Ohio school-shooting suspect to be tried as adult
T.J. Lane is accused of shooting students in the Chardon High School cafeteria in February.
May 24th, 2012

Ohio school-shooting suspect to be tried as adult

A 17-year-old accused of killing three students and injuring others during a shooting at an Ohio high school this year will be tried as an adult, Geauga County Judge Timothy Grendell has ruled.

T.J. Lane is charged with three counts of aggravated murder, two of attempted aggravated murder and one of felonious assault in connection with February shooting at Chardon High School, about 30 miles east of Cleveland.

Authorities said Lane opened fire on students in Chardon High School's cafeteria.

Post by: , ,
Filed under: Cleveland • Courts • Crime • Justice • Ohio
  1. Adam

As many have mentioned...his parents should be charged as accomplices. That'll wake parents up and make them take responsibility for their children. I refuse to believe that a parent who actually pays attention to their kids would fail to notice that their kid was about to take a gun to school and kill people. We're talking about a child here, not a criminal mastermind who covers his tracks and conceals his thoughts and emotions.

May 24, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • I Love The World

And I refuse to believe that a parent who actually pays attention to their kids would fail to notice when their kid is being a vicious, bullying b@st@rd.

May 24, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • I Love The World

And I refuse to believe that a parent who actually pays attention to their kids would fail to notice when their kid's being a vicious, evil bully.

May 24, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon S.

My guess is you do not have kids and/or do not have teenagers. Otherwise, you would not make such an ignorant statement as "I refuse to believe that a parent who actually pays attention to their kids would fail to notice that their kid was about to take a gun to school and kill people."

To give you a little lesson on the brain – teenagers do NOT have a fully developed frontal lobe, which is responsible for logical reasoning – that is why a teenager may LOOK like an adult and sometimes sound like one, then do really stupid things. This is an extreme example of that stupidity, and it is also an example of the fallacious logic people use regarding crime – that the more serious the crime, the more true it must be that the teen knew what he was doing – which is actually quite often opposite of the reality of the situation.

May 24, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

@ILoveTheWorld... fact check...... TJ Lane was NOT a "vicious, evil bully." Nice try. By the accounts of almost everyone who knows him, who's spoken publically, he was typically a very quiet, nice kid. Many who've known him since he was little said they were shocked at what he did; that they never thought he was capable of doing something like this. So if his friends who've known him for many years couldn't have seen this coming, what could've been done? Nothing. Yes, his act was evil. But no one in the world that knew him ever saw him as being evil. Just the opposite.

May 24, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • cleT

so you can be the overbearing parent who never lets their kid on thir own or let them out of their sight....thats a good plan...

May 24, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • shawn

You have no idea what you are talking about...

My parents are saints, I'm a retired surgeon...and my brother was a problematic dirty bag from the age of 14 on. There was nothing they could do about it...

May 24, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

The people with the most advice about raising children do not have any.

May 24, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • profart

The fact that he was assigned to an alternate school environment suggests the family was already working hard to help this child. Getting alternate placements is not an easy thing to do, school systems HATE paying for them. Emotionally disturbed kids are extremely difficult to handle, and extremely difficult to get help for in our current systems.

May 24, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe B-b-b-b-bob

Hear hear. Agreed.

May 24, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob B

Kids are alot smarter than you think.

May 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • ciscoheat

I disagree on every account about the parents. Just think, if parents were accountable, some kids would actually do things if they knew they could get their parents in trouble. Not a good thing!!

May 24, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrish

Many parents today are lazy and indifferent. It take work to raise a emotionally adjusted child. Our children reflect there parent's values.... so yes, parents should be held more responsible.

May 24, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. topper harley

I just had some Taco Bell.

May 24, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sodomite

If he hadn't had access to a gun, he wouldn't have shot anyone.

May 24, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • cleT

you are right, he would got a knife, bat, sword, hammer, acis, bomb of some sort....etc etc.....

May 24, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • ThaGerm

Yea, maybe he would have just poisoned them instead, or just got in his parents car and ran right threw a parking lot full of them.

May 24, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. me

hilarious how they use alleged, not like they found evidence and assume its him, they know its him 100%. i know he has to have a trial but why, he`s guilty theres no proving he isn`t just sentence him to life and waste stop wasting time.

May 24, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carillo

@me, While we're at it why don't we just dump our entire justice system. lmfao. And learn to write basic English.

May 24, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • suechp

me, where do you see the word "alleged" in the story? Stop the drinking and drugging. Haha

May 24, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. MarieLouise

If you make guns illegal, only criminals will have guns.

May 24, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • btru

Most crimminals get their guns lawfully. In fact most of the guns confiscated from Mexican drug lords and their henchmen are US guns that were purchased lawfully.

May 24, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob B

MarieLouise you are right. btru you should not comment on something you have no idea what your talking about.

May 24, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Reidros

Sodomite, you're not very intelligent, are you? Anyone who wants to get a gun can get a gun! So if he couldn't get it at home, he could've easily gotten it somewhere else. Duh. Anyone with half a brain cell knows this.

May 24, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. GNB15

I live in Ohio, near where this happened it is a shame for all involved. Ohio law dictates that he won't be put to death, he can be tried as an adult but the most he could get is life in prison. Minors can not receive the death penalty in Ohio.

May 24, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Effie

GNB15 is correct. He'll be tried as an adult, but cannot get the death penalty per Ohio law.

May 24, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • RAFritz

There's no death penalty for minors anywhere in the U.S. now, as per the Supreme Court.

May 24, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Oh how lovely

I was harshly bullied in school. It was awful, but not all kids tell their parents what's going on. I didn't, but i'm sure I would've if they cared to listen. But personally it would've never went through my mind to bring a gun to school and kill someone. I think he should be held accountable for his actions. I also think 17 is more than old enough to know better. My 4 year old daughter knows it is not ok to hurt people!

May 24, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carillo

It's not always about chronological age, it's about mental capacity. What if he was 17 and was severely mentally retarded? Or had serious learning disabilities? I'm not saying either are the case with TJ Lane. But you can't paint with a broad brush and just if your XX age, you must know this or that. This was an extremely emotionally troubled kid who hid it very well. And his peers thought he was a nice boy, although many who had been close to him stopped hanging out with him because he became much less social as he got older. But there were absolutely no clear signs of any type that he could or would harm anyone. All his schoolmates, in fact, said he was a very passive guy. He was obviously tortured inside, purposely didn't talk to anyone about it, and snapped. I'm sure he has an enormous amount of remorse for what he did and wishes he could go back in time.

May 24, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ja

do grown up crime, do grown up time

May 24, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Peggy F.

My just turned 7 last month is a member of a gun club with his dad. He got a 22 rifle for his birthday. I asked him one question. How is your gun used and then waited for his answer. He said it is locked in dads gun safe except if we go to the club. I always point away from others and never pretend like I am going to shoot ever. The gun could be loaded ya know. When I get older I can hunt with dad if I follow rules. This boy is a cub scout. He is in a school for kids who excel in education.The point is kids can understand and know right from wrong and how to handle or not handle guns. People who blame the world are the ones who blame the guns. Not all are taught true but one person cant blame the NRA or others take the heat because a kid or adult were not taught about life issues. IE: right from wrong in all situations and taking the responsibility excuse spelling..for all your actions!

May 24, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scuromondo

What is the point of having rules for trying a defendant as either a child or an adult? It seems like the justice system can routinely override these rules whenever it likes, so why not just quit fooling ourselves and get rid of distinction and simply try EVERYONE charged with a crime in exactly the same way: as an "adult?"

May 24, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Peggy F.

Sorry left out that I was talking about my grandson. I know people hurt in life but the blame game gets no where. After the fact it is too late. Help those troubled you may pass by in life it may save more than just them.

May 24, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. reta kay hunter morgan

we need put prayers back in our schools. we had prayers back it might help these troubled young people Get prayers back in schools please

May 24, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Heisey

Uh, no we shouldn't reta kay! I am deeply religious but strongly believe that religion must be kept out of public schools. Separation of church and state makes total sense. Public schools should never force religion on anyone, or even be a bystander at any religious activity, and have no right to know who does or does not believe in god. That is a very personal, private matter that has no place in public schools. This issue is settled law for a reason.

May 24, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • tinywine

@reta kay hunter morgan..... many of the most viscious criminals ever came from very religious and observant backgrounds. Do you think if there was prayer in TJ Lane's school he wouldn't have done what he did? Get real and stop the nonsense comments.

May 24, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Peggy F.

As for the comments made by those who have no children. I have 3 all married 29 to 33 and 5 grandkids 4 to 14 not the best but a little experience.

May 24, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Larry Barnes

Mark Twain, I think, was reported to have asked, "If you call a tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?" The answer is "four" because calling a tail a leg does not make it a leg. If we call a 17-year-old an adult, let's be fair. Let him sign contracts, get married, buy a beer, etc. He needs punishment, but as a 17-year-old. Let's try to save him.

May 24, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |