Open thread: Same-sex marriage and your life
May 12th, 2012

Open thread: Same-sex marriage and your life

This week, President Obama announced his personal support for same-sex marriage. The endorsement came a day after North Carolina voters passed a constitutional amendment that bans gay marriage in their state.

So, we want to know - what does Obama's announcement mean to you? Will it make any difference in your life?

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Same-sex marriage • U.S.
soundoff (1,704 Responses)
  1. Angie

Marriage is a personal and sometimes religious concern–not a governmental or legislative one. Tea/Republicans want smaller government , less government telling you what to do–except in cases like marriage. The Grand Ole Party of Hypocrisy!

May 12, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • rp

Wrong. Marriage is such a critical piece of the foundation of society that virtually every society that has ever existed has celebrated it, worshiped it, AND regulated it in some way. That will never change. Also what will never change is the fact that one man and one woman are required by nature to create a natural born child. The minute we start pretending that fact doesn't matter and doesn't deserve special protection and recognition in our society, our society is doomed to decay and be replaced by one that is more attached to the truth.

May 12, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Edwin

How is this announcement going to affect me? Not much, really. My sister is in a relationship with a woman, but they're not about to get married: for one thing, their state banned it; for another, they're not sure they WANT to get married even if they could.

I know some gay, lesbian and bi people, but I my state currently bans gay marriage, so it won't affect them. Maybe if gives some people hope for the future, but it doesn't really do anything now. I guess personally I like the president better because of it, but my life doesn't revolve around politics. It revolves around family.

May 12, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. David

"Giving someone else equal rights does not infringe or take away rights from you. It just makes it illegal to enforce your prejudice and hate. It's that simple."

May 12, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • reasonablebe

Exactly. Yet, somehow the right wing has convinced people that they can assert they are more equal (kind of like Orwell's Animal Farm or 1984) by claiming their lives are threatened? It's more like saying I want to treat these people as either 2d class or non-people because they are different than I am– often called bigotry– but since that is no longer acceptable they had to find a new tack to accomplish the same result....

Well, my group finds 'special underwear' repulsive, so can I stop you from wearing it? Can I claim the world is flat? Oh wait, that's already been done.... how about the idea that sending rockets into space will cause all the air to leak and leave earth? Oh, wait, that was in the 60's and 80's and since rockets have been sent and we can still breathe, I guess it's a dooms day prediction that has missed it's mark (big surprise)... but who cares, why let facts and evidence stand in the way of wanna believe beliefs- yes, society will collapse in catastrophe when the races and/or religion mix, right?

Good thing we had people and politicians willing to lead, rather than follow populist claims... as they should do now. The noisy right wing and extremist religious zeal should not rule and prevent this country from doing what it is based upon, law and justice and equality and recognition of equality of all people in the eyes of the law.... or we can be like those countries in the middle east where a different belief is grounds for imprisonment or death.

May 12, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Alain

What do I care if two guys or two women want to be happy together? I love that Obama goes against religion for what is right. Everyone deserves hapiness.

May 12, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Not again

He goes against a religion that he states he is a part of. Of course if he was he would follow the teachings of that religion. Its pretty obvous that he is not part of the christian religion which makes him fake and a LIAR.

May 12, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. hawaiiduude

Since gays can marry I should be able to marry a 13 year old. Who is to tell me I can't? She has a period already for over a year so biologically she is able and it has been customary for millennia for many cultures and societies. It's only recently that society has said it's taboo but the same society also said gay marriage was taboo. So where do we draw the line and who are the line drawers? Society? When will the debauchery and perversion of morality end?

People say oh that's too young to marry. Who says? Society? The public at large? Morality police? The same people who are opposed to gay marriage?? Hypocrisy. Double standard.

May 12, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fox

The difference is that a gay marriage would be between two consenting adults who have chosen to spend the rest of their lives together. A 13 year old girl cannot consent to be married, and in fact, traditionally, young girls were arranged in marriages- it was not something they chose.

It's an issue because being married in America affords couples separate rights from those who are not married. You might find it wrong, but making gay marriage legal would have no effect on you, I guarantee it. But it would mean a lot to thousands of couples across the country who've been committed for the majority of their lives to someone who they still do not have the freedom to marry.

It might be hard for you to understand that, based on your beliefs, but I'd urge you to think about it and try and find some acceptance- because loving and being compassionate is what I think most humans rightly strive for.

May 12, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Spouse A

Personally, I would like my marriage license to read BRIDE and GROOM, not Spouse A and Spouse B.

May 12, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. carol

Everyone wants few government regulations. wrong. This is not an issue. They have the same rights as anyone. Remember when Copernicus was under house arrest for saying the earth was round, when women could not owe property, when blacks and women were propery. People are people with theright to happeness useless it harms someone. Read John Adams by McCulluogh and Blood and Thunder about the early southwest, moral minority about our founding fathers. Morality is when you love others not when you beat them up.

May 12, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Julio

I must say I love that comment, that person probably does live in a trailer somewhere and eating squirrels that he runs over hahaha. But hey if thats what he likes great! You do you and let other people do what they want to do, NOBODY has the right to say who gets to be married or not. This is 2012 people, we have a black president, God bless America for the Diversity it's known for. Soon everybody will have the right to marry whoever they want to, if others don't like it... TOO BAD, get a hobbie or something Dang what is it to you? Oh and I have to bring up that comment " If you flame up so bad that no real women want you and all you can get is another flamer then go for it" So ignorant!!! I'm a man, women want me but you know what I don't want them I like man like myself. Stereotyping is so last millenium

May 12, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. briguysigh

My dog is my best friend and i love him. Can i marry my dog?? I want to marry my dog and have the same benefits as typical married couples do. If you say i cannot then you must hate dogs and possibly all animals.

May 12, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hardtobelieve

Wow....hard to beleive that you even took the time to post that briliant thought! Folks, how do we argue this? Case closed...his point cannot be argued.....unless his dog say no to his romantic proposal!

May 12, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tony

What struck me when I saw the first photos of the earlier gay weddings in SF, was how happy all those people had been made by the opportunity. It seems to me that churches just selfishly want to stay the only ones who can dole out limited happiness, along with their usual guilt complexes, to ensure ongoing obedience and recruiting. These new fair rights (and rites) cut out those middlemen.

May 12, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Compassion

Contrary to the confused babbling of religious zealots, belief in the supernatural (religion) does not produce morality. Being gay is not a product of the absence of morality. Discussion of controversial topics is healthy, but more productive when arguments are based on science (the emotionless, objective observation of the world we live in) rather than bigotry (intolerance based on fear and ignorance, justified by the utterances of those who lived thousands of years ago). Compassion is demonstrated by those who are not gay, those who may not understand (because they are straight), but who are nonetheless accepting and tolerant of those who are different from themselves. Bigotry masked by religion is reflection of ego (spiritual materialism), not spirituality.

May 12, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

show me proof of gay marriage anywhere at anytime in the history of mankind (other than the last 5 years) it doesn't exist, wonder why? because gay marriage doesn't produce babies and babies happen to make the species survive. now we certainly don't need any babies as we have enough people on the planet however the society as a whole operates on a certain structure, a social structure and you don't change that structure for the few when the overwhelming majority doesn't want to. Equal protection under the law dictates people have the same "god given" rights.. all people, marriage is NOT a god given right, it is a legal contract that build social structure. gay person can have every single legal right as any other American if they do their homework.... after that its all about the label and that would be a dumb debate.

May 12, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Giant Bushy Mustache

I am proud to be gay and not straight. I'm also a cowboy with a ranch here in Colorado. I'm in a commited relationship with another man who I would like to legally marry. Stop steping on my equal rights! Stop concentrating on what goes on in my bedroom! Keep your religion to yourself! Got it!

May 12, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • clarke

thank you.

May 12, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • sammyg

@Giant Bushy Mustache Your story isn't even REMOTELY believable. Successful trolls need better stories.

May 12, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

@sammyg

better comebacks are needed from you for future postings
      that one sucked

May 13, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  13. Luka

"and this separation from the church."
    ......
    ..............
    What year was the US's separation from the church, again?

May 12, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jaws1

I am opposed to gay marriage. A family should consist of man & one women and child/children.

May 12, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really...

So... because you don't like it, that means you would make a law to restrict people who love each other from getting the over 1,100 federally mandated rights the United States of America offers married couples. Just because you don't believe it doesn't mean you should make a law against it, it's called keep your beliefs to yourself and don't force them on others. That's what all these people are doing. Think about it. How are you being a true citizen of this country if you are restricting civil rights and equality to ALL?

May 12, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • clarke

Well don't forget the white picket fence.

May 12, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

well that's nice but other's beg to differ on that opinion. You keep yours the way you like it and the pro-gays will keep theres

Agreed?

May 13, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  15. kah

The statement that gay people were abused as a child is so totally wrong. There are plenty of us out there that are gay and were never abused. That is just an ignorant statement!!

May 12, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |