Open thread: Same-sex marriage and your life
May 12th, 2012

Open thread: Same-sex marriage and your life

This week, President Obama announced his personal support for same-sex marriage. The endorsement came a day after North Carolina voters passed a constitutional amendment that bans gay marriage in their state.

So, we want to know - what does Obama's announcement mean to you? Will it make any difference in your life?

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Same-sex marriage • U.S.
soundoff (1,704 Responses)
  1. Jim Hahn

Where are you getting your "facts". What you state is not true by any stretch of a twisted imagination.

May 12, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. William

Look folks, the bible is a book...is a book written by men...who are fallible...who start wars...who push agendas...which are personal.

Silly boi, don't even ask me to believe that in 2000, or however many years, the thousands of translations of a book hasn't changed the words around a little.

What moment was it exactly that someone ran into the publisher and said HOLD THE PRESSES, I am beginning to have feelings for my best friend. We better say something about that, just to be safe. Put it in anywhere in the middle of all those other words.

Finally, did I have a "choice" about being male or female also? Or was that, oh I don't know, decided in the womb of my mother?!

May 12, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kandric

Please have proof before you talk. That's a load of hooey and you know it.

May 12, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. itwasntme904

On the wrong side of what the american people want again Obama! Apparently, you and the gays are deaf!

May 12, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. scott

i am not an expert on marriage. i got divorced once and my 2nd fiance passed away before we could get married..maybe a gay couple will do it right, idk, but i dont see the problem in allowing gays to even try. that is all they are asking for, is to do it legally. they arent asking for money...let gays marry

May 12, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lou

Who cares? Really. Two people want to get marry good for their love. I don't care. Let them. And then we can onto real issues.

May 12, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mikewj

How does someone who's gay wanting to marry hurt those who oppose it??

May 12, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

it pulls down the moral values of your country.....what next ? a farmer who wants rights to marry his animals?

May 12, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

it bruises their egos

May 13, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lester Bangs

Let them marry. I couldn't care less what those pervs do. But be sure that I will encourage my sons, nephews and their friends to bully any fairy on their baseball team, scouts or church group....at least until they leave. If our schools allow one in to teach any of my children, I will do whatever is necessary to undermine them and make them leave. We cannot be forced to live with them or accept them as normal. I don't care what the president or our supreme court says. I have a higher calling.

May 12, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian mom of 3 boys

Would your god tell you to bully and berate other human beings simply because they think differently than you? My god teaches love, kindness and respect to all people. I will pray for you in hopes that the hate in your heart will be replaced by love and tolerance.

May 12, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. joe l.

Don't like gay marriage? Don't get gay married...

May 12, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. upstatenyman

That is the stupidest comment I have ever read. Educate yourself!

May 12, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. skinstidecubsfan

the forefathers said to keep church and state seperate,why we can't do that is beyond me! we have athesists in this country that can practice their beliefs without problems,why should gay people not be able to get married and live their lives in their way,not the way the church,government,or other citizens dictate to them on how they can and can't live?

May 12, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Peggy

Gay civil unions offer people equal rights to married unions. Those that don't can be changed legally. So why the insistence on being called MARRIED??? Marriage for centuries has meant more than love and bearing children. It is a spiritual commitment in solidarity with other married couples and is respected as such. No government or minority group has the right to redefine it. To each his/her own.

May 12, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

Civil unions are not worth the paper they are written on. No real legal value. And PLEASE STOP IT with all the marriage is this and that because it's been around for a million years. Let's get this straight for once. This so-called system you speak of has been broken for a long time. Re-defining it was done long before Gays asked for legal rights to it. And another thing....SPIRITUAL CONNECTIONS are referred to be "Matrimonial" NOT "Marriage". Don't confuse the two.

May 13, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Peter

I'm so sick of this issue. If we as Americans had not surrendered our right to determine who we can and can't marry to the state, we wouldn't be wasting so much time trying to convince each other that this or that set of morals needs to be codified into law.

May 12, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. g.r.r.

I have to say that I think that legalizing gay 'marriage' is the wrong way. Marriage is a religious concept. Instead, we should do civil unions for ALL, and have any religious marriage require a civil union license if they want the legal recognition.

May 12, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ronnie Harper

All of you don't know that marriage was conjured up by the patriarchy in order to gain property rights over women, and instead try to mix your cult-like fanatacism for 1st century gods into a question about civil rights. Just like your parents and grandparents did with black people's civil rights in the 50's. Bigots all of you, but no matter because this is one issue you will lose, come whatever is needed.

May 12, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stan

YES! I have thought for a long time that this would be the appropriate solution. Have the state-sanctioned legal union in place with complete benefits that currently vest with marriage (including federal benefits). This is the 'city hall' wedding. Then anyone that wants to have a religious ceremony in the faith of their choice (or not) can do whatever they wish. But no religious ceremony would create the legal contrac by itselft, that would require the marriage license provided by the state (just as it is now).

May 12, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

I agree with you guys. Let the religious ones have their "matrimonial" ceremony rights and have the State have the legal ties. Separate the two. Fix what was obviously broken to begin with. Should have separate the two from the beginning. Time to make it right.

May 13, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ruspanic

No, Obama's announcement does not affect me at all. I already knew he was for gay marriage. His claim that his views were evolving was probably made for political reasons, so that he would appear more centrist.
    Though I agree with Obama on gay marriage and am interested in the issue, it is not important or urgent enough to significantly impact who I will vote for.

May 12, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |