May 31st, 2012

New York mayor wants big sugary drinks banned

If New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has his way, you won't be gulping down any 44-ounce Cokes at any of the Big Apple's eateries after March 2013.

Citing what he says is the contribution sugary beverages make to obesity in the U.S., Bloomberg says the buck, and the big Dr. Pepper, stops with him.

“Obesity is a nationwide problem, and all over the United States, public health officials are wringing their hands saying, ‘Oh, this is terrible.’ New York City is not about wringing your hands; it’s about doing something. I think that’s what the public wants the mayor to do,” Bloomberg told The New York Times.

Is drinking soda really that bad for you? | What is high fructose corn syrup?

His proposal would ban any the sale of any sugary beverage over 16 ounces in any of the city's restaurants, delis, movie theaters or even street carts, according to reports from New York.

Sales of sweetened drinks larger than 16 ounces would still be permitted in supermarkets and convenience stores, according to the reports, including one from CNN affiliate NY1.

Bloomberg's ban would not apply to diet drinks, juices, milkshakes or alcohol, according to the NY1 report.

The New York City Beverage Association responded quickly Wednesday.

“There they go again. The New York City Health Department’s unhealthy obsession with attacking soft drinks is again pushing them over the top. The city is not going to address the obesity issue by attacking soda because soda is not driving the obesity rates. It’s time for serious health professionals to move on and seek solutions that are going to actually curb obesity,” the group said in a statement, according to NY1.

According to the Times report, more than half of New York's adults are obese or overweight, and the city says more than 30% of its citizens drink at least one sweetened beverage daily.

Child obesity ads aim to create movement out of controversy

James Estrada, a 41-year-old truck driver from Queens, New York told the New York Post that it doesn't make sense to just ban large sizes for everyone.

“I’m 6-2, 230 pounds so . . . serving sizes don’t really apply to me,” Estrada told the Post. “I just know that’s not enough for me. I usually get a large because it’s a good deal and I take long trips. I don’t want to stop every hour for another drink.”

How I kicked my Coke habit

If Bloomberg's plan goes through, there's still a way to drown yourself in Pepsi. The Times says while fast-food restaurants could only give out cups holding 16 ounces or less, free refills are allowed. So just plan for more trips to the soda bar.

Post by:
Filed under: Fast Food • Food • New York
soundoff (1,059 Responses)
  1. BucksFan

First it was smoking, then trans fats, and now soft drinks. The nannies must be stopped!!!

May 31, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  2. NJJoe

Come on Bloomy! You can't regulate people's behavior. Why not start with something that will actually protect us, such as banning HFCS and trns fats used in ALL food products. Then just make cigarettes and alcohol illegal... oh wait, you (the government) actually realize a significant profit form all the tax on both.

Get real.

May 31, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  3. smart marketing

Since elections are right around the corner, makes sense the mayor would create this buzz to get re-elected. No way major companies will let this bill pass or last. Smh

May 31, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. Robbie

Whew. I'm glad Bloomberg has fixed all the city's inconsequential problems with crime, transportation, safety, etc so that he can now concentrate on important stuff like this.

May 31, 2012 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
    • woodofpine

New York City has the lowest crime rates of any large city and lower than most small density areas. It's transportation system is very much above most large cities.

What's your beef?

May 31, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  5. Drinkup

So Glad I don't live in a city that takes more and more freedoms for the people that live and visit there !!!

May 31, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  6. The Babe

Let's see a mayor wants to leave a legacy! What a concept when are you going to outlaw rich guys with a bad comb over out of town?

May 31, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  7. James

NYC FAIL!

May 31, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. JJantzi

Large Milkshake = 1680 calories. Dbl Bacon Cheese burger 1300 calories, BK Triple Whopper 1230 calories, Super Size French Fries 1188 calories. Doughnuts, Ice cream, etc. There are so many things out there that pack on the pounds, if its not pop its something else, is NY going to take on the entire food system? Enough already!!!!

May 31, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  9. intheaspens

What a jacka**. Who does Bloomberg think he is, our parent??? Maybe the idiot should move to some third-world country so that he can be a true dictator.

May 31, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. Tom

Last I checked we lived in America. I agree that a 44 oz drink...be it soda, or water for that matter is more than a human being should consume at one time. But why waste tax payers dollars on this? I dont see Bloomberg banning the Big Mac or those famous slices of New York Pizza...these would be just as detrimental to your health as the soda. Spend the money on jobs, fighting crime. What a crock of ....

May 31, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sharon C

Ban soft drinks over 16 oz, but that 20-32 oz beer that contributes to drunk driving is okay??? Seriously?!?

May 31, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  12. Fenian65

We are becoming such a fascist nation, and getting worse. But I'm sure like everything else we've lost, we'll just let this happen too. We are losing our freedoms people!! Now we won't even be able to go and have a large Pepsi or Coke? What's next??

May 31, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  13. sam

That's ridiculous. If your worried about health try presenting an actual effective, common sense solution. This is like fighting a forest fire with a squirt gun!

May 31, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  14. NOT MY CHAIR

so once again people are to stupid to help them self so the government steps in on something not important

May 31, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  15. lolypup

Im not a soda drinker and the only time I ever do buy a large soda is when I am at the movies as infrequent as that is, so please tell me, NO NOT AT THE MOVIES too? Thats just insane, I mean its bad enough I have to pay $5 for this large drink and you can be sure the movies wills till charge $5 for the smaller one.... Oh' wait I dont live in New York City and when in New York City the last place you will find me is in a movie theatre... Carry on Mr Mayor!

May 31, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |