Open thread: Same-sex marriage and your life
May 12th, 2012

Open thread: Same-sex marriage and your life

This week, President Obama announced his personal support for same-sex marriage. The endorsement came a day after North Carolina voters passed a constitutional amendment that bans gay marriage in their state.

So, we want to know - what does Obama's announcement mean to you? Will it make any difference in your life?

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Same-sex marriage • U.S.
soundoff (1,704 Responses)
  1. New Englander

In my life? No. I've always been in favor of the legalization of gay marriage.
    In my voting? Yes. I was going to skip voting this year for the first time ever but now I will vote for Obama and Biden specifically because I honor their bravery in coming out for this issue. And because I think Hillary will forgive me :)

May 14, 2012 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  2. trumander

If it dosnt affect my family and I why should i even bother to care. Everyones in the pursuit of happiness who am i to tell another human being what they can and cannot do. Plus i dont think any single person living on this earth has the right to judge anybody. if religion is the problem then let me put it this way. we are all sinners and all sins in the eyes of god are equal. nobody is right or wrong. if loving another man makes someone happy than so be it

May 14, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • the irony

just because you're happy, a many a serial killers were happy people when they were killing, doesn't make it right.
      and if the religious God you mention is any type of a judgmental God, then obviously everyone isn't equal... the children are equal, after that you're on your own, you don't get to read out of your neighbors life story standing at the gate with St Peter,
      Equality breeds complacency,but everyone from the school system up to the supreme court brandishes equality as a shield for being indecisive and keeping things easy. Who cares, its equal, its OK, no matter the evidence isn't weighed in or the reality of the issue. Sheep scream equality, and they all get slaughtered.

May 15, 2012 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. Pookah

It makes no difference in my life but I have friends for whom it could have made a real difference. My friend lost his partner of 15 years to pancreatic cancer a few years ago. If they had been able to marry and cover the partner under my friend's health insurance, he would have sought medical help sooner and potentially could have saved or at least extended his life. As it was, without health insurance he waited until it really was an emergency to go to the ER and by that time there was nothing that could be done. He died 5 weeks after being diagnosed. Gay couples deserve the same rights and privileges the rest of us enjoy. It won't lead to marrying children or animals because 'consenting adults' is key and neither can consent. As to polygamy, who cares? I seriously doubt there are that many people who would actually consent to polygamy but it they want to it still would not affect me.

May 14, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

May 15, 2012 at 4:55 am | Report abuse |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

FINALLY SOMEONE WITH SOME SENSE IN THE WORLD. Tired of all the bi.ble thu.mping hy.pocr.ites with their God complex bi.got remarks of why it's wrong. I am baffled that people who would SEEM to be "Normal" and "Intelligent" in average life CAN NOT understand the meaning of STATE LAW and RELIGIOUS LAW. The State Laws are to be decided WITHOUT the interference of Religious Law.

May 15, 2012 at 4:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar The Chorizo Champ Of Chihuahua

I can tell you one thing, it's doesn't affect my life or anyone else's. Not really worried about it. But I don't see anything wrong with marrying anybody under 18. It used to happen all the time. They were more progressive back then.

May 14, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. John

It no longer affects me as I am an American who has lived in Europe for many years and married his gay partner. It is just so embarrassing, however, that America has not yet adopted gay marriage. For a country who that pretends to be a champion of human rights, it is really on the bottom of the list.

May 14, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. IowaHawks02

My parents have been married for over 35 years, my grandparents for over 60 years and live in the state of Iowa. A year ago, Iowa legalized gay marriage and a funny thing happened....my parents and grandparents are still married. Contrary to some individual's beliefs, their marriage did not fall apart, nor did their love for each other or their family diminish.

May 14, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Enrique

I am a happily gay married man of close to 5 years now. YES gay people are capable of loving other people including each other. YES gays and lesbians are capable of living and having a stable family life. And YES we HAVE THE RIGHT TO express OUR (AMERICAN) RIGHTS and should be allowed to get married. Oh and by the way, when we DO marry it is NOT a "gay marriage." Its a marriage. Period. STOP THE HATE AND MOVE FORWARD WITH COMPASSION AND HOPE.

May 14, 2012 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

what's funny to me is these people who are against this really think that the Traditional Structure of family is some cherished thing. But these some people who preach their Bib.le Quotes forget that the "REAL WORLD" your own Christian Values sees HIGH DIVORCE rates each year from these so-called religious people. How many fatherless households are created everyday.
      SMH they worrying about something that is starting to look more and more each day nothing like their "traditional nuclear family" structure.

May 15, 2012 at 5:08 am | Report abuse |
  8. alltrust@hotmail.com

gay marriage is completely wrong

May 14, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

so is fatherless households but they exist in HIGH numbers and I don't see people like you getting all bent out of shape over it.

May 15, 2012 at 5:10 am | Report abuse |
  9. alltrust@hotmail.com

dear brothers and sisters in humanity,gay marriage is absolutely wrong and should not be happening. Did you ever see a gay marriage in another species than human beings, in animals for example. We are going to pay a very heavy price for this very big mistake.

May 14, 2012 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

first off HUMANS are the only ones who MARRY.

Second, in the animal kingdom, there are MANY species that engage in gay relations and is VERY NORMAL.

Apparently you don't watch Animal Planet

May 15, 2012 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
  10. alltrust@hotmail.com

dear brothers and sisters in humanity,gay marriage is a disastef and should not be happening. Did you ever see a gay marriage in another species than human beings, in animals for example. We are going to pay a very heavy price for this very big mistake.

May 14, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. alltrust@hotmail.com

I complletely oppose gay marriage because it has a very bad consequences that will not appear right away but in future.

May 14, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

well that's nice since you know EVERYTHING about the topic. Do tell of your experience growing up in a gay household and how it was soooooooooooooooooo damaging to your life now

How about those one parent families, children growing up in foster care, orphans all around the world, abused children growing up in drug addicted and/or alcoholic households, and teenage street kids???

Ya growing up with two same gender family households that can actually love and teach their children to love others and be open to see with a hate-less hearts would just DESTROY the planet.

Sorry but the world was messed up long ago.

May 15, 2012 at 5:19 am | Report abuse |
  12. DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

@ Earl

The word "covenant" is a s.o.l.e.m.n. agreement to en.gag.e in or refrain from a specified action. It is commonly found in re.lig.ious con.tex.ts, where it refers to sa.cre.d agreements between a g.o.d. and human beings. NOT BETWEEN A MAN AND A WOMAN SORRY.

I think the word you are looking for is The S.a.n.c.t.it.y. of Marri.age (E.x.o.d.u.s. 20:14)

May 15, 2012 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  13. Chris

It doesn't affect anyone except the gay couples who want the same rights and respect as all others are shown. Anyone who claims anything else is really just a bigot using an old book to disguise their own failure to evolve and be a progressive member of society today. It is such an embarassment to mankind that this issue is STILL going on. Shame on all of you who are against gay marriage for your own personal biggoted reasons (dont know if biggoted is a word, but what the hell)

May 15, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  14. Truth

If Gay is Bad then God is Not Perfect! We are born Gay as a child is born with Blue Eyes. If God created everything then god cerated Gay People not to Give You The Right To Hate but the Opertunity To Except and Love All Things God Created. The Bible was written and rewritten my man to serve man and his desire to control others.
    What burns me is people saying it's a choice! How would they know are they Gay? They must be deep down because they made the Choice to be Stright.
    Under Gods Eyes All People Are Equal. Remember our country was founded that all Men are Crated Equal. It's time for this Country to do what is right Equality For All and leave the hatred in the Church where it belongs. Man created Religen out of fear and to justify the right to hate and control others.

May 15, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |