May 31st, 2012

New York mayor wants big sugary drinks banned

If New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has his way, you won't be gulping down any 44-ounce Cokes at any of the Big Apple's eateries after March 2013.

Citing what he says is the contribution sugary beverages make to obesity in the U.S., Bloomberg says the buck, and the big Dr. Pepper, stops with him.

“Obesity is a nationwide problem, and all over the United States, public health officials are wringing their hands saying, ‘Oh, this is terrible.’ New York City is not about wringing your hands; it’s about doing something. I think that’s what the public wants the mayor to do,” Bloomberg told The New York Times.

Is drinking soda really that bad for you? | What is high fructose corn syrup?

His proposal would ban any the sale of any sugary beverage over 16 ounces in any of the city's restaurants, delis, movie theaters or even street carts, according to reports from New York.

Sales of sweetened drinks larger than 16 ounces would still be permitted in supermarkets and convenience stores, according to the reports, including one from CNN affiliate NY1.

Bloomberg's ban would not apply to diet drinks, juices, milkshakes or alcohol, according to the NY1 report.

The New York City Beverage Association responded quickly Wednesday.

“There they go again. The New York City Health Department’s unhealthy obsession with attacking soft drinks is again pushing them over the top. The city is not going to address the obesity issue by attacking soda because soda is not driving the obesity rates. It’s time for serious health professionals to move on and seek solutions that are going to actually curb obesity,” the group said in a statement, according to NY1.

According to the Times report, more than half of New York's adults are obese or overweight, and the city says more than 30% of its citizens drink at least one sweetened beverage daily.

Child obesity ads aim to create movement out of controversy

James Estrada, a 41-year-old truck driver from Queens, New York told the New York Post that it doesn't make sense to just ban large sizes for everyone.

“I’m 6-2, 230 pounds so . . . serving sizes don’t really apply to me,” Estrada told the Post. “I just know that’s not enough for me. I usually get a large because it’s a good deal and I take long trips. I don’t want to stop every hour for another drink.”

How I kicked my Coke habit

If Bloomberg's plan goes through, there's still a way to drown yourself in Pepsi. The Times says while fast-food restaurants could only give out cups holding 16 ounces or less, free refills are allowed. So just plan for more trips to the soda bar.

Post by:
Filed under: Fast Food • Food • New York
soundoff (1,059 Responses)
  1. comnsnc

That's not too much Government. Must be a Republican idea.

May 31, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Alex in NJ

You'e kidding right? Bloomberg is a lifelong Leftist Democrat who pretended to be a Republican to ride Giuliani's coat tailes. Right now he's an, "Independent." If you think this is too much government, maybe you should come over to our side.

May 31, 2012 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • nalda

The Nanny state is a Democratic goal

May 31, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. comingsoon

you think wall street has your health as the top priority? hahahaha. somebody in power wants the market all to himself, that's all.

May 31, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  3. TonyC

So let's get this right, under this proposal I can't go to a deli and get a large soda and a veggie sandwich, but I can go to a crappy convenience store and get 5 hot dogs and a soda? How is that fair commerce? It isn't for those who can't figure it out. But it will drum up a lot of business for lawyers and judges to toss this one out. What an idiot...

May 31, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • JB

But what is to ban you from getting 2 sodas then equalling the same amount. There is no way that this is enforcable.

May 31, 2012 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  4. Parkerman

oh boy! here we go. The goverment now gets to tell us which foods we can or cannot eat. Is this the USSR or America for crying out loud. You can't force people to be healthy just like you can't force people to be moral. If you cannot legistate morality then you cannot legislate what we eat.

May 31, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • John

Your not really educated are you? Oh wait your fat and out of control!! haha

May 31, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  5. Zoe

When McDonald's first opened, the largest soda size was 7 ounces. Today, that would be way too small for most people. Personally, I think it would be a good idea to ban sodas larger than 16 ounces in restaurants. America needs to learn how to do things in moderation and perhaps we need our hand held for the first few steps.

May 31, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • honest john

So will the ban on large drinks include diet coke? Maybe this will just create a black market for smuggling in large cups and 2 liter bottles.

May 31, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Zoe

I'm sure it would include diet drinks as well because they are still bad for you in large ammounts. And maybe it would create a black market, but maybe doesn't mean definitely. I see no need for a black market, however, when it is still possible to purchase large sugary drinks at a grocery store. However, I can still see some benefits coming from this. People won't have so much soda in one sitting and perhaps it will help with the whole moderation thing I was talking about.

May 31, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Steamr

But moderation should be a PERSONAL choice, NOT a government edict! Having battled weight issues myself in the past (not only a soda drinker, but a MAJOR-league "chocoholic", LOVE a good cheeseburger & fries!), I've been able to keep my weight in check with a vigorous exercise program (swimming & cycling), & when I do eat fast foods, keeping the portions in moderation on my OWN decision. NO WAY should this become law!

May 31, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  6. Pappa Smurf

Hey liberals, Where are you with your "Keep your laws off my body"?

How about "My body, My Choice".

You libs have no problem putting laws into place that affect someones "choice" with their body when it fits into your agenda.

May 31, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Parkerman

Well put!

May 31, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Steamr

Who says liberals are for this? (I consider myself one, & DAMN PROUD of it!). See my other post on this – I moderate MYSELF, would be TOTALLY against this.

May 31, 2012 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Alex in NJ

Nail on the head. I just have a huge problem calling Leftists, "Liberal." Liberal implies you are for more liberty, which Democrats/The hard Left clearly is not. Libertarian Republicans are the only real liberals in the true definition of the word.

May 31, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  7. honest john

So then people will just buy a 12 pack of cans and drink more then one at a time. Bloomberg is a moron if he thinks this will do a thing.

May 31, 2012 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  8. erich2112x

They'll just fill their 12 oz drinks four times at the all you can drink soda dispensaries located off to the side after you place your order.

May 31, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  9. Quest1

Better ban coffee also. That has been shown to lead to health issues as well. It kills brain cells.

May 31, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. bjr

Will the mayor also be establishing a mandatory bedtime for the citizens as well?

May 31, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  11. Old-skool conservative

"The city is not going to address the obesity issue by attacking soda because soda is not driving the obesity rates." - HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

May 31, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • KforU

Oh yes it does, big time actually.

May 31, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  12. Tom

Yes it is about time they do something about that evil sugar! Now people can be free to drink a 40 oz and hit little Timmy with their car and thank got now we can fill are lung with the healthily effect of smoke! Our livers and lungs will be so much better now that we are going after the real problem sugar!............

May 31, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  13. John

In the spirit of our knowledgeable Greek and Roman ancestors, I proclaim a Toga party for tonight. I just ask that you don't bring your sorrow, but your joy to the party.

May 31, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  14. Mrs. Katz

American Idol should be banned......... that's what should be banned, I tell you.........

May 31, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  15. doublellnfl

Well this is what happens when you keep reelecting the same person over and over, power corrupt absolute power corrupts absoultly, save NYC vote him out..

May 31, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |