May 31st, 2012

New York mayor wants big sugary drinks banned

If New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has his way, you won't be gulping down any 44-ounce Cokes at any of the Big Apple's eateries after March 2013.

Citing what he says is the contribution sugary beverages make to obesity in the U.S., Bloomberg says the buck, and the big Dr. Pepper, stops with him.

“Obesity is a nationwide problem, and all over the United States, public health officials are wringing their hands saying, ‘Oh, this is terrible.’ New York City is not about wringing your hands; it’s about doing something. I think that’s what the public wants the mayor to do,” Bloomberg told The New York Times.

Is drinking soda really that bad for you? | What is high fructose corn syrup?

His proposal would ban any the sale of any sugary beverage over 16 ounces in any of the city's restaurants, delis, movie theaters or even street carts, according to reports from New York.

Sales of sweetened drinks larger than 16 ounces would still be permitted in supermarkets and convenience stores, according to the reports, including one from CNN affiliate NY1.

Bloomberg's ban would not apply to diet drinks, juices, milkshakes or alcohol, according to the NY1 report.

The New York City Beverage Association responded quickly Wednesday.

“There they go again. The New York City Health Department’s unhealthy obsession with attacking soft drinks is again pushing them over the top. The city is not going to address the obesity issue by attacking soda because soda is not driving the obesity rates. It’s time for serious health professionals to move on and seek solutions that are going to actually curb obesity,” the group said in a statement, according to NY1.

According to the Times report, more than half of New York's adults are obese or overweight, and the city says more than 30% of its citizens drink at least one sweetened beverage daily.

Child obesity ads aim to create movement out of controversy

James Estrada, a 41-year-old truck driver from Queens, New York told the New York Post that it doesn't make sense to just ban large sizes for everyone.

“I’m 6-2, 230 pounds so . . . serving sizes don’t really apply to me,” Estrada told the Post. “I just know that’s not enough for me. I usually get a large because it’s a good deal and I take long trips. I don’t want to stop every hour for another drink.”

How I kicked my Coke habit

If Bloomberg's plan goes through, there's still a way to drown yourself in Pepsi. The Times says while fast-food restaurants could only give out cups holding 16 ounces or less, free refills are allowed. So just plan for more trips to the soda bar.

Post by:
Filed under: Fast Food • Food • New York
soundoff (1,059 Responses)
  1. Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Blog

I think it is time to rebuild New York using a multi-trillion dollar stimulus plan that stretches over decades and gives full employment to everyone. There are enough things that need doing in terms of infrastructure to employ millions of people for miles around. Put people to work! There are too many things that have been swept under the carpet for too long.
    Raw sewage and other types of pollution are all over the place. That's more important than this latest bit of nonsense.

May 31, 2012 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  2. George

I have more of a problem with people that gamble,smoke and eat too much.Then want the taxpayers to pay when they get sick.Or need to be in a nursing home.

May 31, 2012 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Johnny

And how exactly do people who gamble too much cost the taxpayers money?

May 31, 2012 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Randall

Exactly. I don't want the government to come in and take people's freedom of choice away, BUT if someone CHOOSES to make unhealthy decisions everyone else shouldn't have to pay for it.

May 31, 2012 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. bobby

They would be better off limiting bars to only selling 2 drinks if they are going to control what we drink...absolutely ridiculous.

May 31, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. Stranger

Instead of banning something entirely (this is still a "free" country, right?), lets just educate consumers on what they're putting into their bodies. For example, if you want to buy a 64 oz. soda, you live in America, you get your big ass soda. However, put the nutrition info on the cup so you, at the very least, can learn that 64 oz. of Pepsi contains 800 calories, about 1/3 recommended daily intake, and 224 grams of carbs, about 3/4 recommended daily intake. That's disgusting and the problem is nobody realizes how disgusting that is.

May 31, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  5. F.E.S.

I find it funny that some people are complaining about this. It's not like he's banning soda (which I think should happen) and there are plenty of other sugary consumables on the market to help those of you looking to achieve a diabetic status. I don't understand why this rule doesn't extend to diet soda, though. It's just as bad normal soda. What the bleep?

May 31, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  6. fromrrnm

This is almost socialism at it's best. Right behind our president of the U.S.

May 31, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. Lou Cypher

Typical tyrant, always looking to expand Prohibition.

May 31, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  8. Bill Duke

Pass a law banning NY politicians instead. We'll all be better off for it.

May 31, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  9. mario pavkovich

i just have to bye 4 – 11 oz drinks then

May 31, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  10. Alina1

I am trying do not buy soda, not for myself not for my kids. Actually when they see one they beg me for it, and instead of that I just buy a little pack of apple juice or little pack of organic milk and THEY LOVE IT.
    SAVE YOUR KIDS, stop buying soda.

May 31, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  11. Nick Bruiser

I'm glad that the government is here to regulate what I eat and drink because I'm too irresponsible to take care of myself. Maybe I will have a full time government employee changing my diapers and also chewing food up for me in a few years too because I shouldn't have to do anything for myself other than sitting in a chair and watching TV or playing video games.

May 31, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  12. man4earth

Sounds like a plan to sell more paper and plastic cups.

May 31, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  13. Bobby

What really sucks it that when you buy a bigger drink it's usually cheaper than buying 2 half it's size. I'm sure the fast food chains are all for it. The only reason government does anything is because there is a way to make money for the industry so they will support that candidate for the next election.

May 31, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  14. Little Man

Once again our freedom of choice is being taken away by the man.

May 31, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  15. Brian

Soda is a terrible product. I stopped drinking it years ago and immediately lost some weight and felt better. To ban any soda over 16 ounces though seems draconian to me. This isn't like the regulation that they put on salt in NYC restaurants or ban on trans fat. People didn't realize what they were eating. Do people not realize that a 30 oz jug of soda is bad for you? I have a hard time believing that. This seems to me to be something that should fall under the category of personal responsibility.

May 31, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • fromrrnm

I quit drinking soda's, too. But our rights are slowly and surely being taken away by the government. What's next? No more TV's because it causes "couch potatoes", no computers or cell phones because people spend too much time on them, no more saltine crachers because of salt, no more pinto beans because it causes gas, no more chewing gum because it is spit on the ground. Where does it end? When do the people of this country say ENOUGH is ENOUGH and get some bollocks to put an end to it?

May 31, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |