fighting for their country? The stress on their families? Let me know someone when you get the answer!

September 2, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Friedwatermellon

GO JOE Fight these low life forms in Washington who have no right to be in power.
    Vote them out in November and remember never ever to vote a low life into our government regardless of their party.

May 14, 2012 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  6. superlogi

If there's a way to purchase a vote, Barry and his merry band of progressives will figure it. Now, the economy, that's something quite different.

May 14, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. dennis gemmell

GO JOE. I have traveled extensively in Mexico, Honduras and Guatemala and every Friday and Saturday the lines outside the Western Union were wrapped around the corner with people waiting to collect the money from the United States. The dollars sent to these countries is in the billions of dollars. Billions of dollars that is not being put into the United States economy. The are called illegal immigrants for a reason. They committed an illegal act and when you commit an illegal you are a criminal. Start calling them that and treating them as such.

May 14, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John D

To all who think Arizona is a terrible place, good, spread the word. I tell everyone the asphalt melts and the rattlesnakes bite, that way they might not come here. The only thing wrong with Arizona is there are too many people, and too many Illegals. We like Sheriff Joe, that' why he gets 80% of the vote each election.

If you are "progressive" you should like California. They have even more illegals and are 16B in debt.

May 14, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Law & Order

Sheriff Joe is defending the American freedom (or what is left of it). He is correct in his position to stop illegals from corrupting our system. No illegal pays taxes, because they are not legal to be here in the first place. The Hospitals are jammed with illegals who don't pay and you cannot even get into the ER. Theyhave no ID but the Hospitals must accept them as a patient. I am not against anyone receiving help and Care, just pay your part by getting a SSN/and pay your taxes. We cannot pay everything just because you found a loophole in our system. Get a SSN and pay your share. It can also be used as ID when you vote.

September 1, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. dakota2000

The sheriff tortures his prisoner by housing them in hot tents in the unbearable arizona heat.

Her files falls charges against anyone in the state that tries to investigate him.

If you defend Arpiao, you either ignorant, or a jerk or both.

Having said that, he is an elected official and his stance reflects what the primitive, backward people around Phoenix want.

September 1, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • ABVick

Living in a tent in "unbearable" heat isn't torture. Where do you think I lived for 15 months while overseas serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom/Endurance? I'll tell you, in a tent in "unbearable" heat. Does it suck...yes. But better a tent than just on a cot with no cover.

September 4, 2012 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. Panties

I will Stand Up for Sheriff Joe Arapio. He is a true American Hero.

September 1, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. wigglwagon

Joe Arpaio for President!!!

September 2, 2012 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  13. Name*Larry Crum

he Sometimes he may talk to much. That said if he arrest a person who is in this country illegally how can you say he is racially profiling. The probability of him catching anyone other than illegal Hispanic in Arizona are very slim. So when he I forces the law he is accused of racial profiling. If the person he interviews is not in this country illegally he can't arrest him anyway. Let the man do his job. Iam fed up with the cop out racial profiling..What ever race one is he can't be arrested if he has done nothing wrong. But when he arrest an illegal alien they say racial profiling. I say (ILLEGAL ALIEN) says it all. Let him do his job. He may be rough around the edges but he's got balls enough to do his job and more power to him we need lots more like him.

September 2, 2012 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
    • my taxpayers money

Right on Larry, just the money we pay for the birth's is staggering. An average birth hospital bill with no complications is about $12,000. They pay nothing and just keep having kid after kid. Add to that the justice system, free lawyers, interpretors all on the government's dime. Oh and now coming up free college educations while American citizens are going broke paying student loans! I say "you go Joe".

September 2, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. k. guerrero

I stand with Joe Arpaio. If people want to come to this country they really should try doing it the legal way, not tunneling under the border, not climbing a fence, not swimming a river. This goes for anyone wanting to come to this country, not just for people from down south. I think it's right & fair to ask for proper ID when you have been stopped. Yeah, I know some people will have crap to talk about my opinions. Knock yourselves out. Won't offend me as I am not easily offended.

September 23, 2012 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |