Open thread: Same-sex marriage and your life
May 12th, 2012

Open thread: Same-sex marriage and your life

This week, President Obama announced his personal support for same-sex marriage. The endorsement came a day after North Carolina voters passed a constitutional amendment that bans gay marriage in their state.

So, we want to know - what does Obama's announcement mean to you? Will it make any difference in your life?

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Same-sex marriage • U.S.
soundoff (1,704 Responses)
  1. Vera

I'm a strait female who has been married twice. My longest marriage lasted 12 years. I have a relative who is gay who has been with his partner for 25 years. I find it inconceivable that these guys are denied rights that I have taken for granted. I hope that the tide is turning for them and for all gay couples.

May 12, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. JT

If you have a sound, logical reason for reducing the rights and freedoms of American citizens that happen to be gay; a reason that's not based on your own, personal religious beliefs - which no one is subject to unless they choose to be part of your club - then let's hear it. I won't hold my breath while I wait.

May 12, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • antigay

@JT Again, freedom is not absolute, that is what we call anarchy. if gay marriage is allowed it opens pandoras box to all s3xual deviancy

May 12, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

That is neither sound nor logical. In fact I cannot even justifiably call it reasoning of any kind. Rather, your response is an expression of fear; fear borne of your own personal beliefs regarding what is "good" and "moral". I remind you that your personal beliefs are just that. No one else is subject to them. Not in this country, according to the actual law of the land.

May 12, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • antigay

@ JT so what do you use as a gauge for right and wrong, or for s3xual deviancy? please tell me

May 12, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

@antigay

seeing gay relationships as the key to Pandora's box of s3xual deviancy?????? really?

I think the real problem here MS/MR AntiGay is that maybe you need more s3xual deviancy in your life and maybe you would stop giving your opinion on other peoples private moments.

May 13, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  3. antigay

@ks freedom can not be absolute..... wecall that anarchy

May 12, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Regularjoe

I was on the fence on this issue. I'm a believer in God but I haven't failed to notice that God gives us the free will to choose what to do, how to act and how to live with the hand we're dealt in life. Since God gives us this self determination, who am I to infringe upon the liberty of another as long as they aren't causing me harm? The taking of offense is a choice I make for myself. I know for me personally the idea of Gay marriage is repugnant but I am a straight man. I only can say what is right or wrong for myself. I haven't walked in a gay person's shoes and I have no idea what they have gone through and what they must deal with. I have no idea if it's a choice they made or if it was something they were born with. The idea that the GOP is going to make this a campaign issue is also repugnant to me when the real issues that should concern us is how does our nation maintain solvency.

May 12, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom

@Regularjoe: Satan also believes in God. Simply believing in God does not make you especially unique. It takes more than that.

May 12, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joe

The fact that any of you are debating gay marriage displays americans level of stupidity. This is not about gay marriage- Obama's comments are pure distraction. And look its working we are no longer talking about the economy, the unemployment rate,gas prices, the housing market, the 5 trillion dollar debt Obama has caused. Instead you're talking about Obama's personal fake views on gay marriage- odd that it's at election time and he can't run on his record. If I was part of the gay community i'd be mad that Obama's using my civil rights issue to get votes.

May 12, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • antigay

I am aware this is a distraction however condoning the moral decline of the USA is a big deal as well and cannot be tolerated.

May 12, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • lern2fli

How do you figure that gay's who make up 2% of the population can have an affect on a vote? The fact remains that this is a violation of CIVIL RIGHTS and FREEDOMS that every human is created equal in this country. EVERY ONE IS EQUAL. Also, i do believe SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE exists for a reason. Not everyone in this country is Christian, therefore your Bible is just a book a sect of people in our country follow. FREEDOM OF RELIGION. This should not be a law, did you know that in 31 states in this country you can marry your 1st cousin?? HOW IS THAT OK?

May 12, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

@antigay

when has AMERICA ever had Moral to begin with?

May 13, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  6. tired of the

Being gay will NEVER be considered "normal" and will never be widely accepted. It is abnormal behavior, and quite frankly, its disgusting.

May 12, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • antigay

thank you simple and true! but you and i are biggots, simply because we dont agree.

May 12, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Enoch100

yep

May 12, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

FINALLY a better opinion but still not truth.

Never say never buddy. Maybe to you and in your lifetime, maybe, but NEVER??? I don't think so.

May 13, 2012 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. mikeinsf

I am sick of radical christians trying to impose their sick values on the rest of us. Christian=bigot......

May 12, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • antigay

Mike in SF
      you are a biggot because you dont believe in christ. trying to impose your sick athiesm and selfish self fulfilment on the world.

May 12, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

I think the real problem here is they don't really understand that having an opinion is not the problem. They are just to stupid to know what is.

May 13, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  8. Enoch100

Does OBamacare have special coverage for pink socks?

May 12, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Canadian Beaver

Gay marriage became law in Canada in 2005. The world did not end. Beasts did not come down from the sky to destroy us.
    What it did was to remove the issue from politics and religion – in fact it's an issue that nobody talks about anymore. We have better things to do.

May 12, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. me138

I personally think gays should be able to get married. with that said Obama is a fraud.

May 12, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gem

And, you're a tool - so even...

May 12, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mary

"Your time is limited. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition…" – Steve Jobs

May 12, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Tim

Anti gay....your life must really be worthless. I can only imagine how much time you have spent studying the bible, participating in religious related activities with your church, or cult or whatever you call it... Yes sorry to hear that. Must have been hard for you to branch out growing up. Im sure you found it difficult to make normal friends, that is, outside of your church. Becuase, unfortunately for you, most of the rest of us are not crazy....There is no such thing as god and religion. These are simply ideas that were conjured up because humans are afraid of death. People cannot comprehend the unknown of the afterlife, (if there is one) and are terrified by this notion. This is really the sole purpose of religion, wake up and save your soul before its too late....you....friggin...moron!

May 12, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • jennifer

Get a life. Oh that's right u don't have one. Ot is totally disguising to see men with men and vice versatile.

May 12, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rafael Gutierrez

Tim... I could not have said it better. I know a smart man when I hear one speak! Antigay, do yourself a favor and crawl under that bridge you call home. LOL!

May 12, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • hunter

this issues has nothing to do with religion. it is discusting abnormal behavior and most normal people are sick of hearing about the rights of the pervs.

May 12, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mary

"Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition…" – Steve Jobs

May 12, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom

Sounds all warm and fuzzy, doesn't it? Until you realize that what he's saying is that there is no ultimate authority other than what each individual thinks. I.e., the individual sets himself up as god. Which is surely the height of arrogance.

May 12, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bearclaw69

Just so Richard over at Ethertronics knows, I don't care whether gays marry or not. But they are still biological freaks, and NOTHING will ever change that.

May 12, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. SD

@JT: personal beliefs regarding what is "good" and "moral"? Good and moral are established by your conscience and sustained throughout society. Whether you believe in what a greater society believes in is sometimes irrelevant. It's not everyone definition of right and wrong. I can see that your mind has been corrupted by thinking it is okay for each and every person to accept what THEY think is right and wrong. The world does not work this way and never has. There are rules and whether you choose to accept them is your choice but you have to pay the consequences for not following them.

May 12, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply