May 15th, 2012

Norway: Man sets himself alight outside Breivik trial

A man set himself on fire Tuesday outside the court in Norway's capital, Oslo, where Anders Behring Breivik is on trial over terror attacks last summer that killed 77 people.

"We don't know much about his motives, but he set himself alight outside the courthouse. Police were quick to put the fire out and he has now been taken to hospital," Unni Groendal, head of press for Oslo police, told CNN.

The man is still alive, according to police. He did not try to force his way through the cordon as some reports have suggested, police said.

Norwegian daily newspaper VG reported that several court house employees ran out with water bottles to pour water over the man.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Norway
  1. PEDO BEAR

He's a little early for the 2012 San Diego Comicon. Though, that is the best costume I have ever seen for Jonathan Lowell Spencer!

May 15, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  2. Andreas Moser

Norwegians.

May 15, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
    • PEDO BEAR

They're so silly.

May 15, 2012 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

I suspect he was so distraught over losing loved ones he felt he had nothing left to live for. And wanted Breivik to feel that, but Breivik has no remorse!

May 15, 2012 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  4. saywhat

Good morning all.
    I tend to agree with@chrissy. Losing loved ones and hope of justice being served. Who knows what he was going thru.
    As for that terrorist Breivik, he is prepared to repeat the 'performance' once out.

May 15, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Martin

what do I need for an emergency home saivrvul kit for COLD weather?I just moved up to the mountains and have already lost power 2x due to bad weather! Im not use to this kind of weather and the locals all tell me that I need to have a emergency kit for home for when the real bad weather comes in for winter! So a little help please ?

July 11, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Phil Spectre

That's awesome!

May 15, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • PEDO BEAR

He went down in a blaze of glory!

May 15, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  6. PEDO BEAR

I would call him one hot tomale' but he's not of Mexican or Spanish decent. So, I will resort to calling him one hot tyrkisk peber.

May 15, 2012 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mary

I can only come to the same conclusion as chrissy and saywhat.
    Good morning to you as well saywhat. 🙂

May 15, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  8. fernace

Since I still have family in Norway, this whole episode has "hit home," in many ways! I agree w/chrissy, but hopefully we'll get updates about the mans motives & medical status! I also agree w/saywhat that Breivik will do it again! He thinks he's on a "holy mission" & nothing will stop him except a lock down facility & some serious meds!!

May 15, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  9. Pete

Wasn't he associated with some underground neo-nazi cult,following his readings of Adolph Hitler and his idiological stances for his supreme race endevours,his mentioning of a race of blond hair ,blue eyed subjects that were bred thru selective gene engineering practises,while he ran rough shod over Europe with his military...That's what this mentally ill persons MO is and he said he'd do it again,if released.Keep this trash locked up,permanently,if possible...

May 15, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

This is perfectly awful...I doubt Breiviak would take any notice; indeed, he seems one of the most self-centered humans I have ever read about.
    I agree with chrissy...

May 15, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mary

Not me above Nice try jacker!

May 15, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Stein

Not likely to be a relative of one of the victims. More likely to be some random nutcase The man stopped by a lawyer office in a nearby office building to drop off some papers where he had written something pretty incoherent about how the local social services people were part of a conspiracy against him , before going out and setting himself on fire. He probably picked the court house because everybody knows that there are plenty of reporters there.

May 15, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Richard in Texas

I am just grateful that an Andrew Breivik has not happened here. Yet.

May 15, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |