Shoe thrown at Norway mass killer during trial
Norwegian killer Anders Behring Breivik is escorted out of court by police after Friday's shoe-throwing incident in Oslo.
May 11th, 2012

Shoe thrown at Norway mass killer during trial

The trial of admitted Norway mass killer Anders Behring Breivik was disrupted Friday when a brother of one of the 77 people killed in last summer's massacre threw a shoe at the defendant.

"You killed my brother. Go to hell! Go to hell," the spectator yelled as he threw the shoe, which missed Breivik but hit one of his defense lawyers, Vibeke Hein Baera, who was sitting closest to the courtroom spectators, according to a report from Views and News from Norway.

"If someone wants to throw something at me, do it at me while I'm entering or leaving, and not at my lawyer," Breivik said, according to a report from  BBC News.

Police escorted the thrower, who was not identified, from the courtroom, but his actions were greeted by applause and shouts of "Bravo!" by others spectators, reports said.

Views and News, citing Norway's VG Nett, reported that the shoe thrower lives outside of Norway and had flown into Oslo on Wednesday so he could be at the trial when his brother's autopsy was presented.

Some reports said the shoe thrower was from Iraq, a country where the action is seen as a grave insult because the bottom of shoes are unclean.

Friday's incident occurred as a prosecutor was finishing up a presentation on autopsy reports of  victims shot by Breivik on Utoya Island, where 69 people were killed while attending a Labor Party summer youth camp.

According to the BBC News report, Breivik said in court Friday that during that assault, "Someone threw an object at me and it hit me in the face" in an attempt to stop him. He did not say what the object was.

Defense attorney Baera, who was hit by the shoe Friday, later told Norwegian Broadcasting that as the trial was expected to last at least six more weeks, "I hope we can return to more dignified proceedings,” Views and News reported.

Breivik boasts of being an ultranationalist who killed his victims to fight multiculturalism in Norway.

Norwegians sing to annoy mass killer

Post by:
Filed under: Anders Behring Breivik • Crime • Norway
  1. Viking

It seems that no one in the foreign media has discovered that the shoe thrower is from Iraq. They have a tradition for throwing shoes at others. A norwegian would never have shown so much emotion in a public space. That would have been outrageous and a great shame. After all, a country shapes you. And we are just as cold as the country we live in. We dont show emotions unless we are drunk or something extreme happens.

May 11, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kam

Well CNN states that the crowd cheered, so they're not the cold unfeeling robots you're painting them out to be. And they didn't seem to see it as a "great shame">

May 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • D

So your proud to be emotionless beings? Isn't emotion what makes us human? Crying, laughing, getting angry...suppressing emotions just because you are in public is no way to live your life, if you feel a certain way you should express that, and no one should be able to patronize you for expressing the way you feel, as long as you express yourself in a healthy, non-violent way that abides by the rules and norms of society. This man clearly showed that he is not capable of living in normal society and should be killed so that he can not spread his message of hate, and so the relatives of the victims can have some closure and try to put this behind them as much as possible, even though I know you don't endorse the death penalty, and I respect that, I just don't agree with it.

May 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Satan

...or when attacking priests at Lindersvarn!

May 11, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Something extreme ... like a guy mass murdering 69 people, among them your own brother?

May 11, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • hiboy00

Killing 77 people is not extreme?

May 11, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • DDM

Report said shoe-thrower's brother was killed by Breivik. Thought no one from Iraq had a brother in Norway killed by Breivik. Anyone could decide to throw a shoe.

May 11, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daisy

Every culture is different. No one is right or wrong. No sense judging.

May 11, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lene

Talk about yourself Viking, dont put us all in one box... I would of put a bullit in his head myself, if he had killed my brother, and I had a chance. I would go to the ends of the earth and wouldnt be scared of anyone seeing it.

May 11, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Your comment, Viking, makes no sense. Isn't the killing of dozens of innocents an extreme situation? I know a lot of Norwegians. They are warm, welcoming, emotional people. They are human. They are not nearly as cold as you portray them.

May 11, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • NoRadicalsPlease

Than explain that applause and cheers of Bravo from the rest of the people, which is a showing of emotion?

May 11, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Walker

Sounds like you need a hug, Viking.

May 11, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dunlar

Seriously, who throws a shoe? – Austin Powers

May 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • meemee

"Shoe throwing gained international attention in 2008 when an Iraqi reporter threw a shoe at then-U.S. President George Bush during a news conference in Baghdad."

Now we know, Austin. Judged by the company one keeps! Good journalism there, CNN!

May 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • blah9999

you throw like a woman

May 11, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOBSTER

if he had stepped in dog crap he might have got lucky and hit the monster

May 11, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Scottish Mama

@viking- I disagree, just look at the blogs. Are you feeling okay? Passion, compassion, anger, disappointment and all sorts of feelings come from the fingertips of many.

May 11, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. hecep

The shoe struck a lawyer? That's okay.

May 11, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spidey-Man

The shoe struck His lawyer... That's okay!

May 11, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. BOMBO ©

One thing I always wondered about the shoe throwing thing. Do you take off a shoe that you are wearing and throw it, or bring along an extra shoe from home? Because if you throw the shoe you are wearing, you have to walk home through gravel, broken glass etc in your socks. I think I would save my old smelly worn shoes from previous years, and throw those at people if I lived in a shoe throwing country.

May 11, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • meemee

Since Norway is becoming a shoe throwing country, this is good advice to prevent so many frozen feet.

May 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • hiboy00

I agree. You are very well thought out.

May 11, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmm♛

lol

May 11, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BOMBO ©

I went to a party once when I was about 18, and came home with a black eye. My Mom thought I got in a fight. I told her exactly what happened, one of my friends was putting on shoes at the entrance when we were getting ready to leave, and then he realized he was putting on the wrong shoes. He stood up and kicked one off, and it hit me in the face. Purely accidental. She didn't believe me.

May 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • meemee

He was insulting you! You should have killed him for such an insult!

May 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

Being an 18 year old Canadian, I did not understand the significance of the insult. Perhaps if I was a 45 year old Arab, I would have known better.

May 11, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Really?

I don't usually say this but in this case regardless of sanity ....Hand him over to the people and get it over... justice will be best served and other ultra wingers will see what a liberal mob is like.

May 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Daddy Bear

the shoe would of been nice if it was from james bond, on impact it explodes and bags the crazy norwegians head and metal claws come out in all directions from inside the unremoveable bag which not only suffocates him slowly but repeatedly gouges holes in and around his face, eyes and head, while visions of happy children are played in front of him, awwwwwww, whatta joy that would be to see him groveling for his life and he could not do anything to help himself, mmmmmmmmmm, nice!

May 11, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Scottish Mama

@BOMBO-Since this is the only time I will ever be able to tell this story. I was up the block and a boy kicked off his shoe. And since we went to a catholic school he had the horseshoe cleat taps on them, I looked up and bam it hit me in the chin. I went home and my dad said put a butterfly on it. My mom said she needs to go to the hosp. I had to get 21 sti–tches inside and out. The shoes metal had pierced and hit my teeth on my chin and went all the way thru. Thanks Mom. Happy Mothers Day.

May 11, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. phearis

This is the kind of person that needs to be slowly tortured to death. Cut a small part off and let him heal. Then cut another small part off and let him heal, Then another, and another, and another. If done right, it might take him 3 or 4 years to die.

May 11, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesus Is Lord

It will be like that for you and everyone like you when you enter into hell. Except, it won't be 3 or 4 years – it's forever.

Jesus said that unless we forgive EVERYONE – He will not forgive us.

May 11, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

BOMBO©, Scottish Mama:
    Ouch!
    I swear, a Dad's remedy is •always• a butterfly bandage...my daughter fell one time and bit thru her lip; Grandpa tried to make one out of duct tape!
    True story, God rest his soul!

May 11, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@banasy-lol- One year we took the kids on a out west vacation. Going thru the mountains in Colorado at 3 in the morning the winshield wiper broke. Guess what my husband fixed it with. You guessed it DUCT tape. Lasted the whole 2 weeks.lol

May 11, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. magneticink

wing tip or square toe?

May 11, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. i love shoes

that poor shoe. :(

May 11, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. cpc65

I'm going to start a class for throwing shoes the right way. Missing Bush was understandable as he was a politician and therefore used to ducking and dodging, but they should have nailed this crazy Norwegian killer. And no throwing loafers or the like, steel-toe work boots or 6" stiletto heels only!

May 11, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • cpc65

Meant that to say 9" heels. My fingers are too big.

May 11, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ComeBreakMe

Just a shoe? If some lunatic killed one of my brothers, I would hunt him to the ends of the earth. No matter who are what stood in my way, I would find this tool, and end him slowly and painfully.

May 11, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |