Four tons of marijuana pulled from ocean off California
Agents move some of the four tons of marijuana to vans on Sunday night in Dana Point, California.
May 21st, 2012

Four tons of marijuana pulled from ocean off California

Authorities found almost four tons of marijuana with a street value of $3.6 million floating in the ocean off Dana Point, California, on Sunday.

Boats from the Border Patrol, the U.S. Coast Guard and the Orange County sheriff's office were involved in recovering the 160 bales of marijuana, according to a report from CNN affiliate KCBS.

A tip led authorities to the marijuana floating in the Pacific Ocean about 13 miles off Dana Point, the station reported.

Border Patrol spokesman Michael Jimenez told the Orange County Register that the fact that the pot was found with no suspected drug boats in the area was unusual.

"At other events, they've dumped the bales to get rid of weight if they're being chased. Generally in these cases we're aware they're being dumped. What's more unusual is that the bales were floating with no boat in sight," the Register quotes Jimenez as saying.

Post by:
Filed under: California • Crime • Drugs
  1. krozar

That junk from Mexico isn't fit to be called marijuana.

May 21, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. Nam123

Good job lest drugs on the streets !

May 21, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Phil

You have no clue whatsoever, do you?

May 21, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

you mean in the ocean. less pot in the ocean... lol

May 21, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Kent

Ignorance is no excuse. If danger is your rationale, get rid of alcohol and tobacco. They actually kill people. Cannabis does not.

May 21, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • serdich

in case you dont know this is not a drub but type of grass...

May 21, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • sumday

what job? they didn't bust anyone they found it floating in the water.

May 21, 2012 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  3. Erica

Legalize it and tax it for medical purposes. Now doctors are saying that it helps patients with MS. Maybe their is a cure in that plant for many diseases. Dispense with a license and a prescription for people with chronic pain. I seen it work on many people with Cancer.

May 21, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
    • mitch

What do the pot smokers do that can't get a prescription? Steal from their friends or commit burglaries?

May 21, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Colin

What of the people with COPD and lung cancer. Help them too?

May 21, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • thrawn17

Liked what you said up till "Medical purposes." There is no real justification for it as a medicine, besides pain relief, and the vast majority of people on medical marijuana are not on it for pain, they use it because its marijuana. I don't smoke pot, nor do I especially approve of it, but in my opinion, it's no different than cigg. or alcohol. Both are perfectly legal, mind-altering substances. Tax the heck out of it, and let people use it. Tens of thousands of people are dying in Mexico each year over this, a drug that cannot kill you.

May 21, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • CARLOS

Better yet, decriminalize it, let me grow one or two plants at home for my personal use. (smaller government) . End a huge revenue stream to the drug Cartel.
      Of course this will never happen because all that money !!!!!!!

May 21, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  4. Hear Ye

End times! "And it shall rain down in bales ...." : Cheech 7:3

May 21, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Boo

Best comment of the day!!!!

May 21, 2012 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  5. dondijon

Iit's a funny thing, I read a comment about missing brain cells and Cannabis plain just wont do that to you.

It does however work much differently on different people, and it does tend to magnify ones individual personaliity traits, so if you are predisposed to be an idiot, it will make you exactly that and I do believe that after 45 Years of smoking I can say with great confidence that them GO GETTERS get their phyche tweeked also... George washington both Smoked and Grew Cannabis Hemp, so did Thomas Jefferson. They are unarguably two of the most brilliant men in history.

Motivation is both a personality trait and a personal decision. I have seen many battle with, it is the individuals personal make- up that is most noticed, and it is the negative connotations that are attatched by the sarchastic and udereducated that stands between reliefe for many and the eventual outright legalization of this Missing ingredient of the Holy incence of the Tabernacal and Gods Temple...

May 21, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Colin

So you can't spell and you are smoking now. At least five spelling errors in your comment. Without the Weed you will only make two. Put the Weed out and try again.

May 21, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

How about the grammar mistakes Colin?

May 21, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • pepti

Please go to school.

May 21, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  6. I believe!

If by chance and if while out fishing in my 12 foot boat I some how happen by miracle to find this new plant that raps it self and floats up from the bottom of the ocean .And being the patriotic American that I am. My first concern as skipper of my vessel .Would no doubt be for the safety of my fellow Citizens and to keep this away from underage adults and gangstas .And would round this up quickly and drag it in hide on shore .My truck wouldn't hold that many bails.If I had a truck.And no phone would think that would be the right thing to do! I would think this would be a sign from God for me to find this and help people who need it.Maybe I could have some too! Or not?
    Again for public safety. I would remove this dangerous floating bails.i bail at a time if need be! from underage children and gangsta.See what kind of a person I am? Knowing this would be a sting or that the would be people who some how misplaced this miracle from God above! I mean this some times life saving plant! Opps I mean dangerous plant.And then I could provide a free public service by safe disposable and keepin off the streets.No applause please! Thats the kinda person I am! If I had a boat and a truck!

May 21, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Golden God

Well 420 420 420 long years

Smoked lots of refer and drank lots of beer

Every day at 420 we’re gonna settle the score

And 420 long years, it’s been 20 pass 4

May 21, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • jordan

What in Gods name are you trying to communicate

May 21, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. TriXen

Well, if they're going to destroy it by burning, I think they should announce the event publicly and then sell tickets so we can all stand downwind and breathe deeply! 😉

May 21, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  8. james

Can we please let the people who are in prison for smoking weed OUT ? What kind of craziness is that ?

May 21, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  9. Rialto350

Boat probably sank from the weight. Likely they weren't carrying any type of safety equipment, and the only thing the 'customer' demanded was that the stuff get shipped. Could also have been an expensive but effective decoy, as a sub carrying coke/heroin slipped by unnoticed, but that's a stretch.

May 21, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. Mike O

3.6 million could go into the crooked government banks if it were made legal....Government should start keeping what they take away from drug dealers as it's going to be legal one day................

May 21, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • steve harnack

The government grows their own. Supposed to be the best, according to those, I think that there are only 2 or 3 now, who get it from them.

May 21, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • sumday

1. the only reason the price is high IS bc it is illegal, and 2. the gov already does keep everything they catch a dealer/user with.

May 21, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • TMoney

They do. Anything that can be proven was gained from selling narcotics is seized and auctioned.

May 21, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Chris Robbins

Screw drugs. Build a star ship.

May 21, 2012 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  12. Micky D

$28 (and some change) per ounce; sounds like mighty cheap weed

May 21, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  13. Anonymous

Sorry but this makes me laugh because this isn't real news!

May 21, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. sumday

I wonder if they weighted it while it was still wet- lol there was 500 lb of pot and 3500 pounds of sea water estimated at 3.6 million- sea water is expensive these days.

May 21, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  15. erich2112x

it's raining kilos!

May 21, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • SophieCat

Halleleujah! It's raining Kilos!

Seriously, these cops are so STUPID. Of course "there are no boats in sight", as if the boat who dumped the pot is going to drop anchor and hang around, 'Hey let's dump everything overboard and then sit around and see what happens next", not to mention the fact that, hey, if you find that much weed drifting in the ocean isn't it probable that the weed was carried by the ocean currents and may have been dumped a few hundred miles away?

Keystone cops, DUH.

No wonder we can't win the "drug war"; stupid cops who couldn't find the criminal element if it was lit up like Wrigley Field.

May 21, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |