Overheard on CNN.com: 'I stand with Joe Arpaio,' reader says about lawsuit
A Justice Department report describes "a pervasive culture of discriminatory bias against Latinos" in Joe Arpaio's office.
May 10th, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: 'I stand with Joe Arpaio,' reader says about lawsuit

The Justice Department filed a civil lawsuit against Sheriff Joe Arpaio and Maricopa County, Arizona, on Thursday.

"They're using me for the Latino vote, showing that they're doing something, taking on the sheriff over an alleged racial profiling," Arpaio told reporters in Phoenix. Our readers had varying takes on the controversial sheriff, illegal immigration and Arizona in general.

Arpaio: 'I will fight this to the bitter end'

Readers debated whether the federal government should be getting involved.

Tr1Xen: "I stand with Joe Arpaio on this one. Illegal immigration should be fought vigorously, and I applaud the State of Arizona and the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department for taking that fight much more seriously than the Obama administration has. Heck, the Obama administration found fault in Texas' recent legislation requiring registered voters to provide photo ID, claiming that it discriminated against Latinos because they disproportionately lack photo identification (even though they are every bit as eligible to obtain photo identification, provided they are here legally). By the way, as a Texan, if that legislation is overturned by the federal government or isn't in effect on Election Day, I plan to wear a name tag with someone else's name on it when I go to vote. I'll tell them my correct name and to just ignore the name tag on my clothing. I urge others to do likewise! :)"

NoTarOnBeach: "Then you stand with a criminal. If you are OK with the police working outside the laws, then don't complain when the police abuse carries over to you."

19volks71: "Thank you. The federal government has no business in county level operations."

These people spoke out against Arpaio.

Ed Campbell: "Is there anyone in Arizona government who actually cares about civil rights?"

katepig: "Doesn't look like it does it. I'm from Arizona, but I've escaped. Joe Arpaio is one of the most corrupt sheriffs in the U.S. This guy is such a profound scumbag, I'm glad they're finally taking some action in regard to his vile behavior. If he and Jan Brewer were permanently removed from service, there would just be 100 more racist rednecks to take there place. Political buffoonery is par for the course in AZ."

These commenters wrote in support of Arpaio.

Tjscott: "So let's get this straight. Arizona has one of the highest immigration problems in the United States with the VAST majority of these illegals being Hispanic. Key words being illegal and Hispanic. Now, we're going to sue the person we put in charge of enforcing laws in a particular county of Arizona. The circus act that is the U.S. Justice Department is going to sue the guy who is supposed to get rid of people breaking laws (hence, 'illegals' in the earlier portion of this note), sending a clear message that you shouldn't actually arrest the grossly overpopulated illegal Hispanics. Wow. That makes no sense at all. I hope the terrorists succeed in taking out D.C. next time."

tgloege: "Leave Joe alone for crying out loud! If we had a sheriff like Joe in every county in the U.S., we'd have far fewer illegal aliens sucking up taxpayer money."

Aaaaand ... cue the state-on-state rivalries.

ProfLogie: "I've traveled through Maricopa County ... didn't stop or buy anything though ... Tried not to spend any money in the backwards state of Arizona."

Cat Nippy: "I once considered retiring in Arizona. No more. To paraphrase an old quotation, if I owned hell and Arizona, I would live in hell and rent out Arizona."

novax: "Yea, probably from the progressive state of California!"

What's your opinion of Arpaio? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Joe Arpaio • Justice • Lawsuit • Overheard on CNN.com • U.S.
  1. Mike

If Joe wins, I'm moving to Arizona. He's the kind of political every county in the Nation needs. I back Joe.

Obama and his administration are nothing but a bunch of hacks,

May 10, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • mickey1313

I agree about joe. The federal government doesn't enforce the immigration laws, so they are doing of at the state level. Up with AZ and every other state fighting illegal immigration

May 10, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gary

Let Joe do his job! Our state is being abused by outsiders that do not belong here.
      Our forefathers came into this country thru the North Eastern states and had to learn some English and Dis-own their own country. Allow everyone to enter our great country "legally" and remember "We are one nation under God!"

May 11, 2012 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Tooter

Mike amen and amen again.

May 11, 2012 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • WHOOSHED

Why wait. Go back now and offer him your undying support. We need to get all you whacks in one place for your own safety.
      America is tired of this hate nonsense.

May 11, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Randolph

The tyrants are abusing the power of government to coerce and oppress the citizenry. There's not a cell of justice in Eric Holder's body. He wields that office as a weapon against political foes.

May 10, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. dazzle ©

As a resident of Maricopa and Pima County In Arizona, I am glad that Sheriff Joe is in charge. One of the things that he
    enforces is very strict DUI laws. You wouldn't dare have a cocktail and drive. Even if you are not intoxicated, if you've been drinking, off to Tent City you go. Arizona has gotten even stricter on DUI laws, where people who abuse benzos and drive can be taken away. The illegal immigration laws are enforced at the state level and Joe Arpaio has been relentless in his enforcing of these laws. I applaud him. Any allegations against him will be determined in a court of law not in the court of public opinion.

May 10, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. dazzle ©

The case of the disappearing post. What's that all about? Perhaps it is my support of Sheriff Joe.

May 10, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Russell C.

Me too dazzle had to type my post twice

May 10, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. dazzle ©

@Russell C, thank you for that. I typed it three times and it still won't go through.

May 10, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. dazzle ©

Ok troll, don't make me look like hamsta gone rogue. At least the original posted.

May 10, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Jim

I guess alot of the State of Az. (illegals and Latino's) want Sheriff Joe out so they can get some wuss Democrat in there, that bows to them. Sheriff Joe is tough on crime.. Only the guilty dont like him.

May 10, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jj

jim very well spoken! So so true that only the guilty don't like him. If a person breaks the law no matter who u are you suffer the conciquences. Leave it liberals to screw up something so black and white. End of story

May 10, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • mickey1313

Liberal doesn't mean soft on criminals. I'm considered a liberal and I'm for Joe aparo, and the FL stand your ground law.

May 10, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tooter

Lots of Democrats like this man and support him. Don't make this a party affiliation thing it is not. All my Democrat friends and myself are in favor of making criminals pay for their crimes and sending back illegals not here legally. Sure some Dems are a little softer on crime but no all. We love America and want her to flurish no give into the ACLU.

May 11, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. dazzle ©

What is your deal with trolling and jacking me?

May 10, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. No homeless in Phoenix AZ

...not to mention, if you were known to be gay and also one who spit on MY* basketball court, you wore a mask from now on. (aids) The guards made you wear a mask. *taxoaer dollars paid for the court, and the use it to speedily process illegal Mexicans instead)

May 10, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. No homeless in Phoenix AZ

*taxpayer.

May 10, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Mika Jackson

We need more like Joe.

May 10, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

Looks to me, the man needs something more like a front end loader.

May 10, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Mary

@ Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"
    ETRA wide ? ;)