Open thread: Same-sex marriage and your life
May 12th, 2012

Open thread: Same-sex marriage and your life

This week, President Obama announced his personal support for same-sex marriage. The endorsement came a day after North Carolina voters passed a constitutional amendment that bans gay marriage in their state.

So, we want to know - what does Obama's announcement mean to you? Will it make any difference in your life?

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Same-sex marriage • U.S.
soundoff (1,704 Responses)
  1. banasy©

On the question, and this question ONLY: how does gay marriage affect your life?

Answer: it doesn't. A gay couple getting married doesn't affect my life any more that a straight couple getting married does.

May 12, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • antigay

@banasy
      the gay life style is a sin much like theft or murder or lying, I guess as long as someone does one of those if it doesnt effect you it must be ok also?

May 12, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

@antigay:
      The question was not about sin I was answering; it was about how marriage, gay or strait, affects my life.
      It doesn't.
      You feel strongly about it; it is evidenced by your username.
      The only marriage that affects my life is my own marriage; that should be no concern of yours, or anyone else's.

May 12, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • noway

Well yes it does, if they cannot have children themselves, their next goal is to adopt to have a family that they cannot do on their own, and spread their form of life style.and yes non gays have their problems but is no excuse for. Either side

May 12, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mikeinsf

@Roscow-AMEN :)))

May 12, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. divejoy

I Judaism gay marriages are denied by Orthodox. Reform Judaism allowed it for about ten years. Consrvative Jews recently allowed it. So most of the Rabbis, conservative and reform will marry gays. Thats probably 90 percent in the US. Eventually only the radically right wing Orthodox won't do it. Its the 21 century WAKE UP. Its only a matter of time.

May 12, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • antigay

@ divejoy, humanity accepting it does not make it right.

May 12, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bob Cole

It's been a man and woman since the beginning of the human race, it takes a male and female to create a child. Even animals know who's who and what's what. What is wrong with us humans ?

May 12, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mikeinsf

I think all these bigots here should be in church now praying for the rest of us. At least they would not be on here spewing hate.

May 12, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rafael Gutierrez

Who is this antigay moron?

May 12, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • antigay

@rafael...
      this antigay moron os someone who adds more to this forum than you name calling is easy debate is not.

May 12, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • antigay

@RAFAEL
      thats what i figured..... incapable of intelligent debate, get mad and take ou ball home with you,
      RUN ALONG LITTLE BOY THE STREET LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!!

May 12, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mikeinsf

@Peter, they can't they get their information from fox news this is the best source of information for bigots and right wing christians

May 12, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • antigay

@MIKE
      maybe you are the biggot, you have no idea of my affiliation there are just as many dems opposed as repubs. explain 30 states with gay marriage bans

May 12, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Iamrightyouarewrong

My PP hurts mommy.

May 12, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. The Giant Troll

I think hot chicks can marry hot chicks. Girl on girl is sweet but guy on guy is gross......

May 12, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • jeff6187

And I think moron-on-moron is disgusting, but I'd never want to curtail your right to do it.

May 12, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mikeinsf

@Antigay, 30 states full of bigots, easy and your one of them

May 12, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • antigay

@ mike got news for you, most of those states swing democratic, you mean your own party is full of biggots, oh thats right you have no affiliation you r a wannabe anarchist. socialist pig!

May 12, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • jkhur

In NC at least it was a najority of a decided minority (something alonmg the lines of 20%) that voted at all.

May 13, 2012 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  11. DanTheMan

I don’t expect that I, or my partner of 30 years, will be able to marry in the United States during our lifetimes. I do appreciate a sitting President standing up for the right thing that being the equal rights of all Americans. Espcially at a time when he could pay a big penalty for doing so. We have not voted as a matter of protest since President Clinton’s first term. We will register and vote this year for President Obama. So, it changed us. It gives us some hope that maybe the next generation may have a chance for a more fair and equitable life. It mean a lot to us. It touched us deeply and personally, and I thank President Obama sincerely.

May 12, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mervel

The historical reason the state is involved in marriage is for the protection and care of children in a legal arrangement between two biological parents who actually marry for a lifetime and raise a family. I would say it is time; given the declining rates of children, given the rampant divorce and cohabitation and multiple re-marriages and now marriage that does not even include a wife or a husband, for the state to totally get out of this business, the concept itself is practically meaningless in the US anyway.

May 12, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Douglas

Gay marriage tells me that I am accepted as an equal in our society – and that is huge to me!

May 12, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Douglas, What you want is to change the meaning of "marriage" to be gender-neutral. It is NOT gender-neutral. If I have to explain the difference to you, I'm wasting my breath.

May 12, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. The Giant Troll

If I was a chick, I would be a lesbian......

May 12, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Peter

God, I'm so happy I live in a country of Goose-stepping fascists.

May 12, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. V. Johnson

Jesus loved everyone – Why are so many fundamental Christians so judgmental? Doesn't seem very Christ-like? I thought our maker was supposed to be our judge?

May 12, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • forgottothink

I agree, that most fundamental Christians shouldn't judge. All of us make mistakes though. This isn't about judging however, it is about redefining America and our values. I think gays should get the same rights or very close to the same in a civil union as straights do in a marriage. I don't think they should be intertwined though.

May 12, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |