24 hours through the lens
May 22nd, 2012

Mash-up: Eclipse, dolphin, gay-baiting

The CNN Daily Mash-up is a roundup of some of the most interesting, surprising, curious, poignant or significant items to appear on CNN.com in the past 24 hours. We top it with a collection of the day's most striking photographs.

Devilish sight in the heavens

We know you can't get enough of Sunday's annular solar eclipse. CNN iReporter Angela J. Wright was shooting photos of the eclipse in Yucca Valley, California, about 10 miles from Joshua Tree National Park, when it took on this eerie configuration.  "I was so excited I had to keep my self calm," she said.  "I'd never seen anything like it before!"

Stuck baby dolphin rescued

Marine life experts from Sea World in Orlando, Florida, rescued a 5-day-old bottlenose dolphin that was stranded in a mangrove on Three Sisters Island, reports CNN affiliate Central Florida News 13, which has pictures and video of the cute little guy.

Trash patch bigger than Texas

There is a huge patch of garbage - the size of "a Texas or two," one expert says - swirling in the middle of the North Pacific Ocean, and it was there even before last year's epic tsunami in Japan.

This reality reminds us of folk singer Pete Seeger's song "Garbage," as performed in this YouTube video.

Pastor tries to clarify anti-gay sermon

Charles L. Worley, the Maiden, North Carolina, pastor whose anti-gay May 13 sermon became a viral video, told CNN affiliate WBTV that he's not being hateful. In the sermon, the pastor of Providence Road Baptist Church suggested setting up what would amount to concentration camps for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. But when asked about it by WBTV, Worley said:

Listen, all of the Sodomites, the lesbians, and all of the ... what's that word? Gays - I didn't wanna say 'queers' - that say we don't love you: I love you more than you love yourself. I'm praying for you to be saved.

But another North Carolina minister,  the Rev. Dennis Teall-Fleming, pastor at Open Hearts Gathering in Gastonia, North Carolina, took issue with Worley. In a statement to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, Teall-Fleming said:

Nothing he says has anything to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I call on all Christian and Baptist organizations that have any connection with him to condemn his comments as strongly as I do, including Providence Road Baptist Church of Maiden.

Police stop party animals in Iowa

John Reiter

An Iowa man was arrested outside the Dog House bar in Dubuque on Sunday night with a pet zebra and a macaw in the front seat of his truck, CNN affiliate KCRG reports. The man was charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated, but he denies he intended to leave the pub's parking lot. He told the station that he and his wife often take their pets for rides and sometimes take them inside the bar. All righty then.

On the horizon: Egypt's election, Donna Summer funeral

Voting begins Wednesday in Egypt's first open presidential election. The vote follows last year's popular uprising that led to the ouster of longtime strongman Hosni Mubarak.

A private funeral for disco and pop singer Donna Summer will be held Wednesday in Nashville, Tennessee. Summer died last week of lung cancer, though she was not a smoker, her family said.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Daily Mash-up
  1. Bull Elephant

subliminlal breeding ball of snakes. learn from the ant and the bird before or after graduating to snake?

May 22, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. obama ce

God is real. no? vote for someone else then. or just leave god out of your bedroom too.

May 22, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. chrissy

Once again philip, you make absolutely no sense! You think talking in riddles makes you look superior? It doesnt!

May 22, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Scottish Mama

Hi all been defending the Man. (President O) Philip I would think you would have looked into and reported about Bain Capitol and Carlyle Group.
    Hi miss chrissy and hello banasy.
    Hellooooooooo s kel old friend.

May 22, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. chrissy

hey mama, hows it going girl? We are a pair arent we, lol, always defending someone! Lmfao!

May 22, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Scottish Mama

It is Romney on the Bain Pain Corey Booker so called started. lol I had to research it. They have it on cnn now.

May 22, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Scottish Mama

What's the deal on using capitals in a name like Philip or S Kel or Banasy or Chrissy?

May 22, 2012 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

I can't speak for anyone else, but I like the way it looks, Scottish Mama.
      Nothing more, and nothing less.
      I just like the way banasy© looks.
      Personnaly, I don't give a fig about what someone else infers from it.

May 22, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I thought philip or someone said it means something banasy, just askin'. I thought one of you would know what it meant. Never mind. No worries.

May 22, 2012 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Philip did imply that it meant something, but that's all it was; an innuendo.
      I have never heard anything about it meaning anything.
      My thought is that it is difficult for some people to capitalize on older phones; that is what some people tell me anyway.
      No worries at all, Mama!

May 22, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Oh, scottish mama, na, I like Scottish Mama. What the deal with all the names tonight. Someone busy?

May 23, 2012 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Yeah, Scottish Mama looks better to me, too...lol.
      Actually, I've not been on too many threads today, but I do see some new names that I wouldn't attribute to someone in particular...but he was on this thread with a few different names, if we're speaking about the same person.
      Nothing unusual there.

May 23, 2012 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  8. Scottish Mama

Going good chrissy.

May 22, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. chrissy

lol very good question! Gives someone something to get snarky about i guess.

May 22, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. chrissy

Yea i was on that thread earlier today, it got too long for me to scroll through to post. Dont that guy look like the mayor of NO? The one when katrina went thru.

May 22, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Scottish Mama

chrissy it is not because he's black or bald? lol No, he really does look like him. Maybe they are related. Booker was just on the prof. Gates show about the origin of his family. He found out things about his fathers family. His father cried, Bookers daddy was really emotional and tugged at the strings ya know.

May 22, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Okay I posted a sh!t load on there, you may not want to read it.

May 22, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scottish Mama

Pet zebra and macaw.lol We always take our exotic pets too.roflmao. OM this is hilarious.lol

May 22, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Scottish Mama

Why is this one under my last post?

May 22, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Scottish Mama

Did I scare everyone off?

May 22, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Scottish Mama

That Pastor is preaching hate. And politics bashing. Love your neighbor has a different meaning to this "holy" man.

May 22, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • banasy©

That pastor is absolutely preaching hate.
      The way he tried to back-pedal his vitriol is something I've encountered here before.
      Since so many seem to want their women in the kitchem taking care if home and hearth, how about this:
      Stick around.
      Have a great job so the women CAN stay home and watch the kids. And cook your dinner.
      Most of the married working women HAVE to work; they don't necessarily want to.
      Daddy usually doesn't have a good enough job to pay all the bills and have all the toys...but he sure as hell wants the house spotless and the kids all lined up at the door like "the sound of music" when he makes his heroic entrance...
      Stop blaming gays for the country's economic woes and the facts women HAV to work...it goes much deeper than that, and the thinking person KNOWS it!
      Gay marriage isn't going to hamper what is wrong with hetero marriages...and it's not the women's fault that they have to work outside the home most of the time either...things have changed tremendously since June Cleaver wore her pearls and high heels to vacuum, and men have been a part of that little revolution also...so cut the crap and put some blame on the people who deserve it...and HINT, once again, it isn't gay people.
      Don't like gay people? BFD.
      Willing to bet that they wouldn't want any part of YOU, either.

May 22, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

That preacher is absolutely preaching hate....but then, so many do.
      I have a much longer post awaiting moderation; it probably won't see the light of day.
      I'm tired...good night, dear ladies.
      Have a fabulous night.

May 23, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

lmfao @ banasy! Girl you are on a roll tonite! And yea he tries to enter like some superior being incognito, but then gives it all away with his holy snarkiness. Makes you wonder, whats the point with all the dumbazz names!

May 22, 2012 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. banasy©

Aw, heck, my comment is awaiting moderation.
    Dang it, it took me a while to write it, too.

@chrissy: