Jogger’s unexplained slaying stuns Missouri city
Harry Stone, 60, was fatally shot Sunday morning while jogging in Raytown, Missouri.
May 18th, 2012

Jogger’s unexplained slaying stuns Missouri city

Harry Stone was on one of his usual jogs in a Kansas City suburb shortly before 7:30 a.m. Sunday when an approaching car slowed down and a passenger shot him.

The vehicle kept going without stopping, and Stone, 60, later died at a hospital.

Nearly a week later, police in Raytown, Missouri, say they have no suspects, and no one has any idea why he was targeted.

He wasn’t robbed. He didn’t have any known enemies. And a gang-initiation hit appears implausible, Raytown police Capt. Ted Bowman said.

“Even grasping at straws and imagining motives, we have been able to find nothing in the man’s background or time or place or associations or his relationships or his history,” Bowman said Thursday.

“Literally, we can find no motive,” he said.

Stone was a homeowners’ association leader and the husband of a pastoral assistant – she was supposed to preach Sunday morning at Raytown’s St. Luke United Methodist Church, CNN affiliate WDAF reported.

He was shot near an intersection by a gas station. Surveillance video from the station shows the shooting, though police have released only footage of a few seconds before the shot, Bowman said.

The video shows a dark-color, four-door car. Police say they don’t know the model or the license plate number. Bowman said a witness was able to describe only the passenger, and the description was light on details: a young African American male with a short Afro-type hairstyle.

A Kansas City police spokesman, representing a multiagency detective squad that looked into the shooting, initially told local media that the killing could have been part of a gang initiation, as CNN affiliate KCTV reported.

But Bowman said Thursday that detectives have determined this probably wasn’t the case.

“We have not found any of the street gangs, that we’re aware of, to make that an open part of the initiation process,” he said.

People who knew Stone told KCTV that he enjoyed serving others, doing things such as helping to build a park next to his church. His daughter, Susan Li, told reporters Monday that he prided himself in keeping physically fit and hoped to get back into running marathons.

Li asked for people with information about the shooting to come forward.

“He was in constant service … to the community, and the community now has the opportunity to be in the service of justice,” she said.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Missouri
  1. neguys

another senseless killing...heartbreaking.....the shooter will be caught. where oh where are jesse jackson & al sharpton now ?????

May 20, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. neguys

every year the percentage of these people drops and drops ...so soon there wont be a problem

May 20, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Luvbach1

I think it may have been forTrayvon.

May 20, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sam nelson

Mystery. My butt. Racism is not a oneway street. Black on white crime is almost 40 times greater than white on black. Print the truth. Likely a "HATE Crime". perhaps, FBI or doj will step in, doubtful. Perhaps Mr. Stone will remind Obama of his grandfather so he will make a public appeal, doubtful. God Bless America, we need.

May 20, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jesse

yeah!!!

May 20, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ImpishLisa

people need to remember the truths of life. But it needs to be both directions. Not just 'White people need to be nicer.." We need to have people all trying to be better - no matter what reason. If you do it for god, for your family, for your beliefs, fine. Just do it. Some sick guy killed this old man because he could. That psycho is an outcast, a pathetic and lost soul that values no life, and in return his life is less than dog droppings on the street. Please for the love of goodness in life, catch this creep, and break him.

"I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. I possess tremendous power to make life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration, I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis is escalated or de-escalated, and a person is humanized or de-humanized. If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming."
    Goethe said it ages ago. It's still true. Raise each other up. Don't crush each other down.

May 20, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Leigh2

Years ago, where I once upon a time lived, a local dentist was jogging and found murdered in someone's yard ~ bludgeoned. This happened in broad daylight. Never solved to this day ~ but since technology has advanced greatly in forensics, you'd think that would be a solvable case. At any rate, I really hope and pray they find this man's killer and put him away before he does it to someone else. There are still very evil and cruel beings out there ~ even more so these days. May Harry Stone be at peace.

May 20, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. tk007e

Charlie hold your horses, now...I bet it wasn't so hilarious when 3 white racist thugs gunned down 3 blacks in Tulsa just 3 weeks ago. We missed your humor then. Where was your outrage then. It's unfortunate that this innocent white man was gun dow by these thugs. I bet you these thugs have murdered and probably will murder other black people in the future. My advice to you is to stop having selective humor and outrage. Crime is crime no matter the perpertrator or the victim.

May 20, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • HOG

HOA, duh. Somebody obviosly had had enough of the little busybody commie dictating how high his fence could be, the color of paint on his house, or....on and on. Doesn't take an detective to figure this out. –HOG

May 20, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • baldowl

tk007e has chosen the side of diversity. Let's see how that works out for him.

May 21, 2012 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  9. kansascindy

Killed around 7:30am by a passenger. This was probably a thrill kill. My guess is these kids(I assume kids)had been out all night causing mayhem. I would look for vandalism, harassment and other such incidents that happened during the night prior to morning to try to narrow down a suspect.

May 20, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • exqzme

Riiiight .... Because you are waaayyyy smarter than the police and they would never have thought of that.

May 20, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jeronimo Dan

This one is so easy, it's a shame the motive has not been plastered across the front page. Believe me the police know, they've just been ordered not to tell the truth about the motive.

May 20, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Where's My Senators?

How come my senator is not yelling about this and making speeches? How come the guys family allowed to be on CNN to their hearts content and having unlimited access to government officials.

Oh....sorry, wrong color victim and wrong color shooter.

May 20, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buddha

Can you say "Retaliation for Trayvon"?

May 20, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • exqzme

Believe it or not.... gangland murder is not something that happens here very often. Or race murder. Or really much of anything. There are MAYBE 30,000 people here. What that means is that the number of young people you are dealing with is relatively small. The number of young blacks... VERY small. The number of young blacks with an afro... can't think of any.

I KNOW that the cops would check with churches... which in this area is where many black youth would be, or be getting ready to go to at that time. I imagine they will check for schools to see which kids have afros... but yeah ... probably come up empty there too.

This REALLY IS baffling. The cops aren't making this up. I mean these people must be from out of town or something...but then why come here? Just ... crazy!!!

May 20, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kim Baliey

Liberals are attacking me for posting that 500,000 Whites, Latinos and Asians are murdered every year in the US.
    Want proof? Turn on your TV and see Blacks butchering Whites and others 24/7 multiply that fro 20,000 cities and 365 days and you might have even more, like 700,000 victims of Black Race War. Arm Yourselves or die..

May 20, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Obummer

No cries of racist murder from the lib media – what a surprise. Total anti-white racist hypocrites.

May 20, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. People hate people that try to be healthy.

People hate people that are trying to be healthy. When you are a bicyclist, you meet lots of these people.

May 20, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • louii

Given the fact in the past week I've had one driver stop his vehicle, jump out, and acoste me on my bicycle (while I was riding to the right of the fog line out of traffic) for interfering with his driving. Two days later, epitaphs hurled at approximately same location by a 75 year old man while his wife laid on the horn, had things thrown at me. I'd suspect ithis cold blooded murder was a hate crime. It is amazing how many people hate joggers and bicyclers even when the joggers and cyclists observe the vehicle traffic laws and have to express that hatred verbally and physically. Hard to believe we emote such hatred.

May 20, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ggg

this has to ne the stupidest police force on the planet,,,the guy was white and the shooter was black ,,,,DUH !!!!!!!!! its a trayvon martin hate crime...

May 20, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. BILLY BOB

Race, schmace. I say this has nothing to do with race. He was involved with an HOA...that's where I bet you will find a motive. HOAs are some shady business.

May 20, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |