Open thread: Celebrating Mother's Day
May 13th, 2012

Open thread: Celebrating Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all of the moms out there. The National Retail Federation estimates consumers will spend $18.6 billion on Mother's Day this year, about $152.52 for the average person celebrating the holiday. If you forgot to get something special for Mom, don't worry, you can give her the perfect gift without spending a dime.

What are the best and worst Mother's Day gifts you've received (or given)?

Post by:
Filed under: Mother's Day
  1. dazzle ©

This is good for an early morning laugh faux one but I am still sipping my coffee and will see the real one in a few hours.

May 13, 2012 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  2. dazzle ©

Sweet faux one, she already did.

May 13, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • ♚Mmmmmâ™›

alrighty...sounds like real, coca-cola moment...congratulations...nothin like new buds abudding on the family tree!

May 13, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. dazzle ©

@Kenny- I thought you went to the moon. At 44 you are old enough to be a grandfather.

May 13, 2012 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  4. Steve

Hello Mom,
    Well, I just wanted to wish you a happy mothers day. I certainly did not want to let the day go by without taking a moment to reflect on your motherly love and how much you mean to me.
    I can not imagine what the years would have been like without you. Since the death of Jan back in 1995, I have observed some of the impact such an event has on the life of a child. These thoughts make me thankful that I have you mom. In a world where we too often hear about terrible things people do, you have always been there for us with kind words of wisdom, understanding, and unconditional love.

You are a living testimonial of what a good woman and mother should be. The Bible says; " Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies."
    And now from experience, we all know the truth of that scripture. Now days good is too often overlooked, and a good mother should not be taken for granted.

I will ask, for all to consider, what is the price of a good mother, can it be measured in the heart wrenching cries of a child that has never known a mother? Or in the soft passionate tears shed upon the loss of an elderly mother? It is said that on the battlefield the dieing soldier often cries for his mother. I think that statement pretty much sums up the importance mother holds in the heart of a child.
    And so, on this day mom I want you to know that I love you!

Have a happy mothers day mom.
    Love, Steve.

May 13, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. Scottish Mama

banasy, chrissy, and dazzle, Happy Mother's Day! Have a wonderful day with your families. Love, Scottish

May 13, 2012 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

Happy Mother's Day to you Scottish Mama. Enjoy your day as well.

May 13, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Happy Mother's Day, Scottish!

May 13, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mary

May 13, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Happy Mother's Day Mary!
      (Mary did not mean to exclude did not know you were a mom.)

May 13, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jody

All the presents given to her were the worst. Nothing was ever good enough or appreciated.

May 13, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. Walmex employee

We here in Mexico generally keep our mothers and grandmothers close, very close. In fact, we traditionally live with them their entire lives, especially when they get older. Now, contrast this with the million or so old age homes where USians traditionally send their elderly. Who really is your mother. (Not YOU crystal meth tweeker boy/man. We know why YOU stay at home and take care of mom)

May 13, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  9. yahmez

My son got his Mother a headlight for her truck. Happy Mother's Day!

May 13, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. sickly child

I got my mom a 10% Off coupon from Walgreen's drug store. I'm hoping that the thousand bucks this will save her (US, actually. She's a lifelong welfare mom) will be spent on some decent food.

May 13, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  11. LJ Gibbs

I love you and I miss you Mom.

May 13, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  12. Rick

chia pet

May 13, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

happy Mother's Day to all of my blogging moms, (and those dads who have had to be both, you know who you are!)
    The love you share will come back to you.

Thanks for the phone call, s kel!
    It meant a lot! (((Hugs)))

May 13, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

Momala:
    You are the epitome of dignity and grace, and you have taught me so much...I love you more than you'll ever know
    We'll see you in a while!
    Love,
    Me

May 13, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  15. GOP RIP

an electronic appliance – that you don't use in the kitchen. :-)

May 13, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |