May 11th, 2012

Obama fundraiser at George Clooney's home nets $15 million

Hollywood pulled off another blockbuster as a star-studded guest list delivered $15 million into the campaign coffers of President Barack Obama Thursday night.

The fundraiser at the home of actor and activist George Clooney in the Studio City neighborhood of Los Angeles attracted dozens of guests including DreamWorks studio executive Jeffrey Katzenberg, along with designer Diane Von Furstenberg, Barbra Streisand, her actor husband Josh Brolin and actress/model Stacy Keibler.

In a largely jovial address to guests, Obama acknowledged that the road to the White House in 2012 will be much different than the campaign four years ago.

"This is going to be harder than it was the last time ... 2008 in some ways was lightening in a bottle," the president said.

Obama is locked in a tight race with presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Barack Obama • Politics • U.S.
  1. The Devolution of Marriage

President Obama is getting credit, even from some critics, for finally being honest and consistent in his position on same-s@x marriage now that he has announced his support for it. But he is still being neither honest nor consistent. And his dishonesty is not merely a matter of pretending that he has truly changed his mind about marriage, rather than about the politics of marriage.

His claim that he believes that states should decide marriage policy is also impossible to credit. One of the purposes of the federal Defense of Marriage Act was to block this scenario: A same-s@x couple that resides in a state that does not recognize same-s@x unions as marriages goes to a state that does so recognize them, gets married there, returns home, sues in federal court to make the home state recognize the “marriage,” and prevails. Obama has long favored the repeal of the act. He does not truly want states to be able to continue to define marriage as the union of a man and a woman.

May 11, 2012 at 4:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. The Devolution of Marriage

Should the government be the enforcer of religious beliefs? Doesn't immoral behavior reflect a freedom of choice to do wrong? Has the Moral boundaries of society around the globe widened so far, as to abolishing the constricting structure of organized religion all together?

May 11, 2012 at 5:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

some people will say anything for a 15 million dollar check...

May 11, 2012 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. Andreas Moser

And I wasn't even invited.

May 11, 2012 at 5:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

Hooray foy Hollywood!
    Bravo Obama.
    @ The Devolution of Marriage:
    I do think that's the saddest thing I've ever heard. Why, the states didn't even get to make their own independent decisions about segregation, and integration goes against my interpretation of the Holy Bible.

May 11, 2012 at 6:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

hollywood bashes does not certify anything...really jif...i woulddah thought you would aspire to more reliable sources to support you arguments then a get drunk and eat party....

May 11, 2012 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

I forgot to use my favourite degree, Doctor of Divinity, beside my name in my post referring to the Holy Bible.
    I think it slipped my mind because of that Separation of Church and State stuff, which, as we all know, is foolishness.
    I also forgot to write, "...it just plumb slipped my mind," in the previous sentence, as I'm trying to alter my speech toward a Mississippi-North Carolina model just in case Romey wins the 2012 election.

May 11, 2012 at 7:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

what separation of church and state are you talking about...that does not exist? It's not called divinity it's called theology...are you still burping that cheap champagne? yah dang tootin' since the obama g-ay plunder has cattle herd dedicated votes to romney...that is the only correct notion you have made this morning...

May 11, 2012 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  6. ♚Mmmmm♛

...didn't realized clooney was a rock dweller...

May 11, 2012 at 7:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini, D.D. ©™

@ Mmmmm:
    Regarding "reliable sources," please check out the current American Psychiatric Association's DIAGNOSTIC AND STATISTICAL MANUAL OF MENTAL DISORDERS and send me the billing code for "gay man" or "lesbian."
    I need to get money from some insurance companies, and I can't find these conditions in the book.
    I sent some insurance companies "Romans I" as a billing code but they refused to pay for the sessions.

May 11, 2012 at 7:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

oh sooo you're the one circulating these associations and professions that have been largely infiltrated by the g-ay community...just because dsm has retracted the does not erase the pathology of ho' -m06xuality...it would be interesting to research the diagnosis code clusters of this patient group who live this high risk life...the insurance companies know this group desolate resources...sickly bunch: mentally, spiritually, and phisically. what illnesses do you suffer from jif?

May 11, 2012 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

i hope you know the psychiatric coommunity is a crazy bunch of people...and tend to be irreligious and a bit on the circus freaky side...eg sigmund ferud...

May 11, 2012 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

of course psychiatry discipline has evolved into the modern, new age confession box rendering absolution and pills to its congregations...really people you should go to the real thing...they will turn you into drug addicts...

May 11, 2012 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini, D.D. ©™

@ Mmmmm:
      One reason that the APA made the decision to remove "gay" from the list of mental disorders was that studies showed that gay people suffered from mental illness in the same statistical proportion that straight people did.
      I know personally two of the doctors who were instrumental in achieving this progress.

May 11, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

now yah going back to eating that baloney again...like I said study the diagnosis codes of the g-ay communitiy it ain't gonna be a pretty picture....holy people are very healthy and live a long time.... :)

May 11, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini, D.D. ©™

@ Mmmmm:
    It's OK: I don't take anything stronger than Bayer aspirin.

May 11, 2012 at 8:22 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Sayer

Obama and Clooney went upstairs to swap oral favors afterwards.

Who knew O was bi? While suppressed by an adoring complicit media, Obama was a members in a Chicago gay club, Man’s Country. He enjoyed relations with Donald Young, the openly-gay choir-director of the church in Chicago of which Obama was a member for some 20 years — Jeremy Wright’s Trinity United Church of Christ black liberation theology.

Besides making alot of $$$ from donors who swing that way, bi Obama really doesn't have much of a choice.

President of the US, in the backseat of a limo slobbering the knob. I never thought it would happen...

May 11, 2012 at 8:46 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

see...that's the problem with "you people"...lol..

May 11, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Oh, for goodness sake! Obama isn't any more bi than you are!
      Will you stop at nothing to paint everyone the exact thing you yourself are afraid to admit?
      C'mon, now!

May 11, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Evelyn

Even if Obama is bi, so what? It's you intolerant bigots who insist everyone be just like you that are the problem. We should be proud of our president for being inclusive, even in his s@xuality. That gives him a better understanding of all perspectives, and diversity.

BTW, there were other bi presidents, so O is not the first. Have you ever heard of Millar Fillmore? Try doing some research before posting what you know nothing about.

May 11, 2012 at 9:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. bobcat (in a hat) ©

An old sailor was out walking on the dock one day when he met a former ship mate of his. They had not seen each other for many years so they had much to talk about and many old memories to renew. After some time, one said to the other , "If you don't mind my saying so, you don't look very good, you must have experienced some bad luck". "Yes," the other one said, "I have. You see this peg leg? Well, one day I was out on deck and my leg become dangled up in a loose line and it was so badly mangled that they had to take it off at the knee." His friend agreed that was bad luck. The other one continued.

"You see I have a hook for a hand. One day I was out on deck when a shipmate of mine fell overboard. I leaned over as far as I could in a attempt to rescue him and as I extended my hand to him a shark took my hand off."

"My, you really did experience bad luck, the other responded, I see you have a patch over one eye, What happened to your eye?"

"Well, I was out on deck again one day and just as I looked up, a seagull that was flying over , unloaded, and got me right in the eye."

"My, My,(not real sailor talk) did that take your eye out? No, that was the first day I had my hook."

May 11, 2012 at 9:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Makinmelaugh

Too funny...almost as funny as the bible thumpin' town criers shouting 'The sky is falling! The sky is falling!'

May 11, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

Nah, but I wouldn't have said no to the invitation....

Haversham, you •would• know all about the underside of rocks, wouldn't you?

May 11, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini, D.D. ©™

Obama and Clooney are an item?
    That's ridiculous.
    Since I was eighteen, people have been telling me that straight superstars and presidents were gay.
    Mrs. John F. Kennedy laughingly related to three famous and gay White House guests that people said that the President was gay and that she was a lesbian.,
    Some is wishful thinking, and some is just hateful gossip.

May 11, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

Some people will go out of their way to speculate on one's bedroom life to make a point; in this case....there wasn't one.
      Other than to try and further smear the POTUS for supporting something they are against...whatever.
      How about just saying, "I'm not going to votefor Obama"?

Sounds as if someone would love to write gay e r o t i c a, and doesn't know where to start.

May 11, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Suzy

I'm from Chicago and that is not gossip. There's alot of g a y people who know Obama was in that club. There are no pictures I know of, but the guys he was friendly with, Donald Young and Larry Sinclair, are dead now.

Why have none of Obama's ex girlfriends been found? He admitted he made up his girlfriend in his book.

Just saying ... it wouldn't matter to me if he was g a y. I vote for him.

May 11, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

i like it when they lean into each other face...so close...staring in each other eyes...george's eyes squints...obama smiles...and then they whisper sweet nothings into each other ears...until the flashes of lights and the questions distracts...they put their manhood back on to finish the press conference... !

May 11, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Knew it.

May 11, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

know whaaaaat...girl dontcha kno' they got laws against stalking???

May 11, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

No doubt that some charges have been pressed against you, Pat.

May 11, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

if it ain't bruce willis in a bikini...i ain't stalkinnit...

May 11, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

Good lord, what religion teaches people to mean and hateful? Sounds like one to stay clear of, for sure! But after listening to the 3 bible thumpin stooges on these blogs daily im not amazed at how many athiests there are! Practise what you preach!

May 11, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • E.B.

The ones who "act" the most pious are the most spiteful, morally bankrupt people alive....calling people out on their beliefs by insults, attempting to be funny...shameful!

May 11, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@chrissy:
      The religion of hypocrisy...evidenced by this blog.

May 11, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Again...

So what? Whoopee! Bush is bi, Obama is bi..what does it matter? If y'all don't want tovote for him, DON'T VOTE FOR HIM!
    Psssst....rumor has it that there are no pictures because it didn't happen....double duhhh mb azz...

May 11, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply