Beacon in the bay: Golden Gate turns 75
A view of Fort Point under the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.
May 27th, 2012

Beacon in the bay: Golden Gate turns 75

Sunday is just a little sunnier in the San Francisco Bay today.

It is the 75th anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge, and to honor the iconic structure, project Solar Beacon was unleashed. Solar Beacon is an art installation that sits atop the bridge's towers and shines two lights "that are bright as the sun, but much smaller in size," across the Bay Area. People can log onto the Solar Beacon website and schedule their own personal show by designating where they would like the lights to shine.

"During the 75th Anniversary celebrations and the months that follow, the solar beam will directly link the line of sight between the public and the bridge they love," the project's website reads.

LIFE: 75 years of the Golden Gate

Solar Beacon is a feat of art and science, similar to the "International Orange" suspension bridge itself. Construction of the Golden Gate Bridge took four years and claimed the lives of 11 men. It nearly took the lives of 19 more whose fates were changed by a safety net installed under the bridge for workers. These 19 came to be known as the "Half-way-to-Hell Club."

Despite it's gruesome underpinnings, the bridge was heralded for its aesthetics upon its opening to the public in 1937 - prompting the San Francisco Chronicle to call it a "Thirty-five million dollar steel harp!"

The Golden Gate bridge has become a meaningful destination for Bay Area residents - many of whom will celebrate the anniversary at a festival today.

Post by:
Filed under: California • San Francisco • U.S.
  1. Salesman of sunglasses

May 27, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Naked lady in window

What the ????

May 27, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

Pretty.

May 27, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Oski

I'll be driving over it today on my way home to SF....Happy BD, GG bridge.

May 27, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ©bobcat (in a hat)©

In Kathmandu, Nepal, 50 local women stripped their clothing and plowed their fields naked. The women did this so that the rain god, Varanu (pictured left), would favor them and douse their parched land. Little did they know, that Varanu, is very, very gay.
    In other news, San Francisco has reported record rainfall for another year.

May 27, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

I was waiting for it...waiting for it...
      I just didn't expect it to be from you...
      You know what I mean. ūüėČ
      Cute joke.

May 27, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • ¬©bobcat (in a hat)¬©

banasy©

I really didn't expect that from me either. No malice meant.

How are you feeling now ?

May 27, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Oh, no malice taken, darlin'.
      I feel better, just weak as a kitten...and the flu seems to have settled comfortably in my chest.
      I sound like an old man on a park bench when I cough.

May 27, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ¬©

Boo Hoo @CNN for taking @bobcats joke down. At least I got to see it earlier. I missed this one and I do like it.

May 27, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Spike

Most beautiful site, the Golden Gate Bridge & the City of San Francisco, all in one! Loved the commute across it & it brightened my day.

May 27, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dazzle ©

The Golden Gate Bridge is one of the most beautiful structures in the world. Everyone should take a trip to San Francisco. It is my second most favorite citiy in the world for beauty, culture, and romance next to Paris. ©bobcat (in a hat)©, love the naughty joke about fleas in panties in Florida. Itchy yikes.

May 27, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. slap me

Amazing this was built 75 years ago. And after 75 years, we still can't make cars that get 100 miles to the gallon.

May 27, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • mickey1313

We can make them, we just don't make them. There's not enough profit in it. Just like we don't cure disease, because there isn't any money in the cure, but an infinite amount in the treatment.

May 27, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Oh Well

Nice Flea joke, but why are people wishing an inanimate object "Happy Birthday"?

May 27, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ©bobcat (in a hat)©

After walking across the GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE

A new monk arrived at the monastery. He was assigned to help the other monks in copying the old texts by hand. He noticed, however, that they were copying copies, not the original books. The new monk went to the head monk to ask him about this. He pointed out that if there were an error in the first copy, that error would be continued in all of the other copies.
    The head monk said, "We have been copying from the copies for centuries, but you make a good point, my son." The head monk went down into the cellar with one of the copies to check it against the original.
    Hours later, nobody had seen him, so one of the monks went downstairs to look for him. He heard a sobbing coming from the back of the cellar and found the old monk leaning over one of the original books, crying. He asked what was wrong.
    "The word is 'celebrate'," said the head monk.

Is that more acceptable to you Piers Morgan Sucks ?

May 27, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Don't much know about Pier's opinion, but it made ME lmao...
      Love it!

May 27, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jamison

An American Icon.

May 27, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Caroline

@bobcat(iah), loved the jokes. Dont post on here much but read blogs daily,your funnies always make me laugh. Thankyou, a wee fan from Scotland,now deposited in stormy Pa.

May 27, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Greek American

It is truly a beautiful landmark. Unfortunately, many people use it every year to jump to their deaths in suicide. Sad part of a beautiful thing I guess.

May 27, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

Rice-a-Roni is about as close as I am prepared to get to San Fransisco. I don't plan on getting into any accident scenarios, by inattentive Godlen Gate driving, looking for stupid lights at 55mph.

May 28, 2012 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Dennis

Stay home then.They don't need you and certainly won't miss you.

May 28, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

If they were bright as the sun, at 1:30 in the morning, I'd see my shadow here in Ohio. B.S. Plumb stupid. All bunch of spastics.

May 28, 2012 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |