May 18th, 2012

Friday's live events

The race to the presidency now turns toward the general election in November.  CNN.com Live is your home for all the latest news and views from the campaign trail.

Today's programming highlights...

9:30 am ET - Terror financing hearing - How are terror groups financing themselves following the 9/11 attacks?  A House homeland security subcommittee discusses the matter.

10:15 am ET - Obama talks food security - President Obama addresses the Symposium on Global Agriculture and Food Security in Washington.  Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will speak to the conference at 4:00 pm ET.

11:00 am ET - Sebelius speaks at commencement - It's a commencement speech that's pitted a university against the local Catholic archdiocese.  Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius speaks to graduates of Georgetown University's Public Policy Institute in Washington.

1:30 pm ET - Romney in New Hampshire - GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney speaks to supporters in Hillsborough, New Hampshire.

7:30 pm ET - Obama welcomes G8 delegates - The global elite will gather at Camp David this weekend for a G8 summit.  President Obama will greet several of the participants tonight.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Elections • On CNN.com today • Politics
  1. dazzle ©

Good Morning Bloggers from NYC. Sorry, I can't do jokes like @bobcat but I've missed you guys.

May 18, 2012 at 7:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. know hunger

As the President greets Mediterranean leaders, he should encourage them to print money as a resolution to their debt crisis.
    Fresh dollars saved the USA from the pain of austerity. Why not have Europe print its way out of trouble as well.
    Look at the success of the United States and the glorious bounty shared by all her people.
    Right in the aftermath of the greatest financial crisis of all time our largest bank was able to make outlandish bets on exotic financial instruments.
    If Obama convinces leaders to print, he will win this fall.

May 18, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • saywhat

@ know hunger
      Your barb stings as it should. Unbeknownst to most of us that is how we have been getting by.Printing notes.

May 18, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

Good morning dazzle ©! We've missed you here!
    Bobcat, too.

@know hunger:
    Why? Are the Mediteerean countries going to vote in the US?
    I sense some tongue-in-cheek in your post...

May 18, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. kellyintulsa

Good Morning dazzle and banasy .

May 18, 2012 at 9:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

good morning, Miss Kelly.
      I hope good news finds its way to you today!

May 18, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  5. President Obama agrees w/Romney

God is real. If you don't believe in God, it is YOU who are ignorant of truth.
    Who would vote for a candidate that called you 'stupid' for denying God exists?

May 18, 2012 at 10:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. World Food Production

Username 'World Food Production' is open for debate. Whom among you microbloggers would care to debate exactly why it is that half of the worlds families live on about 3 or 4 dollars per day.
    @bobcat (in a hat) Now would be a good time for one of your jokes. ty

May 18, 2012 at 10:37 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. mommy, why am i starved? a poem

Mommy? why am i starved?
    we see our diamonds are carved
    Mommy? diamonds are worth food
    but in the ears of that dude

May 18, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. mommy, why am i starved? a poem

"Dude look like a layyeday"-the guy on the new Burger King commercials. I only listened to his music b/c the girls did. I preferred Waylon Jennings and Jessie Colter to a bunch of songs describing the America we have become.

May 18, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. bobcat (in a hat)©

Dr. Smith recently got his doctorate in psychology and his first assignment was to visit the community retirement home for the patient's monthly mental examination.

He sees his first patient and asks him, "Ralph, how much is six times six?" Ralph responds "74." He asks the next resident, "Tim, how much is six times six?" Tom responds, "Thursday." Expecting more of the same, he approaches Randy and asks him, "Randy, how much is six times?" "THIRTY-SIX" replies Randy. "That's right Randy, well done! Now tell me how did you know that answer?" "Oh it was easy... I just subtracted 74 from Thursday!"

Good morning all my friends. I apologize for my absencs, but you would not believe.

May 18, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. bobcat (in a hat)©

Early morning groan time.

Two ropes walk in to a bar, one rope calls the bartender and says "Barkeep, let me get a couple of beers." The bartender says "I'm sorry we dont serve ropes in here."

Frustrated the ropes walk out and, since this was the only bar in town, they thought about it a little while when finally one rope says "I've got an idea." So he gets him self into a bind and frizzles his ends and walks back into the bar and says "Barkeep, can I get a couple of beers."

The barkeep says "Sure, but aren't you those same two ropes that came in here earlier?" The rope answers "Nope, I'm a frayed knot."

May 18, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

@bc (iah) ©:
      Groan.....lol.....

Oh yes, I would believe....life has a way of becoming extremely chaotic in a New York minute...

I'm glad you're beck, though.
      Many have missed your jokes.

May 18, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

S/B 'back', not 'beck'.
      •Facepalm•

May 18, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

Really. The men whom founded our homeland were the downtrodden themselves. They had endured much abuse in Old England, as had others throughout the Brit Empire. However...
    ...there were some very wealthy men among them. The man whom stood-out in stark contrast to Royal Authority...perhaps the wealthiest man of our founders, armed, not just with his money, but armed with the idea that if Royal Authority would just get off our backs, we could all become wealthy and wise, just like him.
    Who was this man? This man was the very first President of US*...the very man who layed the very first building blocks of what would become the greatest nation on earth, ever! George Washing? Are you sh/tting me? I asked my 11th grade HS history teacher, during class a'course. NO!!!
    That man was named John Hansen. And I'm only pointing-out the fact that he was a black man as a conversation starter. :)

May 18, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Philip

Thank's and a tip o' my hat to CNN [moderator] for allowing my last comment to post.
    American History class is in session if anyone cares to learn how it all started. (thx for the jole(s) bc. I'll go read them now)

May 18, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Philip

George was our 6th President. He was only our first President appointed by Congress who were being held at gunpoint by Revolutionary Troops demanding payment for their "Service?"
    Pay us NOW !!! troops demanded of Congress of men shaking in boots teeth chattering. "If you don't pay we will make George King of America" was the threat. "Ok, ok. We will make George President and give you all bank notes worth more than you are" were the wrds/thoughts of Congressmen happy to be alive.

May 18, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Philip

Dang ankle biter

May 18, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chit

Noseeums, Philip?

May 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

Lol. I thought of posting this story yesterday as I was posting about FB being a gateway used by desperate women seeking men, and have scratched their way all the way down to the bottom ot the barrel: HS sweethearts. Anyway...
    Gotta goto to worky. bbl Hello, banasy, bobcat (dang it. forgot to read your joke. i will before i go) Where's Joey?

May 18, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chit

That's funny! Lots of pedos use it to look for victims, too. FB should be outlawed!

May 18, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |