Four tons of marijuana pulled from ocean off California
Agents move some of the four tons of marijuana to vans on Sunday night in Dana Point, California.
May 21st, 2012

Four tons of marijuana pulled from ocean off California

Authorities found almost four tons of marijuana with a street value of $3.6 million floating in the ocean off Dana Point, California, on Sunday.

Boats from the Border Patrol, the U.S. Coast Guard and the Orange County sheriff's office were involved in recovering the 160 bales of marijuana, according to a report from CNN affiliate KCBS.

A tip led authorities to the marijuana floating in the Pacific Ocean about 13 miles off Dana Point, the station reported.

Border Patrol spokesman Michael Jimenez told the Orange County Register that the fact that the pot was found with no suspected drug boats in the area was unusual.

"At other events, they've dumped the bales to get rid of weight if they're being chased. Generally in these cases we're aware they're being dumped. What's more unusual is that the bales were floating with no boat in sight," the Register quotes Jimenez as saying.

Post by:
Filed under: California • Crime • Drugs
  1. Obvious Guy

I smoke daily and nightly. It helps me with my job at the law firm, and helps with my 3.75 GPA in school.

May 21, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • TenoRx

3.75 GPA? You need more help. You know, for better focus and retention, you might switch to caffeine...

May 21, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. joebob

This is exactly why Marijuana should be legal, remove the money from the cartels, grow it here legally better to have that $3.6 million out of the hands of the cartels and in the hands of tax paying US citizens.

May 21, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  3. I dunno

I see the users who say it helps... and I'm sure it does some. I've also seen a few burnouts in my time. Clearly it doesn't help everyone. To claim it does is to ignore human diversity.

It doesn't seem to help anyone drive though. And.... while the war on drugs is a big negative, I happen to know that I'm not feeding that monster, because... get this... I just don't use.

May 21, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Bryan

Fine then, don't use. That's called personal freedom. I don't drink, but others do. Many claim it helps them relax after a hard day. Should we make alcohol illegal just because it - get this - doesn't help everyone?

May 21, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • mylife55

You are a good little boy. (pat on the head)

May 21, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. Portland tony

Gone Fishing!

May 21, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • 900rr

will be wit you in few !

May 21, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • sameeker

It started out as 8 tons before the cops got ahold of it.

May 21, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. Steezy

Let's not bring up Impared driving... Phones, food, beverages, radio, children.

May 21, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • TiredOfPaying

States which have Medical MJ have seen a DECREASE in DUI fatalies because people who were previously getting drunk and driving are switching to MJ. Nice try – thanks for playing. Now what's your excuse?

May 21, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  6. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Prescription drug companies should be paying law enforcement and not taxpayers because they profit legally for the sell of drugs and law enforcement protects their legal sells by keeping marijuana illegal. I don't smoke marijuana or use prescription drugs but I use my brain to see through this B.S.

May 21, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Byrd

The prescription drug companies pay the politicians to keep it illegal, as does Georgia Pacific because you can make paper from hemp; as does DOW Chemical because you can make biodegradable plastics from hemp – the list goes on almost forever. This is the last battle of the industrial Revolution that took us down the road to ruin and its proponents are going to be both defeated and revealed for the travesty of poisons they've foisted upon the people and this planet for nothing more than their personal enrichment. Any benefits the general population might have received were, as they see it, just happenstance to be later corrected by their political lackeys.

May 21, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  7. Coop

Did they weigh it while it was wet or did they dry it out first ?
    That affects the street value you know
    🙂

May 21, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  8. transcendant

I am also not feeding the War on Drugs. Except, that it is because I grow my own. And I do so, when not prioritizing my 6-figure engineering career, my 15-yr marriage and my community involvement.

May 21, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  9. jqent

Those who declare virtuously that "smoking" helps them are apparently unwilling to admit it also helps to finance the brutal massacres going on in Mexico... a war that will inevitably come into our own cities unless we either legalize domestic pot or call in the military. And I don't place much hope in the latter suggestion.

May 21, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • TiredOfPaying

I would gladly pay Taxes and support American businesses with my money instead, but the corner 7-11 doesn't seem to carry the product I want. End this pesky 'illegal' thingy and you'll end the money flowing to the drug cartels.

May 21, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • background

Correction, those who refuse to make it illegal are feeding that war.

May 21, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  10. iceload9

Gives you an idea how effective the war on drugs is when they dump four tons. Keeping marijuana illegal is just a waste of money and resources. And no I never use it.

May 21, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jester1028

duh! if no boats were on site and found pot floating around the pacific, Coast Guard forgot to look up! It could be an aerial drop for later recovery by the runners...

May 21, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  12. David

Long walks on the beach just had a renaissance.

May 21, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sharky

Finders keepers!

May 21, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  14. justanother

prolly dirt week. i feel bad for anyone who has to depend on mexico for pot.

May 21, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  15. kenny

seriously, bales of weed??? comon feds wake up, they're growing this stuff like hay and WE"RE the suckers... they want OUR money soo bad they cut each others heads off for the PRIVELEDGE of selling it to us. People are always gonna get high, if you support the war on drugs YOU ARE responsible for the murder.... NOT the USERs... if you think the opposite lets see how you like it when UR unhealthy yet fun/exciting/pleasurable hobby gets criminalized????

May 21, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |