Actor Michael McKean hit by car in NYC
May 23rd, 2012

Actor Michael McKean hit by car in NYC

Actor Michael McKean was hit by a car while walking along a New York City street on Tuesday, suffering a broken leg, the New York Post reports.

Harriet Sternberg, his manager, told the Post McKean was being checked out at St. Luke's Hospital.

“He has sustained multiple injures and we are trying to find out the extent of other injuries,” the Post quoted her as saying.

McKean, 64, played the lead singer for the band Spinal Tap in the movie "This is Spinal Tap" among numerous other roles.

He was to have performed on Broadway in Gore Vidal’s “The Best Man” on Tuesday night, the New York Daily News reported.

“It’s the first time he will have ever missed a curtain in his entire life,” Sternberg told the Daily News. “He’s never missed stage, screens in film or television. His understudy has never gone on in 40-plus years.”

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrity • Movies • Showbiz
  1. Dave

At least is wasnt a bizarre gardening accident

May 23, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. William

Hope you get well soon "Perry White", and say hello to you beautiful wife Annette "Martha Kent" O'Toole!

May 23, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Me

"You can't do heavy metal in dubb-ley".

May 23, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. wr

He'll always be Lenny.

May 23, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Gregg D Scott

Get well soon! Love your work – Spinal Tap, Mighty Wind, Laverne & Shirley, SNL...thank you for the countless laughs (and decent tunes too)

May 23, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cathy

glad you mentioned Laverene and Shirley...that was probably the roll he is best known for. I bet the CNN reporter didn't fully do their homework....

May 23, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • me

Where do I sign up to be an understudy? 40 years steady job where you don't do jack squat? Sign me up! Where do I apply? Who the hell even hires an understudy? Rich people: They're like whale sharks that lazy/conceited people horde around like remoras.

May 23, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kat

I echo those words – please get well fast!! Big thank you to Gregg D Scott for mentioning Laverne and Shirley. Who can ever forget Lenny&Squggy – fab. As an entertainer myself, let's try to see the humor in our terminology "break a leg" – you must have some seriously good stuff coming your way, Michael!

May 23, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kat

Btw.. I was echoing Gregg D Scott's words, not the person who goes by "me".

May 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. larry

To easy.... Every actor know the expression " break a leg "

May 23, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Billy

Was his understudy driving the car?

May 23, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
    • Misschameleon

Funny

May 23, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. scott

maybe it was Shirley

May 23, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. F-man

Very funny guy who comes across as a nice guy. Hope he heals up quickly.

May 23, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Dave

Right of way or not a car weighs a lot! I ride by bike on the side walk, f anyone who has a problem!

May 23, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Tim D

"Well I'd be a lot more upset about it if I weren't so heavily sedated."

May 23, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Kat Fud

I hope it wasn't the understudy driving the car.

Finally, an actor breaks a leg.

May 23, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. geneso

Now I know who Michael McKean is. What an article! Thank you CNN!

May 23, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. SHR

Apparently the curse is no longer just on the drummers.....

May 23, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. willow lol

he must of been in brownie form walking the streets and willow drove by and hit him lol.

May 23, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply