Open thread: Celebrating Mother's Day
May 13th, 2012

Open thread: Celebrating Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all of the moms out there. The National Retail Federation estimates consumers will spend $18.6 billion on Mother's Day this year, about $152.52 for the average person celebrating the holiday. If you forgot to get something special for Mom, don't worry, you can give her the perfect gift without spending a dime.

What are the best and worst Mother's Day gifts you've received (or given)?

Post by:
Filed under: Mother's Day
  1. patrick ©

I would like to wish the mother of my child a Happy Mothers Day. Even though I don't come around this way, I believe the real one posted on here. Maybe for Father's Day you might speak to me again. I will always love you no matter the obstacles I put in the way.

May 13, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Chuck Jasper, Ga.

Nobody receives "free" social security disability. In order to be illegible for SSDI, people have to pay into the system. When you get your facts correct about what goes on in America, come back and try to lay a guilt trip on Americans. Until then,, ...........(I'm sure you can figure out what else I had to say)...................

May 13, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Deborah

The worst Mother's Day was when my Mom, and my sister (with her two kids) were at my house, and my two sisters and I presented my Mom with her presents and cards, then my sister got her presents and cards, and then everyone turned to my husband and daughters (who were just 5 and 8), and they had nothing for me at all. I was beyond humiliated. There was jsut an embarrassed silence from everyone else, and then an "Okay! Shall we get these kids to bed?" from my sister. Worst Mother's Day ever. He never made that mistake again, because he got it in both ears from everyone - I never had to say a word!

May 13, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. saywhat

My felicitations and salute to all mothers out there in this blessed country and around the world. Hope we will on this day remember the mothers in less fortunate places also.
    @ fernace pl accept the best of "Mothers Day". Your spirit must have inspired many others.

May 13, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

To my wife Donna: My wife for 37 years. Mother to our two childen. Thank you for your love and hard work that helped raise our children into wonderful adults. I enjoyed being with you at church today, and taking you out to lunch. I just want you to know "Happy Mothers Day".....

May 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Pete

@Patrick,thumbs up my friend,clean up those little obstacles of yours,then we'll have a party for you,your little one and her mom at your reunion.Take your time ,always think positively ,no matter what you see and hear around you,nothing negetive,always positive.She saw the good in you before and she'll see it again ,with time,it heals all wounds,just have patience.Take care,good luck!!

May 13, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Felix El Gato

How come that butter isn't melting?

May 13, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. @Chuck Jasper

Hogwash. According to the NAACP, FULLY 43% of black Americans sole source of income is welfare. People who have recieved welfare their entire lives never paid a dime into the welfare pot.
    Furthermore, our Social Security Administration simply cannot afford to defend itself from a million lawsuits filed by late-night TV LAWYERS focused on "defending" people whom have had their claims denied. People who wasted their lives on booze and drugs to the point of being unemployable, and now languish at home recieving early SS disabilty pay/rent discounts/food stamps/church food along with free pharmaceuticals. (a similar situation exists with military entytlement fraud)

May 13, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

@ chuck jasper, thank you! I get tired of fighting that battle alone. And for stupid reason people cant or wont diferentiate the diference between SSDI and welfare. Maybe they dont realize WHAT the FICA is that is taken from their paychecks? Who knows!

May 13, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

Aw philip, you know full well the program you are talking about is SSI which is funded by the states and is NOT Social Security! And if you dont you should. If you have a problem with it take it up with YOUR state!

May 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. MysteriaKiito

My first mother's day was the worst. My ex, who was the father of my son, did absolutely nothing for me and expected me to clean and cook just like any other day. Needless to say I'm no longer with him. He could have at least let me have a nap and do the dishes for me!

May 13, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Whew, good thing. You left him because you guys didn't celebrate a holiday. Imagine the horrors if he , *gasp* didn't have enough money for an anniversary present. The horror, the horror... Thank goodness you broke apart your family because of that. You seem like a rational human being, you're not twisted, evil, shallow, home-wrecker.

May 13, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Miss the whole point of Mother's Day, dontcha, there, James?

May 13, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

My son gave me a placque that said, ""Happy Mother's Day, Mom. I love you. I want a Skeletor. I'll let you play with him too." all spelled out with dried alphabet noodles.
    It was hysterical!
    I still have it on my bedroom wall...

May 13, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • saywhat

Indeed @banasy.
      Happy Mothers Day to you.

May 13, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • die die

HAHA!!! how adorable! :)

May 13, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jeff's insanity

Why are you posting that here? Why not just say it to her in person?

May 13, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. About Social Security Fraud

It is real, and costs US more than the Pentagon, who spends about 80% of our entire national defense budget on military ent itlement programs, and must "borrow" funds from our Social Security national treasury just to wage war.
    What is FICA? Lmao. You can't even tell me where your income tax dollars go.

May 13, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

Shame on you philip! That did NOT have to be said on here, just cause you practise that racist language doesnt mean the rest of us care to hear it! And James, shame on you too!

May 13, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |