May 31st, 2012

New York mayor wants big sugary drinks banned

If New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has his way, you won't be gulping down any 44-ounce Cokes at any of the Big Apple's eateries after March 2013.

Citing what he says is the contribution sugary beverages make to obesity in the U.S., Bloomberg says the buck, and the big Dr. Pepper, stops with him.

“Obesity is a nationwide problem, and all over the United States, public health officials are wringing their hands saying, ‘Oh, this is terrible.’ New York City is not about wringing your hands; it’s about doing something. I think that’s what the public wants the mayor to do,” Bloomberg told The New York Times.

Is drinking soda really that bad for you? | What is high fructose corn syrup?

His proposal would ban any the sale of any sugary beverage over 16 ounces in any of the city's restaurants, delis, movie theaters or even street carts, according to reports from New York.

Sales of sweetened drinks larger than 16 ounces would still be permitted in supermarkets and convenience stores, according to the reports, including one from CNN affiliate NY1.

Bloomberg's ban would not apply to diet drinks, juices, milkshakes or alcohol, according to the NY1 report.

The New York City Beverage Association responded quickly Wednesday.

“There they go again. The New York City Health Department’s unhealthy obsession with attacking soft drinks is again pushing them over the top. The city is not going to address the obesity issue by attacking soda because soda is not driving the obesity rates. It’s time for serious health professionals to move on and seek solutions that are going to actually curb obesity,” the group said in a statement, according to NY1.

According to the Times report, more than half of New York's adults are obese or overweight, and the city says more than 30% of its citizens drink at least one sweetened beverage daily.

Child obesity ads aim to create movement out of controversy

James Estrada, a 41-year-old truck driver from Queens, New York told the New York Post that it doesn't make sense to just ban large sizes for everyone.

“I’m 6-2, 230 pounds so . . . serving sizes don’t really apply to me,” Estrada told the Post. “I just know that’s not enough for me. I usually get a large because it’s a good deal and I take long trips. I don’t want to stop every hour for another drink.”

How I kicked my Coke habit

If Bloomberg's plan goes through, there's still a way to drown yourself in Pepsi. The Times says while fast-food restaurants could only give out cups holding 16 ounces or less, free refills are allowed. So just plan for more trips to the soda bar.

Post by:
Filed under: Fast Food • Food • New York
soundoff (1,059 Responses)
  1. Joe T

Because citizens are property, apparently.

May 31, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. Hippiechic

Either this is a free country or it is Not. If people wanna be fat let them be fat if they wana smoke let them. You can not change anyone by force it only creates resentment. I would love to go through his kitchen cabinets and medicine cabinet at that. I am personally bothered by those who have heartburn and we should bane pepto.

May 31, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Ima Robot

Fat people with health problems drive up healthcare costs for everyone. So yeah, some people need to actually have restrictions put on them.

May 31, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  3. columbus

We don't regulate or control the thieves on Wall Street, but the government is going to control what you eat and drink and who you can marry. The government also has plenty of money to bail out the big global corporations who made bad business decisions, but they don't have enough money in SS so that you can retire with a minimum of income, even though you already paid for it. WHAT's WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?????????

May 31, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • smartdrinks

if govt would simply pull the mariage word out since it is religious word and concept, and call it a civil union, it might gain some traction. All the libbys are out of touch with the Bible so it shouldn't matter to them either way as long as they can be happy.

May 31, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. oro

Think of the millions of people who attend professional sports events every year. They sit on their bottom ends for a few hours at a time, consuming fatty and poison laden hotdogs and nachos, drinking carbohydrate rich soft drinks and beer. What a recipe for poor health already and then add in the anxiety of the outcome of the game and we're talking years off of the average life. If I remain a cub fan, I may not make it to retirement! They need to put a limit of attending maybe one or two games per year to protect us from harming ourselves.

May 31, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. Comic Book Guy

Oh no, what ever will I do?

Oh that's right, I'll eat my 17 double cheeseburgers at home while I drink a 6 pack of Mountain Dew on the couch.

May 31, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Marcus_Fenix

17 double cheeseburgers and only 1 six pack of Dew?? You'll cure your munchies bro, but you'll still have the killer cotton mouth dude.

Is this you Kevin Smith???

May 31, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. Albany

The fat and obese people are out in force protesting

May 31, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Lux

it will be a short protest they tire quickley

May 31, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  7. terry nolan

good thing we have the government (both state and federal) what we need to do at all times. makes our lives so much simpler. now all we have to do is hang out on facebook and press the like button. wow, is the common sense, accountability and responsibility gone completely? guess we can remove those words from our dictionaries now.

May 31, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  8. Potrzebie

First they ban smoking in bars, then they ban smoking outside, in the park or at the beach. Marijuana possession was decriminalized in NY State, so if the cops catch you with a misdemeanor amount in NYC, they call child services and have your kids taken away. NYC used to be my favorite place, and now I live closer to it than at any time in my life. I won't set foot there anymore. I'm not spending my money to support a penny-ante fascist state. "Potrzebie to NYC: 'Drop Dead.'"

May 31, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  9. fakeandgray

how does this account for free refills?? lol.....

May 31, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  10. Dee G

Seems to me, the ability to become obese is one's own personal choice. Why does Mayor Bloomberg think he has the right to decide what we can eat or drink. Isn't he a republican? I though republicans were for SAMLLER government?!?

May 31, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • columbus

And they accuse Obama of being a Socialist????

May 31, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian

He was a Democrate before running for office. This guy is no conservative for sure and this goes to prove it. Do a little research before posting.

May 31, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  11. Dan G.

Progressives love to tell you what to do. Sorry, but this is just another case of government controlled by the "I know what's best for you" Progressives reaching too far.

May 31, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  12. Albany

Not only fat people are eye sore at the mall and public places, they also drain our healthcare system

May 31, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Maggie McDuh

Then maybe there's something wrong with the system? I agree fat is rarely beautiful, but that doesn't give anyone the right to tell their neighbor what to eat, drink, or wear. Freedom is the foundation of America, without it we have nothing.

May 31, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. Norm

HOORAY!! Now that we're done demonizing and banishing smokers, we can move on to the fatties. The important thing is that we have the gov't telling us who we can hate this week to feel better about ourselves instead of addressing actual issues. Gotta luv nanny state liberals...... as far as they're concerned the only thing you should be allowed to do to your own body is smoke pot and have abortions.

May 31, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  14. Lux

They will take away your rights one by one for your won good it will happen so slowley you wont even know what happened

May 31, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • YoBabyYoBabyYoBabyYo

Lux, that's not true. Listen . . . 1984 and Atlas Shrugged are fictional stories. The events in those books are FICTIONAL. Banning large soft drinks is not the beginning of the end of freedom in America no matter how many times you say it is. You have been hoodwinked.

May 31, 2012 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • columbus

1984

May 31, 2012 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  15. dentont

gov't should stay out. just let insurance companies create new pools for people overweight, the more you weigh the higher your rates. want to lower insurance premiums lose the weight. I know I know, you can't do that, that would be asking people to be responsible

May 31, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |