May 31st, 2012

New York mayor wants big sugary drinks banned

If New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has his way, you won't be gulping down any 44-ounce Cokes at any of the Big Apple's eateries after March 2013.

Citing what he says is the contribution sugary beverages make to obesity in the U.S., Bloomberg says the buck, and the big Dr. Pepper, stops with him.

“Obesity is a nationwide problem, and all over the United States, public health officials are wringing their hands saying, ‘Oh, this is terrible.’ New York City is not about wringing your hands; it’s about doing something. I think that’s what the public wants the mayor to do,” Bloomberg told The New York Times.

Is drinking soda really that bad for you? | What is high fructose corn syrup?

His proposal would ban any the sale of any sugary beverage over 16 ounces in any of the city's restaurants, delis, movie theaters or even street carts, according to reports from New York.

Sales of sweetened drinks larger than 16 ounces would still be permitted in supermarkets and convenience stores, according to the reports, including one from CNN affiliate NY1.

Bloomberg's ban would not apply to diet drinks, juices, milkshakes or alcohol, according to the NY1 report.

The New York City Beverage Association responded quickly Wednesday.

“There they go again. The New York City Health Department’s unhealthy obsession with attacking soft drinks is again pushing them over the top. The city is not going to address the obesity issue by attacking soda because soda is not driving the obesity rates. It’s time for serious health professionals to move on and seek solutions that are going to actually curb obesity,” the group said in a statement, according to NY1.

According to the Times report, more than half of New York's adults are obese or overweight, and the city says more than 30% of its citizens drink at least one sweetened beverage daily.

Child obesity ads aim to create movement out of controversy

James Estrada, a 41-year-old truck driver from Queens, New York told the New York Post that it doesn't make sense to just ban large sizes for everyone.

“I’m 6-2, 230 pounds so . . . serving sizes don’t really apply to me,” Estrada told the Post. “I just know that’s not enough for me. I usually get a large because it’s a good deal and I take long trips. I don’t want to stop every hour for another drink.”

How I kicked my Coke habit

If Bloomberg's plan goes through, there's still a way to drown yourself in Pepsi. The Times says while fast-food restaurants could only give out cups holding 16 ounces or less, free refills are allowed. So just plan for more trips to the soda bar.

Post by:
Filed under: Fast Food • Food • New York
soundoff (1,059 Responses)
  1. Luke

So I can buy a 20 ounce glass of beer, but not a 20 ounce glass of soda? – yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

May 31, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Luke

Gawdammed I'm an idiot

May 31, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Boo

I think it's a good thing. The government needs to step in when people are too stupid to realize that the garbage they are putting in their bodies is making them sick. What happens to people who can't afford healthcare and eat this crap all their life?? ... we end up paying for it (the people who actually pay taxes) and it also leads to rising healthcare costs for everyone. Mayor Bloomberg, I commend you. Keep up the good work!

May 31, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. mirrorview

I'm a native New Yorker and I say a revolution is overdue in that town. Take over the city by voting these clowns out.
    Mayor B already bought his second go around as mayor. What a narcisstic clown you are Mayor B!

May 31, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. Deirdre

I will add my voice to those who think this is an insult to our intelligence and an absurd idea. All you have to do is order 2 drinks if you want them. Just post the calories and let the consumer decide if they want it or not. This used to be a free country . . .

May 31, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. Brian Myers

It's amazing how someone (The Mayor) could be so smart in so many ways but so stupid in so many other ways.

May 31, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. Franklin -- who knows it all!

STUPID LIBERALS!!!

ALWAYS GETTING INTO OUR BUSINESS!!!

May 31, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  6. Duane

Big government trying to run people's lives.....dumb

May 31, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. Tenat

5% of all deaths from diseases of the circulatory system are attributed to alcohol.
    15% of all deaths from diseases of the respiratory system are attributed to alcohol.
    30% of all deaths from accidents caused by fire and flames are attributed to alcohol.
    30% of all accidental drownings are attributed to alcohol.
    30% of all suicides are attributed to alcohol.
    40% of all deaths due to accidental falls are attributed to alcohol.
    45% of all deaths in automobile accidents are attributed to alcohol.
    60% of all homicides are attributed to alcohol.

How much money is spent each year in health benefits for the treatment of alcoholism, how much time is lost at work because of alcohol consumption, how much taxpayer money is spent each year taking care of expenses related to alcohol such as police, fire.

Should we ban the sale of alcohol to only one glass a day per customer. Seems reasonable. We must look out for all the drinkers in the world - we don't want them to turn into alcoholics because by the statistics above people just cant be expected to know when to say when.

The drinking of alcohol should also be banned from looking at these stats.

d be banned as well

May 31, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
    • wheresyoursource

alcohol is obviously bad for you, but what is your source for these stats?

May 31, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Smudgeward

Why doesn't he just ban people from ever dieing at all then we can all stand shoulder to shoulder all living together forevermore.. D'oh!

May 31, 2012 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  8. revolting peasant

I think this is a good policy. People who really want to drink more sode in one sitting can get a refill. Meanwhile, the government is reminding you that drinking that much sugar beverage is so bad for your health that the law blocks the sale of it. It's kind of like tobacco. By having society remind people in lots of different ways that tobacco kills, people slowly start smoking less.

May 31, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  9. mc

When I was a kid, I was not allowed to drink soda. When on vacation, my parents would say... "You can have one soda today" and I would have decide when to have it. It was a treat. Why? Because my parents were doing their job.

May 31, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
    • esoll

Same here, I could not drink any soda with sugar in it while a kid, with exception but they were not so many. Yes, I agree, parent should teach and control their kids, from the start.

May 31, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  10. Marc

How silly, What about the real problems????? Take time for those.

May 31, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mike Brown

The government has no business telling me what to drink!

Where is the government to provide me with disability and medicaid because I'm too obese to even work?

Sorry can't have it both ways.

May 31, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  12. NOT MY CHAIR

its not the drinks its the whole fast food restaurants( if you want to call them that), whats next ban McDonald from new york city? that would have a greater impact than just soda

May 31, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  13. AFVet

Anyone else wondering how Bloomberg is making money off this? Investing in the company that makes the cups for the soda (people will order 2 smaller sizes instead of 1 larger one)? No politician that I know of will take this sort of action just because it is good for the rest of us. What is in this for him?

May 31, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  14. LiberalNewz

As long as I can still buy my crack cocaine.

May 31, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  15. Expresss

Stinking commie liberals just can't stay out of peoples personal lives.

May 31, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |