Four tons of marijuana pulled from ocean off California
Agents move some of the four tons of marijuana to vans on Sunday night in Dana Point, California.
May 21st, 2012

Four tons of marijuana pulled from ocean off California

Authorities found almost four tons of marijuana with a street value of $3.6 million floating in the ocean off Dana Point, California, on Sunday.

Boats from the Border Patrol, the U.S. Coast Guard and the Orange County sheriff's office were involved in recovering the 160 bales of marijuana, according to a report from CNN affiliate KCBS.

A tip led authorities to the marijuana floating in the Pacific Ocean about 13 miles off Dana Point, the station reported.

Border Patrol spokesman Michael Jimenez told the Orange County Register that the fact that the pot was found with no suspected drug boats in the area was unusual.

"At other events, they've dumped the bales to get rid of weight if they're being chased. Generally in these cases we're aware they're being dumped. What's more unusual is that the bales were floating with no boat in sight," the Register quotes Jimenez as saying.

Post by:
Filed under: California • Crime • Drugs
  1. pozin

I am going to have to fishing more often.

May 21, 2012 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  2. dondijon

@Charlie Brown: "That's not what my doctor says. You potheads have a much too high opinion of marijuana. Smoking it makes you stupid, and it shows in your comments."

Tell that lucy VanPelt to get over it, (She's just mad because her little brothers blanket is made out of Hemp... a sibling rivalry thing I'm sure) and after all He does get all the attention...LOL...

May 21, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. keb carerra

We don't need imported pot , it grows just fine here in the USA .

May 21, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. ForGoodOfAll

I think Ted Nugent had something to do with it...

May 21, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  5. fatboyballer

damnit i knew i lost my weed somewhere. maybe if i call them they will give it back

May 21, 2012 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. Larry

The Golden Coast has now become the green coast.

May 21, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • fladabosco

That happened in the 1960's. Still happenin'

May 21, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. Steve

Hundreds of sharks with the munchies is never a good thing...

May 21, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  8. Doug

Save the bales !

May 21, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Doug

And while you are at it save the whales, please !

May 21, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  9. HIDE BEHIND

The real dreamers and schemers are the ones who have never tried pot yet know all there is to know about pot and pot smokers, they get high on their own egos

May 21, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  10. Boo

Curses!!!!

May 21, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  11. Ronny Nice

I see P.M. Glaser went swimming again

May 21, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  12. Everett Wallace

Somebody out there truely loves me. Must be a gift from the Drugloards, preciate the love' we could probly sit down and talk about things, send a rep. you know where I live. That's real talk.

May 21, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  13. fladabosco

You can be sure that pot was not destined for California. it may have been destined to travel through CA.

You can the intelligence of legalizing pot by what has happened in CA since the 420 laws came into effect. instead of buying what they want from felons in trailer parks or dark street corners people go to clean offices in safe places and buy product produced by family farms. It saves the gov't $$ by reduced police work, less jail expenses, public defenders, etc. It brings tax revenue to local government.

A couple of other points: if you are thinking 'stupid drug users, they should all be shot' then start with the most dangerous drug, the one that causes the most death and destruction – alcohol. Thousands of people die because of every year while NOBODY dies from pot. How logical is it that the laws favor alcohol? Not.

Nothing has killed more people, ruined more families, made millionaires out of criminals and turned ordinary people into criminals than the war on drugs. Look at all those deaths in Mexico. They are not from the drugs. They are from the power struggle over the criminal empires created by the war. Remember Al Capone?

And lastly, what right does Big Brother have to tell me, an adult American citizen, what I can or can't put in my own body? It's none of their business. Or yours.

May 21, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • DarkMarcsun

I would have a lot more respect for marijuana users if they stopped with the tired old lie that nobody has ever died from using pot in the same sentence where they cite DUI fatalities. People high on weed kill people behind the wheel every year. You can argue that it's not as prevalent as alcohol related fatalities if you want but saying it never happens is an outright lie and weakens your argument substantially. Every drug use has risk involved, you just have to weigh them against the consequences of the other options such as issuing scrips or regulating it as we do alcohol.

May 21, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dude

legalize it!

May 21, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  15. Steezy

The stupidity that some people actually have the nerve to type. Amazing. Critter, I also smoke daily – I'm sure not going to openly tell people I toke and drive my children to school. Your comment does as much damge for our cause of regulation than anyone who opposes it. One, I don't smoke if I know I have to drive somewhere.

If we keep giving people who don't use great examples of why it should stay illegal, it will do exactly that, stay illegal. In this example driving... People need to stop acting as if anyone with a Xanax script doesn't pop and drive. Stop lying to yourself. I've seen plenty of people with legal prescriptions under the influence, but hey it's legal.

To anyone who says that someone can accomplish more sober than being "stoned" all day.. Come on, there is no real way to tell. My personal example, when I.first started college, in 2003 I ended my freshman year with a 3.6 – smoked everyday. I thought I could have had a 4.0 if I didn't. Stopped smoking, gps falls to a 2.0 the next two semesters. I lack the ability to focus when sober. I also still smoke daily, and I continue to do well at life. As said before, it can enhance traits. I can guarantee I'd be doing no better if I didn't smoke. I'm 28, my home will be paid off in two years, I don't have a car payment, and I'm helping a family member start a business.

So many people don't know anything about cannabis. And the sad thing is they think they do. This goes to smokers and non-smokers alike. I won't get into specifics, it's very scientific.

What a waste of time this was.

May 21, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • LabRat

You could have saved some finger time, and just typed the last sentence.

May 21, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |