Open thread: Same-sex marriage and your life
May 12th, 2012

Open thread: Same-sex marriage and your life

This week, President Obama announced his personal support for same-sex marriage. The endorsement came a day after North Carolina voters passed a constitutional amendment that bans gay marriage in their state.

So, we want to know - what does Obama's announcement mean to you? Will it make any difference in your life?

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Same-sex marriage • U.S.
soundoff (1,704 Responses)
  1. Real Truth

Wanna leave the decision about gay marriage to the churches?

Ask all the children who were molested how that worked out.

May 13, 2012 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  2. truth

Gay people have reprobate minds. They hide behind the approval of public opinion that supports them. Practice that in the middle east.

May 13, 2012 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  3. JoeBob

Christ would not demand Gays be treated as 2nd class citizens.

May 13, 2012 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  4. dd

Yes I'm tired of hearing the majority have spoken . Yes they have all through history until someone speaks up to right the wrong . Women would still not be allowed to vote. Segregation would still be in the south ,slavery for that matter . Governments job is not to decide who we sleep with nor tell women if they can have abortions or not etc. People use their religious beliefs to imprison and stomp on others civil rights . Sometimes the supreme court steps up and does the right thing. One day gays will have equal rights.

May 13, 2012 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
    • OneOfTheLastModerates

Well said. Yours is a voice of reason. Thank you.

May 13, 2012 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
    • PaulB

However, one thing that you must remember. Mans laws do not trump God's laws and mans laws do not decide heaven or hell after death. Only God's laws do. If I had to put a wager on it, I would rather go with God's laws, than risk total isolation from God and end up in hell.

May 13, 2012 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. truth

Gay people came out of closets. What in the world were they doing there the whole time?? Yes they came out of closets and now they need to get in to heaven.

May 13, 2012 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  6. ed_the_honest

No honest person would get married in this stranger society.

May 13, 2012 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. truth

Dont forget that gay people used to live in closets and now they are demmanding their rights.. what a joke

May 13, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. frostiken

Because worrying about what consenting adults are doing behind closed doors is totally important to the future of the country.

No really, these states aren't banning being GAY (though they probably would if they could), they're simply banning gay MARRIAGE. What exactly does that have to do with *anyone* besides those getting married?

It's not as if marriage is very sanctimonious anymore, what with divorce being nearly as popular.

May 13, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. Erik

All I want is legal recognition and rights from the government. Call it a union, partnership, marriage, I don't care. Now, for all those "Christians" out there, I'm a gay male and accept Christ as my savior, which in turn is supposed to make me a "Christian", however, I am more ashamed to be called Christian than I ever would to be called gay. All of the judgment that is passed makes me sick. I pray, and I keep my prayers between myself and God. No one else. I don't have to prove to anyone how Christian I am. I don't have to convince God that I love him. He already knows. Everyone is so foolish, trying to be more Christian than each other. He doesn't care. He cares about how you treat others around you. Love one another!

May 13, 2012 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
    • OneOfTheLastModerates

Keep living a good life and showing respect and love to others. In the end, that's what God really wants.

May 13, 2012 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  10. truth

Living in closets is proven by gay people to be very bad for your mental health. It can twist your mind and do unnatural things.

May 13, 2012 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
    • gaymarriagekilledthedinosaurs

You seem to have a real obsession with closets, do you happen to be in one now? ;)

May 13, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  11. DJ

Then let's outlaw divorce.

May 13, 2012 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
    • DragonSlayer Lights Your Fire

I agree, then these Bi.ble thu.mpers will get their panties in an uproar that THEIR rights are being violated...
      that would be PRICELESS

May 15, 2012 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  12. JoeBob

The real enemies of traditional marriages are divorce, alcohol, drugs and domestic violence.

May 13, 2012 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
    • saneCanadian

And money or the lack of it

May 13, 2012 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
    • DrBoB

Amen.

May 13, 2012 at 3:28 am | Report abuse |
  13. trippinglyonthetongue

The people who oppose marriage equality today are going to look just as ignorant and backward as those who opposed integration fifty years ago.

May 13, 2012 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  14. Stamp Out Redneck Ignorance

General Sherman should have finished the job

May 13, 2012 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  15. Todd

Ok I'm about to blow some minds on this commentary board... I have gay friends, but I don't think it's right for them to be gay. Boom. Hate the sin, not the sinner people. That is what we are taught, and that is what we should live by. I do not support them using the term marriage, but if they were given the rights of a married couple yet united in a civil union that would be perfectly fine with me.

P.S. The term bigotry has been thrown around a lot on here... Perhaps people should look up the definition of a word before butchering it. If you are intolerant of the fact that I do not support gay marriage, you are, by definition, a bigot as well. That will be all.

May 13, 2012 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

Amen

May 13, 2012 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Lenny Pincus

Consider my mind blown, Todd, in a good way. Anyone who points out intolerance is intolerant. Got it, libs. Thank you, Todd.

May 13, 2012 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Norm

Come out of the closet Todd.
      Stop being afraid of your parents.

May 13, 2012 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
    • DrBoB

It cracks me up when bigots say things like this. "I'm not a bigot I just don't think a specific group of people should have the same rights as me because I don't like them." "The bible told me to hate gays and make sure they can't have state santioned relationships becuase Jesus was against happiness and equality." Haters gotta hate I geuss.

May 13, 2012 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |